Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Alas... there are none. I have looked in vain for these funny people "worshiping" evolution. This thread is as void of them as anywhere else I have ever looked.
It's just a silly attempt at the false equivalency of equating acceptance of a scientific principle with religion. The poster who made the assertion probably knows it is a false equivalency (alternately, that poster is profoundly ignorant as to what either the word 'worship' means or the nature of evolutionary biology).

"Evolution is a religion!" is part and parcel of creationist rhetoric and that of their fawning apologists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Not so - and this is where the evolutionists fail miserably - they make a conjecture that says that because we can observe genetic variation and adaptation within a managable timeframe - then the same process over a long period of time resulted in speciation. Yet this is impossible to observe - which makes ToE a pseudoscience - it is based on extrapolation rather then testable hypothesis and empirical data.
Good grief, speciation has been observed many times...

Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
More ignorance...Is there no end to it? I don't know how old you are but because of evolutionary science our life expectancy has increased drastically....Before evolution was accepted as fact in the 1870s human life expectancy was less than 40 years, and it is because of what evolutionary theory has taught us that it is now close to 80 years....
Post hoc fallacy.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Maybe with the recent violent chimp attacks on humans..where the "primate" literally rips the face right of the human's skull...The lefties might be having second thoughts about having a monkey as a father? The term worship is a bit off- Even Jesus did not like people groveling at his feet...But it seems that lefties want to bring us down to the level of animals and worship King APE...forget it...Evolution is adaptation ...evolution is creation...so all those lefties can now comfortably step away and go tame your brother the chimp who hates you so much that he wants to eat your face.
There's your problem, in a nutshell -- you think the acceptance of an aspect of science depends on how much you like it. But reality is completely independent of whether or not Oleg Bach gets a frowny-face or a warm-fuzzy when he reads of it.

Then there's your inane notion that a scientist might reject evolution because it points to the fact that a violent chimp and the same scientist shared an ancestor 5-8 million years ago. By that logic, people should reject the idea that serial killers are human -- after all, they too are violent, and if they are humans then we all share a fairly recent ancestor with them (ie, within the last 100k years).

Do you ever bother to consider the implications of the drivel you write? Ever? Even once?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Post hoc fallacy.
I know...Learning the truth is just not your thing is it?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I know...Learning the truth is just not your thing is it?
Actually, it is.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
Evolution is a liberal conspiracy?

I personally think anyone who believes in genesis is a complete moron, but that is your right. I will add that I know smart people that are Christians and believe in genesis, so please excuse my statement somewhat.

Of course I've studied every creation myth known to us and realize the correlation between the ancient gods such as Marduk and Amun and how they relate to the more modernized Christian version of the same story.

I do believe in God however.

Did it ever occur to any of you that God created evolution?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, it is.
Then there must be another reason for your ignorance. Some kind of disability perhaps?
You make all kinds of statements in your lame attempts to refute the evidence for evolution that posters present to you, and say that creation is a viable alternative, so where is your evidence for creation....There is none right?

This is what your posts remind me of....

Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Actually, it is.
There went my keyboard.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,125 times
Look, when you are raised in a religious family, it's very difficult to come to the realization that your religion is made up. I know, I've done it. You are quite literally brainwashed. To accept ideas that are contradictory to your religious world view would destroy that world view, the one you and your family have held all your life. Cognitive dissonance. It only gets harder as you get older. So some folks double down and will search for anything to support their incorrect world view.

Science, on the other hand, is perfectly happy to change it's world view, and in fact does everything it can to do so. It actively strives to disprove itself, and in the act creates a better and better picture of the world. Religion hasn't changed for thousands of years and doesn't plan to. The bible is the bible and that's it. It doesn't seek to improve, it only dictates. Which really is the whole point of religion, to dictate to the masses and control them. Well guess what, people aren't as clueless about the world around them as they used to be, and belief in religion will continue to shrink. Thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies