Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:50 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times

Advertisements

President Obama has so convincing won the message war on taxes that according to new Bloomberg poll, nearly half of Republicans support raising taxes on the wealthy.

The Bloomberg poll found that Obama’s job approval rating (53%) is now at its highest level since December 2009. Two to one majorities support the president’s position on protecting Medicare and Social Security.

The biggest surprise in this poll was that despite two years of endless campaigning for not raising taxes on the wealthy, nearly half of Republicans support the president’s position that taxes need to be raised on the wealthy.Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
President Obama has so convincing won the message war on taxes that according to new Bloomberg poll, nearly half of Republicans support raising taxes on the wealthy.
Imagine how much further along toward full recovery we would be had the R's been willing
to cooperate with reality all along.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Imagine how much further along toward full recovery we would be had the R's been willing
And imagine what Obama is offering in exchange for those tax increases.

I'm expecting to see a lopsided trade, again. But don't worry, you guys will think it's awesome, no matter what.

Take a tough stance and when you "give in" the other party has come a lot further off their starting point than you have. Negotiations 101.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Well duh, You knew that when dumbasses of this country reelected him. Yes many of my family and friends are dumbasses.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
My problem isn't with raising taxes, it's:

- What wealthy/rich is characterized as ($200/250k is outdated and too low to be defined this way)
- Spending needs to be cut, wasteful/pork spending especially, and entitlements and welfare re-worked

I suspect many feel the same.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

The Bloomberg poll found that Obama’s job approval rating (53%) is now at its highest level since December 2009. Two to one majorities support the president’s position on protecting Medicare and Social Security.

The biggest surprise in this poll was that despite two years of endless campaigning for not raising taxes on the wealthy, nearly half of Republicans support the president’s position that taxes need to be raised on the wealthy.Source
They're slow on the uptake but I knew eventually they would see reason

Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Isn't that enough to pass the vote ? Or do they need all the Republicans, including Boehner ?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
^I think the poll is on Americans, not Congressional members.

And I don't think Obama has convinced the American people, including Republicans. I think the realization that this is the only step forward, coupled with losing the election, are pushing those Republicans to side with hiked taxes. I have a feeling that if Romney had won, those numbers would not be so.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yea, just imagine lol, the rich could pay for 8 days of running the government then they would have be promoting "tax the middle class".

You don't get it. No matter how much they tax if spending is not under control it will never be enough.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
And imagine what Obama is offering in exchange for those tax increases.
Part of it implemented in Budget Control Act, 2011. The rest is in the package that was delivered to your republican leadership at the same time, and continues to be. The question is, why aren't people like you aware of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies