Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,713,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
On this forum, there are so many conservatives namely Evangelicals that endorse home schooling yet there isn't one member on this forum that is willing to admit they were home schooled. Statistically speaking, Evangelicals account for the largest percentage of home schooled students. Conservatives on this forum routinely advocate home schooling going so far as to claim it offers a superior education to that of the public schools. Yet, why is it that not one conservative member on this forum can admit he or she was home schooled? If you feel home schooling is credible and superior then why can none of you admit to being home schooled? Is it that you are lying and genuinely don't find home schooling credible and are afraid to admit that?
Maybe the people on this forum were not home-schooled
People can voice their opinion even if they weren't home-schooled themselves
do all gay rights supporters admit that they are gay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,594,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why would they lie? It is well known home schooling students score higher than their public school counterparts.

"They score an average of one grade level higher than P.S. students their age on national scholastic achievement tests"

"On average, home school students in grades one to four performed one grade level above their age-level public/private school peers on achievement tests."

"Home school students did quite well in 1998 on the ACT college entrance examination. They had an average ACT composite score of 22.8 which is .38 standard deviations above the national ACT average of 21.0 (ACT, 1998). This places the average home school student in the 65th percentile of all ACT test takers."

Yes, but on average home school kids don't include special ed statistics. Public schools do.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Yes, but on average home school kids don't include special ed statistics. Public schools do.
Public schools have mainstreamed all the kids so SPED is included like it or not because EVERYONE can.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 AM

13,681 posts, read 20,825,980 times
Quote:
On this forum, there are so many conservatives namely Evangelicals that endorse home schooling yet there isn't one member on this forum that is willing to admit they were home schooled. Statistically speaking, Evangelicals account for the largest percentage of home schooled students. Conservatives on this forum routinely advocate home schooling going so far as to claim it offers a superior education to that of the public schools. Yet, why is it that not one conservative member on this forum can admit he or she was home schooled? If you feel home schooling is credible and superior then why can none of you admit to being home schooled? Is it that you are lying and genuinely don't find home schooling credible and are afraid to admit that?
Honestly, I have never heard of anyone on the right advocating home schooling.

And the only home schooled people I ever met were some Evangelicals, as you mentioned. And that skiier Bode Miller. He was home schooled.

Kind of like a real non-issue.

Last edited by Moth; 10-18-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,628,849 times
Quote:
I'd openly say it as a badge of honor. Most home schooled folks I know get a better education than the public skool system. There's a reason most of the national academic competitions are usually won by home schoolers.

The moms I know that do it are quite capable...having been teachers before they had babies. They're able to give 1-1 attention to their kids--something a teacher with 20 kids can't do--even if she's got a para.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,594,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Public schools have mainstreamed all the kids so SPED is included like it or not because EVERYONE can.
If no child gets ahead, then no child is left behind.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
If no child gets ahead, then no child is left behind.
Yes indeed..NCLB..lower the bar so that "no child is left behind".

Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,351,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes indeed..NCLB..lower the bar so that "no child is left behind".
Right behind vs Left behind.

I can really get behind where you're coming from.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,593,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I am curious knowing nothing about home schooling, how do the parents get on if their child in the last two years of home schooling is taking advanced maths and physics ?
Do they get tutors in for calculus etc ?
The vast majority of people I have known who homeschool do so until high school, and then send their kids to public or private school for that very reason.

I believe kids who are bright will do well either at school or being homeschooled. The biggest issue I have is that of socialization, which is essentially the focus of elementary school. I have known homeschoolers who have their children enrolled in a variety of activites to booster their social interactions, such as scouts, music groups, etc, but know of others where the children are fairly isolated. I can't imagine this boding well for these particular children's futures. Test scores mean nothing if you can't get along with people.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 AM

7,977 posts, read 7,372,169 times
I wasn't home schooled, but my oldest daughter was. It was her choice. She had an on-line curriculum, reinforced with a lot of historical field trips (Gettysburg, Mt. Vernon, Monticello, Washington, D.C.), educational reading (she was reading the John Jakes historical novels at 12), and helping out at her grandparents' business, which she later took over running (they are now in their 80's). A second store was added when she was 22, and that could not have been done if she hadn't taken such an interest in the products (whole foods and nutritional supplements).

She is not "introverted" as a result of being home schooled. She is happily married, has many friends, and has developed a rapport with her customers. She knows and greets them by name, and if she does not have what they are looking for, she'll make every effort to find and get it. She reads all the product literature and records shows like Dr. Oz to keep up with trends, so when customers ask for something new, she is familiar with it. She amazes me, and I'm not just saying that because I'm her mom. I keep thinking that if she'd stayed in public school, what would her life be like now? Would she have partied, done drugs, gotten pregnant? How different would she be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies