Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:10 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times

Advertisements

"Could our wealth be distracting us from the things that matter most – the things that bring true joy?"

Poor, Rich Men: The Paradox of Poverty in Haiti | Psychology Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Could our wealth be distracting us from the things that matter most – the things that bring true joy?"
No. It's the pursuit or love of wealth that distract from things that matter most.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,203,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. It's the pursuit or love of wealth that distract from things that matter most.
Good point. I chose that line to include because I'm constantly getting sent to time-out for quoting too much of an article in my OPs. Possibly this is more precise, if not as intriguing as (I'd hoped) the first was:

"...even though they lack the very things we spend the bulk of our days working for, and despite the unimaginable suffering they endure, their lifestyle reveals one of the greatest paradoxes I’ve seen with my own two eyes: some of the materially poorest of people are also the wealthiest in joy."

Old 10-10-2010, 04:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,755,002 times
A very good post about choosing God over man and his material world. The flesh will always let you down. The Holy Spirit will not.

Great example of Psalm 90.

USCCB - NAB - Psalm 90

Old 10-10-2010, 04:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times
What in the hell is this article doing on a Physchology Today website? It should be on Guideposts or something.

Anyway. Funny you should mention this because my dh's aunt Pauline spent many, many months in Haiti as a missionary (of all things) and she was constantly frustrated because the people there would lie to her about believing in God.

They would go to their NATIVE and INDIGENOUS religions events (which is a form of religion that many people call Voodoo, which is actually a religion that started in Africa and was brought over with the slaves to the new world).

She told me that they would "accept Jesus" into their hearts to get a free meal or some clothing or a bath, but then as soon as that was over an done with, they would revert to their own religion without a moments thought. She told me she actually heard a woman say..... "oh yeah, I believe in Jesus as long as it get me somethin'..." and thought that was quite funny.

Apparently, whomever the moron was that wrote this article has some fairyland ideal of what really goes on in Haiti. The reason these people are so happy is because they have maintained their own religious identity despite DECADES of missionaries trying to turn them into something that they are not. They are happy because they have the continuity of a culture that they love and that works for them. Good on them.

God, my tush! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2010, 05:39 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,347,179 times
Almost everyone in America seems to regard wealth and happiness as though they were practically interchangeable..
There are a lot of smart kids who are now more dedicated to making a difference than making a dollar. At least most of them now know, in a deep way, that money doesn't buy happiness.What makes me happiest of all is when someone says "I love you" to me - meaning it as unconditionally as I intend to mean it - and I simply accept it.
Still, when I love without goal and accept love without doubt, I am happy. In this, I am not pursuing happiness. I am becoming it.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Almost everyone in America seems to regard wealth and happiness as though they were practically interchangeable..
There are a lot of smart kids who are now more dedicated to making a difference than making a dollar. At least most of them now know, in a deep way, that money doesn't buy happiness.What makes me happiest of all is when someone says "I love you" to me - meaning it as unconditionally as I intend to mean it - and I simply accept it.
Still, when I love without goal and accept love without doubt, I am happy. In this, I am not pursuing happiness. I am becoming it.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be prosperous. Nature, in it's infinite wisdom wants us to be prosperous. Denigrating people who wish to prosper financially is not fair. They can be just as happy as anyone else. There is nothing wrong with wanting money and working toward that goal.

Now, I am not a materialistic person and I could probably have more money in my life but I am not willing to trade my time for it. Yet, I do not blame people who make a different choice than I do. That is their privilege.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
I agree but alos have talked to pweople who were really in poverty when young inthat country and in cuba. Bascailly they said nothig else matter when you are really hungary.They alos said it would be much worse if not for the properious american help in Haitiand other poor countries. which is what made them want to come to this couhntry in the first place.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times
Thirty Haitian "migrants" found in a boat off shore of Palm Beach County today. It's a very frequent occurrence.

Not so sure they're happier if they keep trying to leave en masse.

But I do agree with the premise that pursuit of wealth and capitalism can and does take away from focus on more important things in life. Most of the time, though, people aren't trying to accumulate wealth, they're just trying to survive!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,776,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What in the hell is this article doing on a Physchology Today website? It should be on Guideposts or something.

Anyway. Funny you should mention this because my dh's aunt Pauline spent many, many months in Haiti as a missionary (of all things) and she was constantly frustrated because the people there would lie to her about believing in God.

They would go to their NATIVE and INDIGENOUS religions events (which is a form of religion that many people call Voodoo, which is actually a religion that started in Africa and was brought over with the slaves to the new world).

She told me that they would "accept Jesus" into their hearts to get a free meal or some clothing or a bath, but then as soon as that was over an done with, they would revert to their own religion without a moments thought. She told me she actually heard a woman say..... "oh yeah, I believe in Jesus as long as it get me somethin'..." and thought that was quite funny.

Apparently, whomever the moron was that wrote this article has some fairyland ideal of what really goes on in Haiti. The reason these people are so happy is because they have maintained their own religious identity despite DECADES of missionaries trying to turn them into something that they are not. They are happy because they have the continuity of a culture that they love and that works for them. Good on them.

God, my tush! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Psychology today has ablog section where you can find all crazy kinds of things. I think OP is trying to cut and paste all of them! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies