Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
why the derogatory remark you don't want to discuss it then don't
Most of your remarks are derogatory. You have obvious biases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:15 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
We celebrate Columbus Day to commemorate a great man who sought a shorter trade route to India to reduce the cost of goods to Europe. He was a risk-taker, a visionary, and an explorer – all things we admire today. He failed to find that route but he discovered America instead. Yes, he “Discovered” America as far as the civilized world was concerned. Yes, there were a few primitive tribes already here, as well as animals and plants but no civilization to speak of. The discovery of America was one of the greatest events in the history of the world and he deserves to be remembered for it.

He also has more streets named after him than anyone else in America -- even more than US presidents. Sadly, most of the streets are in bad neighborhoods.

Technically, Christmas is a celebration of a birthday.

Great post!

Kwanzaa is a fake holiday made up by 60's black radicals. No one I know (of any race) celebrates it. Most people wouldn't even know about it except enough people have made jokes about it that it has entered into mainsteam knowledge.
columbus was not a great man in anyway- he discovered nothing

Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Most of your remarks are derogatory. You have obvious biases.
whatever get some rest

Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That is what I was taught: that Columbus was the first to travel to the 'new world', then return to Europe, tell others about it, and then sail back to the same area (twice). Hence, others soon followed him, carrying, for some strange reason, blankets full of disease and (I suspect) bedbugs.

Remember: if you ever go off exploring strange new worlds, take clean blankets with you. Don't haul around your nasty, yellow-fever infested blanket. They are not worth near as much as you think on the open market.
Europeans really WERE the filthiest humans on the planet at that time.

In all ways.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 PM

"On October 12, 1492 (the first day he encountered the native people of the Americas), Columbus wrote in his journal: "They should be good servants .... I, our Lord being pleased, will take hence, at the time of my departure, six natives for your Highnesses." These captives were later paraded through the streets of Barcelona and Seville when Columbus returned to Spain." [4]

"From his very first contact with native people, Columbus had their domination in mind. For example, on October 14, 1492, Columbus wrote in his journal, "with fifty men they can all be subjugated and made to do what is required of them." [5] These were not mere words: after his second voyage, Columbus sent back a consignment of natives to be sold as slaves"

doesnt sound like a person who deserves a national holiday to me-
Columbus Day: American Holocaust and Slave Trader

Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 PM

also logged on 10 12 1492, they traded and gave every thing they had with good will I warned my men to take nothing from the people without giving something in exchange

Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
"On October 12, 1492 (the first day he encountered the native people of the Americas), Columbus wrote in his journal: "They should be good servants .... I, our Lord being pleased, will take hence, at the time of my departure, six natives for your Highnesses." These captives were later paraded through the streets of Barcelona and Seville when Columbus returned to Spain." [4]

"From his very first contact with native people, Columbus had their domination in mind. For example, on October 14, 1492, Columbus wrote in his journal, "with fifty men they can all be subjugated and made to do what is required of them." [5] These were not mere words: after his second voyage, Columbus sent back a consignment of natives to be sold as slaves"

doesnt sound like a person who deserves a national holiday to me-
Columbus Day: American Holocaust and Slave Trader
sounds like the democratic party to me bring on the seiu

Old 10-09-2010, 08:57 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
He also has more streets named after him than anyone else in America -- even more than US presidents. Sadly, most of the streets are in bad neighborhoods.
Careful how you word that.......MLK Blvds, Streets, Avenues, etc. are in predominately Black neighborhoods......someone might label you racist for implying that black neighborhoods are bad (which more often than not they are).

Old 10-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
also logged on 10 12 1492, they traded and gave every thing they had with good will I warned my men to take nothing from the people without giving something in exchange
oh they took and gave -but what they gave wasnt wanted, maybe you should read further:
According to Columbus:

"they are artless and generous with what they have, to such a degree as no one would believe but him who had seen it. Of anything they have, if it be asked for, they never say no, but do rather invite the person to accept it, and show as much lovingness as though they would give their hearts." [7]

Nonetheless, later in the letter Columbus went on to say:

"their Highnesses may see that I shall give them as much gold as they need .... and slaves as many as they shall order to be shipped

Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
yeah it should be replaced with native american day
That is the greatest idea posted on this board. There are none more noble than the Native Americans. Their society was not based on greed, gluttony and annihilation like the european culture that decimated them. Theirs is a culture worth celebrating and remembering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies