Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The only way you can get those who are currently paying nothing to start paying something is either reducing or eliminating some of the deductions and credits (such as deductions per dependent, standard deduction, itemized deductions for property taxes and mortgage interest, child tax credit, etc).

By removing or cutting those deductions and credits you will get those who aren't paying any federal income taxes to start paying something. However, its not just those who aren't paying anything that uses those deductions, and credits to their advantage, most taxpayers do as well, especially the middle class to ease their tax burden. So by doing that you will also cause the taxes on the middle class to skyrocket.
Nobody is arguing that you are wrong... but I haven't heard anyone advocating for taking away those deductions. Your entire argument is falling on deaf ears.
I think there are other ways to fix the tax system.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Nobody is arguing that you are wrong... but I haven't heard anyone advocating for taking away those deductions. Your entire argument is falling on deaf ears.
I think there are other ways to fix the tax system.
Several of the flat tax posters said take way the deductions earlier in the thread.

Anyway, my point is those deductions and credits are the major reason why many people pay no income tax. If you want those who aren't currently paying federal income taxes to start paying them, that is what you need to go after.

If you aren't going to go after those deductions and credits and still want those who aren't paying federal income taxes to start paying them, what are you going to do? How are you going to get them to pay it?

Those who complain about the people who don't pay federal income taxes have still yet to be able to explain how they would start getting them to do so, and what they would do.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Several of the flat tax posters said take way the deductions earlier in the thread.

Anyway, my point is those deductions and credits are the major reason why many people pay no income tax. If you want those who aren't currently paying federal income taxes to start paying them, that is what you need to go after.

If you aren't going to go after those deductions and credits and still want those who aren't paying federal income taxes to start paying them, what are you going to do? How are you going to get them to pay it?

Those who complain about the people who don't pay federal income taxes have still yet to be able to explain how they would start getting them to do so, and what they would do.
I think that we are all on different pages here.
I will speak for myself here... I want to see all employed citizens paying their fair share of taxes (according to the law) If they qualify for deductions & motgage credits, Etc. then fine. If they find enough loopholes to cut their taxes then thats great (as long as it is legal)
The problem that I have is mainly with illegal immigrants, and workers who are getting paid under the table. Of course I am also concerned with tax evaders.
In general, I am ANTI-TAX. let me be clear... I want low taxes for EVERYONE.
Oh no, the Gov't will go broke you say?
To that I say... it is time to cut the fat! We need to cut the size and scope of gov't. We do not need 3 police cars to issue a speeding ticket.
We need our cops fighting real serious crime, and not making calls begging for money
Gov't waste is a big problem. Illegal immigrants, and all tax evaders are also a problem.
We need to simplify!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies