Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Have you ever seen Blazing Saddles, Joe Dirt, Something about Mary, Def comedy jam or many more who say racial things about blacks, mentally disabled, hicks and everything inbetween?
Everybody gets hit on in a comedy, ya just can't go around being a wussy, why can't a gay punch line be used without the world coming to an end.
If ya don't like it don't go see it.
Just want to speak up and agree with you on that. People need to learn how to distinguish between a joke where no harm is intended, and true bullying behavior or discrimination.

"I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry" is one of my favorite movies from recent years, and it was widely criticized by many as "anti-gay".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Nope. The point is try and act like gays have it as bad as blacks did.

There is no comparison. And gay folk have equal rights. I can't think of any rights straights have that gays don't.
I don't have to have it as bad as black people did to make my oppression valid. That you dismiss it so easily says a lot. If you can't think of any rights that you have that I don't, you haven't been paying attention.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
I'll answer it for you Hetrophobes.

No it shouldn't have been changed, instead you Homosexuals should have just put on your big girl panties and laughed along, the rest of us don't throw a tizzy fit when something as little as that comes along, an example because we know your going to ask is the stupid things they say on those redneck comedy tours or when black comedians make fun, we don't start huffin and puffin with our little tender feelings hurt, we laugh along or we don't go see them.
Stop
Why would anyone take you seriously when you insult everyone who's gay in your "advice", or is it a demand?

A joke is only acceptable when the viewing or listening audience is not offended. That means that jokes are relative to the audience. In this case, I find the comparison of gay to "bad" in the movie trailer to be offensive. When someone says "That's so gay" they are hardly saying it's a good thing. If there was a term to describe you and someone began to use it as a measurement of or comparison to undesirable things, would you just laugh along in your "big girl panties" and let your "little tender feelings" get hurt? I don't think so. Your post is more offensive than the movie trailer.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There is no comparison. And gay folk have equal rights. I can't think of any rights straights have that gays don't.
The most obvious one to me is the special right that straight people in the military have, which allows them to talk about their boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, and wives, without having to fear being kicked out. That is blatant, government-sanctioned discrimination against homosexuals, and I can't see how any fair-minded person could endorse such a policy.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Why would anyone take you seriously when you insult everyone who's gay in your "advice", or is it a demand?

A joke is only acceptable when the viewing or listening audience is not offended. That means that jokes are relative to the audience. In this case, I find the comparison of gay to "bad" in the movie trailer to be offensive. When someone says "That's so gay" they are hardly saying it's a good thing. If there was a term to describe you and someone began to use it as a measurement of or comparison to undesirable things, would you just laugh along in your "big girl panties" and let your "little tender feelings" get hurt? I don't think so. Your post is more offensive than the movie trailer.
Don't cry, I care less how you take it. it just shows how right I am about some people.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:05 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Don't cry, I care less how you take it. it just shows how right I am about some people.
Care less than what?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:09 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Sounds to me from reading the "joke" that gays need to be a little less trigger happy - good GRIEF...........

Old 10-10-2010, 03:18 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Right now, gays and lesbians are actually denied 1138 rights given to heterosexuals. Here are some of the ways in which GLBT people are not equal under the eyes of the law:

* Marriage: In all but four states, same sex partners cannot legally wed.
* Protection from Discrimination: In many states, you do not have the right to protection from harassment and discrimination based on sexual orientation.
* Joint Taxes: GLBT couples cannot file taxes jointly; as a result, taxes for a GLBT couple can be significantly higher.
* Hospital Visitation: GLBT couples have no legal right to visit a spouse in the hospital and can be barred from entering the room by medical personnel.
* Estate Taxes: GLBT couples cannot pass their estate to a spouse tax-free, which creates a huge tax burden that can result in the loss of a spouse's home or business.
* Job Security: In a majority of states, employees can be fired just for being gay.
* Immigration: GLBT partners are denied special consideration for the immigration of a spouse, often resulting in a painful separation when a loved one is from a foreign country.
* Property Taxes: GLBT partners must pay property tax when transferring property between spouses.
* Social Security: GLBT partners are not eligible to receive a spouse's Social Security pension or many other government benefits.
* Medical Decisions: During a medical crisis, GLBT couples cannot legally make treatment decisions for their partners.
* Domestic Violence: GLBT people cannot get domestic violence protection orders against a partner or former partner.

To see the other 1127 rights, and to read stories from people whose lives have been dramatically affected by not having the same legal protections as hetero couples, check out the Equality Matters website.
Nothing you listed is a right.

For example: job security is not a right. My employer can fire me for any reason at any time.

And single people pay higher taxes than marrieds. People without kids pay higher taxes than those with kids.

You don't have to be married to have an order of protection filed.

Everyone now pays estate tax.

As I said, gays have no less freedom than other groups.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The most obvious one to me is the special right that straight people in the military have, which allows them to talk about their boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, and wives, without having to fear being kicked out. That is blatant, government-sanctioned discrimination against homosexuals, and I can't see how any fair-minded person could endorse such a policy.
Freedom of speech is denied to every military member. You agree to it when you join.

And trust me, NCOs can say things that enlisted can't. Officers can say things that NCOs can't.

Blacks can say things whites can't. Whites can say things blacks can't.

Some gays have talked about with no repercussions. Other have been discharged.

There were things I couldn't say or do when I was in the Army without ramifications so I didn't do them.

Gays are not treated any differently than anyone else in the military.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I don't have to have it as bad as black people did to make my oppression valid. That you dismiss it so easily says a lot. If you can't think of any rights that you have that I don't, you haven't been paying attention.

Gay people are not oppressed.

It's total nonsense to say they are.

They may face some discrimination here and there. But so does everyone else. It's called life. Get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies