Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 12:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
An EXPLORER, not an INTRUDER. Intruders go into someone else's land. the tribes in the Americas had no concept of land ownership so there is no way one could 'intrude' on their land.
Also, of COURSE he didn't know EXACTLY where he was. Again, he was EXPLORING. You don't explore knwon areas. You explore unknown areas. Duh.

"Beautiful cities" is an opinion. From the drawings I've seen there was nothing beautiful about them. Primitive huts and an occasional pyramid temple for human sacrifice. Like I said: savages.
The bottom line is that all those tribes don't even amount to a minor foot note in history. They just don't rise to the level of being important by any stretch of the imagination. Colombus is more important than everything about them. He did more in one year to change the world than their entire civilizations (and I use that term loosely) did during their entire existance.
Not true. Hernando Cortes described Teotihuacan (Mexico City) to be as beautiful or more so than Venice. What you see today are only ruins that are thousands of years old. Let's see how many of our modern buildings can survive that long. What would future societies judge about our aged buildings in their future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The government and bank workers needed a three day holiday in October and the only other option was Halloween which did not appeal to the Christians.

Personally, I do not celebrate Columbus Day (even though I am 1/2 Italian) because I think what happened to the Native Peoples when this continent was "discovered" and populated by Europeans is an abomination.

Samhain, on the other hand, is celebrated in my house.

Happy Halloween y'all.

20yrsinBranson
I agree, and I think reparations are in order. Let's start with giving them your home.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
While the tribes in the Americas may not have had a concept of land ownership, they certainly did have an understanding of territorial ownership. In that sense, intrusion was certainly possible.

OK, I'll agree with that. They had no sense if individual land ownership but they certainly did understand territorial ownership as you said. We know that because tribes often foiught their neighbors over territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
To the Spanish crown, he was an explorer. To everyone else on Earth, he was an intruder. Pure and simple.
To everyone in the civilized world he was a hero. To those in the new world... well, they didn't know about him because they didn't have newspapers or any other way of getting the word out.

Quote:
You just can't get past your racist, myopic Eurocentrism, can you?

LOL @ Eurocentrism. I loath people with a pro-Europe liberal elitist snobish attitude. However, in 1492 Europe was the civilized world. One might make an argument for China or a few other small areas but no way could anyone make that claim for the Americas. YOU, on the other hand can't seem to get past your "Noble Savage" view of the indigenous people of the Americas (Noble savage in this case don't actually mean "savage" in the modern concept. I think its a literary term).

Quote:
Savages? Ever heard of slavery or the Inquisition?
Yawn. I probably know more about the Inquisition than you. Did you know that less than 1% of those charged with a crime in the Inquisition were convicted? Did you know that Muslims kiolled mroe people in the past three years than were convicted and executed during ALL of hte Inquisition. The Inquisition is the boogyman that the left brings out to scare people with little knowledge of what it actually was.

Quote:
Yup. He introduced disease, slavery, colonialism, and other pestilence to what is now known as the Americas. Good for him.
They already had diseases, just different diseases. Colonialism is a GOOD thing. It allows an indigenous population's tech level to be raised by the investment of time, knowledge, and money of a foreign power. India today is a great example of how a society benefits from colonialism. They would not be the vibrant strong capitalist democracy they are today without British colonialism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Not true. Hernando Cortes described Teotihuacan (Mexico City) to be as beautiful or more so than Venice.
But, but, but... Hernando Cortes was a European and if I've learned anything from Lucario in this thread it is that Europeans can't appreciate anything about the indigenous peoples of the Americas. They only came their to wipe them out and take their gold.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:

To everyone in the civilized world he was a hero. To those in the new world... well, they didn't know about him because they didn't have newspapers or any other way of getting the word out.
Please define "civilized."

Quote:
LOL @ Eurocentrism. I loath people with a pro-Europe liberal elitist snobish attitude. However, in 1492 Europe was the civilized world. One might make an argument for China or a few other small areas but no way could anyone make that claim for the Americas.
See above.

Quote:
YOU, on the other hand can't seem to get past your "Noble Savage" view of the indigenous people of the Americas (Noble savage in this case don't actually mean "savage" in the modern concept. I think its a literary term).
What in the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
Yawn. I probably know more about the Inquisition than you.
Now that is funny.

Quote:
Did you know that less than 1% of those charged with a crime in the Inquisition were convicted? Did you know that Muslims kiolled mroe people in the past three years than were convicted and executed during ALL of hte Inquisition. The Inquisition is the boogyman that the left brings out to scare people with little knowledge of what it actually was.
Even if I believed this, it has nothing to do with the points I was making.

Quote:
They already had diseases, just different diseases. Colonialism is a GOOD thing. It allows an indigenous population's tech level to be raised by the investment of time, knowledge, and money of a foreign power. India today is a great example of how a society benefits from colonialism. They would not be the vibrant strong capitalist democracy they are today without British colonialism.
'Nuff said. You've proven my point.

Quote:
But, but, but... Hernando Cortes was a European and if I've learned anything from Lucario in this thread it is that Europeans can't appreciate anything about the indigenous peoples of the Americas. They only came their to wipe them out and take their gold.
I don't know why the Europeans came, except for they happened upon this land. I do know what the result of their arrival was, however.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why do we celebrate Colombus day?

Colombus never set foot in the 50 states.

One of the reasons we celebrate Columbus Day call the natives Indians and named the continent after an Italian map maker is we don't celebrate Zhang He Day. Zhang He supoosedly sailed Around the Americas and along the Pacfic Northwest in the year 1421. He also gave the Ventians a map in 1434 showing a relatively accurate drawing of the Pacific coast of the Americas. The existence of a narrow strait at the southern tip and the eastern coast as far north as Brazil . The reason he did this was to get the Ventians and other barbarians to follow him to China and pay tribute to his Emperor Yongli.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
@Lucario

I'm done debating in this thread. I've made my points and you seem unable or unwilling to grasp them or embrace a point of view other than your own. We could keep going until the NEXT Colombus Day and nothing would change. I wish we had a "Hernando Cortez" day too. Throw in "Francisco Pizarro" too. We could make them all part of "Hispanic Heritage Month".

Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
@Lucario

I'm done debating in this thread. I've made my points and you seem unable or unwilling to grasp them or embrace a point of view other than your own. We could keep going until the NEXT Colombus Day and nothing would change. I wish we had a "Hernando Cortez" day too. Throw in "Francisco Pizarro" too. We could make them all part of "Hispanic Heritage Month".
Fine with me. It matters not to me one iota whether you understand my point. I have always understood yours.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I don't understand why we celebrate anyone's birthday? I understand Labor day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and new yar, but other people's birthday?
Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth.

The bigger question is "who cares"? Take a freaking day off people. Don't like Columbus Day? Call it something else.

Why are so many people only happy if they have something to complain about. Stop worrying about inane things and you'll lead a much happier life.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:33 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
So the government androids and the unions can have a paid day off yet the schools all teach that Columbus never discovered America, and rightly so, since it was never lost.. It's merely a hack's day off.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
So the government androids and the unions can have a paid day off yet the schools all teach that Columbus never discovered America, and rightly so, since it was never lost.. It's merely a hack's day off.
Hey, I don't care if it's Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and pink french naughty monkey day, so long as I get the day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies