Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times

Advertisements

On this forum, there are so many conservatives namely Evangelicals that endorse home schooling yet there isn't one member on this forum that is willing to admit they were home schooled. Statistically speaking, Evangelicals account for the largest percentage of home schooled students. Conservatives on this forum routinely advocate home schooling going so far as to claim it offers a superior education to that of the public schools. Yet, why is it that not one conservative member on this forum can admit he or she was home schooled? If you feel home schooling is credible and superior then why can none of you admit to being home schooled? Is it that you are lying and genuinely don't find home schooling credible and are afraid to admit that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 12:06 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
On this forum, there are so many conservatives namely Evangelicals that endorse home schooling yet there isn't one member on this forum that is willing to admit they were home schooled. Statistically speaking, Evangelicals account for the largest percentage of home schooled students. Conservatives on this forum routinely advocate home schooling going so far as to claim it offers a superior education to that of the public schools. Yet, why is it that not one conservative member on this forum can admit he or she was home schooled? If you feel home schooling is credible and superior then why can none of you admit to being home schooled? Is it that you are lying and genuinely don't find home schooling credible and are afraid to admit that?

I think you do not realize how short in number of years people have been allowed to home school children. If there are home schooled people here, they are young, or well in the Golden years. Most on here are in between that 2 age groups. So the where are they unfornately doesn't apply to 99% of the people on the boards. I wish I had been allowed to be home schooled.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
I firmly believe in the merits of home schooling but I wasn't a Christian until the age of 19. I have no clue what my mother's view on homeschooling as I never got to ask her before her death but I doubt that she was in any shape to handle homeschooling me. Homeschooling isn't for every family as it requires a steadfast commitment to providing your child with a enriching educational experience. Not every believer in homeschooling is in a position to actually homeschool their children due to work or other issues. As a proponent of homeschooling, I feel that parents have the rights to homeschool their children if they wish but I don't fault them if they need to place their children in public schools out of necessity. The only ones that have issues are those against homeschooling - I believe that parents are ultimately responsible for their child's education and they have a legitimate reason to be concerned with the dismal success rates at our nation's public schools. Not everyone can afford private especially without any sort of voucher system so homeschooling is the only viable option for many families.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Why would they lie? It is well known home schooling students score higher than their public school counterparts.

"They score an average of one grade level higher than P.S. students their age on national scholastic achievement tests"

"On average, home school students in grades one to four performed one grade level above their age-level public/private school peers on achievement tests."

"Home school students did quite well in 1998 on the ACT college entrance examination. They had an average ACT composite score of 22.8 which is .38 standard deviations above the national ACT average of 21.0 (ACT, 1998). This places the average home school student in the 65th percentile of all ACT test takers."

Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
It is well known SOME home schooling students score higher than their public school counterparts.

I'm sure that's what you meant to say. I've known some homeschooled kids in my time and for the average kids even "some" is being generous.

I'm not anti-homeschool at all, but I don't really look at homeschooling the way many do. I'm thinking more of those who just have so much to offer and the the ways and means to provide experiences to their kids that normal school shadows in comparison. Most people can't offer that. And I'm also aware that extremely bright children can do well anywhere, but can do especially well when their parents are able to nurture their strengths in conjunction with traditional school or in place of it. And there are always children who just don't fit into the typical school setting for any number of reasons and homeschooling is a fabulous option for them.

Homeschooling because you think schools are too liberal, too multicultural, too secular, etc. usually doesn't usually result in better educated children, just more ignorant ones. And if you think you can teach your kid all they need to know by reading from a book, but have no actually knowledge or education yourself, you can't.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:43 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I think you do not realize how short in number of years people have been allowed to home school children. If there are home schooled people here, they are young, or well in the Golden years. Most on here are in between that 2 age groups. So the where are they unfornately doesn't apply to 99% of the people on the boards. I wish I had been allowed to be home schooled.
I'd agree with that, homeschooling, more often little to no schooling back in the day was common from those going straight to work and little value was placed on education. Homeschooling seems to be more of the trend in the past 20 years or so. Most of the evangelicals went to christian schools and make their children go as well.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 AM

54 posts, read 111,406 times
Why would they themselves have to have been homeschooled to believe it superior?
I wasnt homeschooled (it just wasnt done) yet homeschool my own children, being a large advocate for the practice.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:39 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,761 times
Quote:
I am curious knowing nothing about home schooling, how do the parents get on if their child in the last two years of home schooling is taking advanced maths and physics ?
Do they get tutors in for calculus etc ?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:56 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It is well known SOME home schooling students score higher than their public school counterparts.

I'm sure that's what you meant to say.
No I didn't. I put up three quotes showing the average home school student scores better than the average public school student. It is not some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've known some homeschooled kids in my time and for the average kids even "some" is being generous.
It's not about the ones you've known. However it is well known that home schooled children score higher on average than public school children. If you have proof otherwise please provide it.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
I'd admit I was home schooled if I was but that wasn't even an option when I was in school. I know I would have benefited from it tremendously as my Mother is quite intelligent and would have been excellent teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I am curious knowing nothing about home schooling, how do the parents get on if their child in the last two years of home schooling is taking advanced maths and physics ?
Do they get tutors in for calculus etc ?
One of the benefits of home schooling is you can tailor the curriculum to the needs/interests of the child which I think is more important than using the "one size fits all" approach schools use. Teaching advanced subjects is important too at least to the extent they aren't lost when they get into college. I'd imagine a lot of parents can handle it with a refresher. If they can't or the child shows an aptitude and interest for those subjects I would hope the parents would be smart enough to get them into an environment where they could expand their knowledge on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies