Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,700 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtjqLUHYoY

This says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And, since homosexuals comprise approximately 10% (or less) of all humanity on the planet, are you saying that you're afraid the other 90% aren't going to produce enough children to keep the species from dying out?
Not to mention the fact that homosexual does not equal sterile! I'm sure, if it were ever necessary, gays and lesbians would be glad to help out by having children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
Whilst its certainly true that being born with a tenancy to not want to procreate would hardly be beneficial to the furthering of the species, not having children is hardly a disability, nor indeed aberration in modern society. We do, after all, have plenty of children.

I merely stated a fact in response to MsMcQLV’s assertion. According to her, no distinction can be made between heterosexuality and homosexuality regarding their ability to do things. I responded by stating they cannot procreate, which is a fact. Nothing else was implied, nor should it be construed.

However, if we only had same-sex unions it would indeed pose a threat. Since that is not the case, I agree, the human species is in no danger of extinction.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
yeah that says tons of nothing other than it is 100% normal to be born straight.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:03 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There is one exception. A same-sex union cannot procreate. In that respect, it could be said that homosexuality is an aberration, given that procreation is necessary for the preservation of the human species.
Yes, and some heterosexual couples can't have kids, should we stop them from getting married?

Not to mention that oh they can't procreate argument might be valid if gays were trying to turn straight people gay, but it doesn't exactly work that way.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:11 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
I merely stated a fact in response to MsMcQLV’s assertion. According to her, no distinction can be made between heterosexuality and homosexuality regarding their ability to do things. I responded by stating they cannot procreate, which is a fact. Nothing else was implied, nor should it be construed.

However, if we only had same-sex unions it would indeed pose a threat. Since that is not the case, I agree, the human species is in no danger of extinction.
But it is NOT a 'fact'. True a homosexual couple (two men or two women) on their own cannot procreate. But should they choose to have children, they can use the same resources that are used by thousands of heterosexual couples with fertility problems every day. And just because they prefer not to engage in intercourse with the opposite sex does not mean they are incapable of doing so. Just look at the men who come out as gay after years of marriage and children. It's incredibly sad that they ever felt the need to hide who they were, but it shows that such subterfuge actually works, doesn't it? So, no, homosexuality is NOT a 'disability' at all.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Yes, and some heterosexual couples can't have kids, should we stop them from getting married?

Not to mention that oh they can't procreate argument might be valid if gays were trying to turn straight people gay, but it doesn't exactly work that way.
Why is this such an issue? At no time did I state that homosexuals are sterile, that we are all obligated to procreate, or that anyone is trying to turn straight people gay. Why not respond to what I actually stated, rather than hyperbole?

Again. The assertion was made that there is nothing heterosexuals can do that homosexuals can not. I responded by stating that a same-sex couple cannot procreate. Is that not a fact?

Quote:
But it is NOT a 'fact'. True a homosexual couple (two men or two women) on their own cannot procreate. But should they choose to have children, they can use the same resources that are used by thousands of heterosexual couples with fertility problems every day. And just because they prefer not to engage in intercourse with the opposite sex does not mean they are incapable of doing so. Just look at the men who come out as gay after years of marriage and children. It's incredibly sad that they ever felt the need to hide who they were, but it shows that such subterfuge actually works, doesn't it? So, no, homosexuality is NOT a 'disability' at all.
Oh, please. Of course a gay couple can use a female to produce a child. My only point is that together two men in a sexual union cannot procreate, nor can two women. So it is indeed a FACT that a same-sex couple without the assistance of a member of the opposite sex cannot produce offspring. Unless there is a phenomenal medical breakthrough, the continuation of the human species relies on the union of a sperm and an egg, period.

I truly don’t understand the hostility. Apparently even mentioning a biological fact is considered anti-gay. You guys are incredible.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:56 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
I truly don’t understand the hostility. Apparently even mentioning a biological fact is considered anti-gay. You guys are incredible.
The hostility comes from the fact that you seem to be using this fact as a reason to deny marriage to gay and lesbian couples. If that is not your intention, then clarify why you are even bothering to bring up this fact.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Even if it were a choice, so what? If a person supports freedom and liberty, why should they care about other peoples' sex lives?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:04 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Oh, please. Of course a gay couple can use a female to produce a child. My only point is that together two men in a sexual union cannot procreate, nor can two women. So it is indeed a FACT that a same-sex couple without the assistance of a member of the opposite sex cannot produce offspring. Unless there is a phenomenal medical breakthrough, the continuation of the human species relies on the union of a sperm and an egg, period.
True. A man-man or women-women couple cannot naturally create a child. However, that does not mean that "homosexuality is an aberration, given that procreation is necessary for the preservation of the human species." Homosexually naturally occurs in essentially all higher animals including humans. There are many theories and a few concrete example of how homosexuality in a population HELPS in the propogation of the species. While in humans it many not aid in the propogation of the species , it CLEARLY doen't harm. That would make it a vestigial trait - a perfectly normal vestigial trait.

Quote:
No, what I bolded isn't it. It was your choice of words and tone that may leads other posters into assuming that you're anti-gay. You called homosexuality an "aberration" - the primary definition being having strayed away from the right and moral way. It seems as though you believe homosexually to be inherently wrong, detrimental, and immoral.

Maybe you could answer a few simple questions to clear your position up:

1) Is homosexuality inherently wrong, incorrect, or immoral?
2) Does homosexually, or societal acceptance of homosexuality, threaten humanity? If so, how?

Old 10-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The hostility comes from the fact that you seem to be using this fact as a reason to deny marriage to gay and lesbian couples. If that is not your intention, then clarify why you are even bothering to bring up this fact.
At NO time did I even reference gay marriage. You commented that there is NOTHING heterosexuals can do that homosexuals can not. I responded that a same-sex union cannot procreate. I’m not sure how that is construed as being anti-gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Even if it were a choice, so what? If a person supports freedom and liberty, why should they care about other peoples' sex lives?
I don’t care about the sex lives of others. I was responding to an incorrect statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
True. A man-man or women-women couple cannot naturally create a child. However, that does not mean that "homosexuality is an aberration, given that procreation is necessary for the preservation of the human species." Homosexually naturally occurs in essentially all higher animals including humans. There are many theories and a few concrete example of how homosexuality in a population HELPS in the propogation of the species. While in humans it many not aid in the propogation of the species , it CLEARLY doen't harm. That would make it a vestigial trait - a perfectly normal vestigial trait.

No, what I bolded isn't it. It was your choice of words and tone that may leads other posters into assuming that you're anti-gay. You called homosexuality an "aberration" - the primary definition being having strayed away from the right and moral way. It seems as though you believe homosexually to be inherently wrong, detrimental, and immoral.

Maybe you could answer a few simple questions to clear your position up:

1) Is homosexuality inherently wrong, incorrect, or immoral?
2) Does homosexually, or societal acceptance of homosexuality, threaten humanity? If so, how?
I mentioned aberration in that alone a same-sex union cannot preserve the human species.

Look, it is not my position to pass judgment on others. To each his/her own. I have a close gay friend, and I do believe his attraction to men is innate. In fact, I am his confidant, so I clearly understand the trials and tribulations most gays endure. He was absolutely devastated by the fact that his sister would not allow him to babysit her son. He was almost in tears. He told me, “I am gay. I am not a pedophile.”

As a black woman, I have firsthand experience with bigotry and discrimination, so I empathize with gays. However, it is disheartening to not even be allowed to express an opinion, or state a fact, without being labeled a hater. That is what I find so annoying about many gays. It’s as though you have a huge chip on your shoulders, and anyone who does not agree with everything you say, is automatically anti-gay. You want others to accept you, yet you are unwilling to accept others. Why?

If you are happy in your relationship, why should I care? I realize many do not believe in God, but I do. And, the God I serve commands me to NOT judge others, and to first remove the speck from my own eye. How can I, a sinner, presume to be the arbiter of morality?

I wish you all the best, I truly do. But, there will never be a harmonious relationship between gays and straights, until you remove that chip. Every comment is not intended to offend or be judgmental. Some comments are simply to state a fact. That was the sole purpose of my initial post. If my reference to aberration was offensive, please accept my sincere apology, because that was not my intention.

Now, I will return to a less hostile environment of Sunday football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies