Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did NPR make a mistake by firing Juan Williams
yes 146 86.90%
no 17 10.12%
other 2 1.19%
not sure 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 AM

30,118 posts, read 18,720,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Between your use of the word "token" in your previous post and your use of the word "masters" in this post I think there is little doubt left who is the bigot in this dicussion.

The video clip repeatedly shows Juan defending Muslims, making the distingction between extremists and moderate Muslims, and stating "we are not at war with Islam". His time is spent correcting Bill O'Reilly for generalizing too much and pointing out the importance of making the distinction between moderates and extremists. There was absolutely nothing bigoted about his remarks. Nothing.

Great point. Too bad I can't rep you more. (it is a fun way to spend a day off!)

It is the typical lib using racist and slanderous terms to any minority group that does not march in lockstep with far leftist liberal policy. How many times have liberals called blacks "Uncle Toms"? That is essentially what Upton here is calling Juan Williams, simply because he does not agree with him.

Racism and bigotry has become just another tool by the left to suppress opposition thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 AM

13,669 posts, read 20,811,465 times
Its racism. They fired him because he is black and dared to break from The Man's opinion.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is no diversity of opinion allowed on National Pelosi Radio.
Shame on Juan for not realizing that.
The government media - NPR is extremely controlled. A commentator isn't allowed to say what he thinks if he wants to be on NPR and MSNBC is pretty much the same way. You simply cannot question the liberal political agenda.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,444,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great point. Too bad I can't rep you more. (it is a fun way to spend a day off!)

It is the typical lib using racist and slanderous terms to any minority group that does not march in lockstep with far leftist liberal policy. How many times have liberals called blacks "Uncle Toms"? That is essentially what Upton here is calling Juan Williams, simply because he does not agree with him.

Racism and bigotry has become just another tool by the left to suppress opposition thought.

Now you're putting words in my mouth? Typical teabagger/Pub trick.

My use of the word "token" Democrat in referring to Faux News is not just meant for Juan, it's meant for someone like Beckel or Caddell too.

4,301 posts, read 4,416,348 times
I'm sure people got nervous when they saw nazis in uniform circa 1942. I'm sure Native Americans got nervous when they saw settlers in their neighborhood. I'm sure fellow Muslims get nervous when they see other muslims on planes too (do we really think they don't worry about that too?). Juan was fired because he said something that would hurt NPR's bottom line ($) and that $ is tied to politically correct views that must be espoused even in the face of logic, reality and common sense.

6,484 posts, read 6,625,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
That you don't know is indicative of why Bigotry is such a problem in this Country.
You seem to be ad judgmental as anyone else. Why do you think you have a right to judge? Are you imposing your values on me?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The government media - NPR is extremely controlled. A commentator isn't allowed to say what he thinks if he wants to be on NPR and MSNBC is pretty much the same way. You simply cannot question the liberal political agenda.
Ah, but his comments were not made on NPR. So, NPR fired him for something he said while not on the job. Seems like a pretty clear infringement of his freedom of speech. I hope he sues the heck out of them.

Where is the ACLU on this? Will they rush to support Juan's freedom of speech?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,853,886 times
I haven't found the actual press release on his firing yet, but after reading the following story from Feb 2009, I would guess that the current incident was probably just the final straw.

Juan Williams, NPR and Fox News : NPR Ombudsman : NPR

Last year, 378 listeners emailed me complaints and frustrations about things Williams said on Fox. The listener themes are similar: Williams "dishonors NPR." He's an "embarrassment to NPR." "NPR should sever their relationship with him."
The latest flap involves Williams' comment on Fox about First Lady Michelle Obama. To date, I've received 56 angry emails. For comparison, this year so far, listeners sent 13 emails about Steve Inskeep, 8 about Mara Liasson and 6 about Cokie Roberts — other NPR personalities who I often get emails about.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Very sad. Juan Williamns is a lib, but he is very rational. I actually enjoy hearing his views of political issues as a counter point to my views. Too bad.

It shows the prevailing fascist sentiment in the liberal media, where any dissent or even slight hint at a deviation from the far left political agenda is not tolerated. Read what he said-

He gets nervous when he sees Muslims in thier garb on an airplane? Who doesn't? I guess if I saw several Muslims in thier traditional attire on an airplane, I probably would not board and would just take the next flight. I personally have not seen any Hindus, Jew, Christians, Shintos, or Budhists blow up airplanes. On the other hand...............................
I'd get nervous if I saw a Christian, Jew, Hindu, or atheist wearing Muslim garb boarding a plane.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,444,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I'm sure people got nervous when they saw nazis in uniform circa 1942. I'm sure Native Americans got nervous when they saw settlers in their neighborhood. I'm sure fellow Muslims get nervous when they see other muslims on planes too (do we really think they don't worry about that too?). Juan was fired because he said something that would hurt NPR's bottom line ($) and that $ is tied to politically correct views that must be espoused even in the face of logic, reality and common sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Ah, but his comments were not made on NPR. So, NPR fired him for something he said while not on the job. Seems like a pretty clear infringement of his freedom of speech. I hope he sues the heck out of them.

Where is the ACLU on this? Will they rush to support Juan's freedom of speech?
look at all the Republicans kissing Juan Williams butt. Do we need anymore proof that Juan is not a REAL liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies