Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The Bible does not paint slavery as moral - you are using a common argument that Bible-haters make - and it = FAIL.
The Bible claims genocide and rape are moral if God gives one permission. And who's to say he didn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The Bible does not paint slavery as moral - you are using a common argument that Bible-haters make - and it = FAIL.
The bible paints slavery as simply a daily matter-of-fact aspect of the way life is.
Quote:
Evolution is a myth - not a fact.
Evolution is a fact. Nature doesn't care if you believe it or not. The world will continue to evolve with or without your permission.

The bible is an old middle eastern myth. Amazing that so many in today's so-called western world cling to it.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What I don't get, and, honestly never have, is why this is such an issue for some Christians. If God can do anything, why not evolution? Why is it so impossible to believe that evolution is not part of God's plan? As I always told my kids, we have no idea how long day is in God-time. Who's to say that those six days didn't equal billions of years? Just saying.

Wow I have never heard someone else say this. This is how I think and the conclusion that I came to at a very early age.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Wow I have never heard someone else say this. This is how I think and the conclusion that I came to at a very early age.
This is the view of most mainstream Christian denominations. But the priests and pastors have done a terrible job of communicating this to their flocks.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Evolution is a theory that can be changed as new data is added/dicovered.
Creationism is dogma An unquestioned and unexamined belief. You must believe

Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Evolution is a theory that can be changed as new data is added/dicovered.
Creationism is dogma An unquestioned and unexamined belief. You must believe
Lets remember while the Theory, the explanations can be modified, the facts, the observations of evolution aren't modified - they can be added to.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm a devout Christian, but that doesn't mean I think that evolution, the foundation of modern biology, is incompatible with my faith. I'm also confused how "leftists" are being brought into a discussion of supporting or not supporting science. Saying that 75% of people believe in a creator is very different than saying that 75% of people don't accept evolution as a credible scientific theory.
I am a Roman Catholic and thankfully Catholic Church is out of business of denying Darwin, who by the way, was a Christian believer himself.
Theory of revolution is regarded by most scientist, believers and non-believers, as correct.
You can't really argue with scientist on something that's within their field of expertise. That's as silly as scientist trying to argue theology with theologians.

Last edited by rebel12; 07-23-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Only in america does this debate exist. Even the pope accepts that evolution is a fact.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
It's like saying leftists and their love of Gravity.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:57 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You understand, bashing bigotry, hate and ignorance that are wrapped around religion isn't necessarily bashing religion itself. When someone says "the earth is only 6000 years old becuz the bible tells me so" when I stop laughing I'm not ridiculing their religion, I'm ridiculing their stupidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I've never in my life met anyone who believed, let alone said, that. Have you? Honestly?
Yes.

When my daughter started dating the son of a preacher man, a friend of hers told her that the boy's church was the kind that believed that the earth is only 6000 years old and that dinosaurs and humans once co-existed peacefully. She thought he was making that up. I knew there are people/churches that believe in the 6000-year-old earth, but I didn't know this church was one of them.

She started to attend the boyfriend's church and youth group, and one day she came home in shock and said, "My God, Mom, they really DO believe this. I wanted to laugh and I looked around and no one else was laughing." We had a nice little talk that night.

She dated the boy all through high school and attended the church, and sometimes she was outright disturbed at much of what they preached. The boyfriend didn't seem to be paying too much attention to his church one way or another except that he got to run the music program.

Anyway, this belief is fairly common amongst fundamentalist churches. Fortunately, I am in the Northeast and there aren't too many churches with that type of thinking. I understand it's rather prevalent down south, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies