Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:28 PM

952 posts, read 942,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker
For the right-wingers, opinions are facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
For left-wingers, feelings are facts.

Here're the facts:

the Right is right,

the Left is wrong.

Last edited by alphaluce; 10-08-2010 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It works both ways. Many don't even bother to try to debate the CONTENT of a URL and base their opinions on the URL itself.

Huffpost, Fox, and the survey sites.

Unemployment data came out today. Did I read the entire article ?
No..I went to the BLS and read the data for myself and then went back and read the article.

Depending on who authors the article is which part of the BLS report they want to publicize. They all cherry pick to promote what THEY want to promote.
There is truth to this when I see someone use fox as their post I will look up the story to verify accuracy as I don't trust fox as a rule. but I will at least verify what they say. and get it with less the slant.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:17 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
For left-wingers, feelings are facts.
they are ... if you don't like animals getting killed...then killing animals is wrong. its a fact that you believe this if you feel that way.
regresives on the otherhand, think that whatever their overlords feed them is facts...for example i had a teacher that believed in giants and showed our class a youtube video filled with what were obviously faked pictures of "giant human bones" next to people for size comparison. he also showed a video of a "how dumbass are Obama supporters" because they apperantly drove into the water by accident trying to bring in their boat.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
So, you listen to Maher and Jon, attempt to sort out and correct their strong biases and then deride your dad for watching a "biased" news channel.

Makes perfect sense in some parallel universe.
what are you talking about? are you asking the poster to be less informed so that he may agree with his father since his father agrees with you? you want the poster to be LESS informed and to simply agree with their dad? ive seen Jon omit many of the facts when making fun of Liberals...so yes, you should inform yourself more...liberals always have MORE of the story than regresives.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Also known as "Confirmation bias" and applies to even ardent scientist and intellectuals. Why, because it is a human trait to seek out information that supports our positions. Not exactly a ground breaking revelation and certainly doesn't just apply to Tea Party folks.

Smart People Believe Weird Things: Scientific American
"Smart People" as in anti-agnostic whoreders of information...Smart people can belive in aliens and conspiracies and "God".

Old 10-09-2010, 03:08 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times
For the Reich Wingnuts, lies are facts.

According to Forbes Magazine, Shrub voters helped 14 trillion evaporate.

Quote:
Clinton inherited a $290 billion deficit from George H.W. Bush. He reversed Bush's and Reagan's trickle down economic policies, raising taxes on the wealthy, and reducing them on the working and middle classes. He was able to reduce the deficit every single year of his presidency. By 1997, the government was running budgetary surpluses, the first since 1969. He delivered a $230 billion surplus in 2000.

Bush reversed Clinton's policies, lowering taxes on the very wealthy - his "base" as he called them - and effectively raising them on everyone else. In his first full year at the helm of the economy, he delivered a $157 billion deficit, and he never looked back. By 2004, the deficits were topping $400 billion a year. While Clinton delivered surpluses, Bush's deficits totaled some $3.7 trillion over his eight-year term. Clinton 6: Bush 0.

There is no subtlety, no ambiguity about the data or the economic performance they reveal. By every single measure, Bush's policies and tenure were worse - much worse - for the American economy and the American people than those pursued by Bill Clinton. And we are still living today in the aftermath of the destruction they have wrought.

We could add any number of other measures as well, measures not offered up by Forbes but which are still straightforward indices of economic performance. Clinton reduced poverty, from 15.1% when he took office to 11.3% when he left. Bush increased it, from 11.3% when he started to 12.5% at the end of 2008.

The stock market more than tripled under Clinton's tenure. The Dow went from 3,241 when he took office to 10,587 on the day he left. It actually declined under Bush's tenure, from 10,587 on the day he took office to 8,281 on the day he left. Between the recent stock market collapse and the housing crash, Bush destroyed more than $14 trillion in consumer wealth, a staggering, almost incomprehensible legacy of devastation that will haunt Americans for decades to come.
Ouch. Truth hurts?

Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
"Smart People" as in anti-agnostic whoreders of information...Smart people can belive in aliens and conspiracies and "God".
Yup, and you can usually spot those as being the people claiming to have found "truth".

Old 10-09-2010, 10:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
For the right-wingers, opinions are facts.
and that only works one way. My or my, do we have a closed mind?

yes, you do!!!!!

Nita

Old 10-09-2010, 02:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
So, you listen to Maher and Jon, attempt to sort out and correct their strong biases and then deride your dad for watching a "biased" news channel.

Makes perfect sense in some parallel universe.
No no, I watch them for the comedy aspect. I actually find them funny, and seems that their satire holds more truth than most of the news programs I watch. Why do you think the news programs run clips from their shows all the time?

I get my news from the paper, internet, updates on my phone, etc. I do watch the evening news, thirty minutes is enough for me.

What my Dad, and other people who don't know the whole story do, is listen to one or two opinion shows, no news, and think that they know everything. This is hardly ever the case, if ever.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you haven't watched Beck, recently. Yesterday he implored all his viewers to check out what he said and not to just take it as gospel. He does this all the time but maybe he doesn't make the announcement in the first 5 minutes of his show so lefties miss him saying that.
Yeah, I do watch them from time to time. Honestly there isn't enough hours in the day for me to get all of the sources I'd like.

But how are they supposed to check out what they say? The internet? many of the people don't have it, or don't use it. Most of their audience doesn't surf the web at all, I know many of my family members don't. So saying "check it for yourself" is hard to do when most folks don't have time or the means to check it.

And yes, I have seen them be somewhat right on issues, but then they spin it to the worst possible outcome possible, or they just tell it wrong to begin with. Remember, Fox news went to court to fight for the right to lie to their viewers, under the fact that their programming isn't news, its entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies