Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm going to figure that "compassionate" is a state-of-mind rather than deeds or actions. So using the criteria, liberals are more compassionate, generally speaking.
You base this upon what? Dont think conservatives care about others? There have been NUMEROUS studies showing conservatives donate more time to charity as well as money. They help the poor more than liberals, again per studies. Which is more compassionate, teaching someone how to get a job and support their family, (conservative methods), or taking someone elses money to give to the family month after month making them feel worthless, unable to contribute, increasing crime, increasing poverty, drug usage, and whatever else I can think of off the top of my head (liberal method). Heck, you cant even claim they care enough to give their own money becaues they dont.. They have no problem taking yours though..
Quote:
Unfortunately when this compassion is put into action, the hoped-for results often are not there and, in fact, the opposite comes to pass.
Because they arent more compassionate. They like to feel that they are helping, we all do, but there is a huge difference in methods and the results..
Quote:
Of course there is the school of thought that a person acts compassionately simply to make himself feel better, and therefore his compassion is simply an act of self-indulgence. I use this theory when I walk by those bell-ringing Salvation Army Santa Clauses that stand our front of stores during the Christmas season. "I'm not going to give you a nickel," I tell them, "because I don't want to be selfish."
Ahh, so liberals dont give because they dont want to be selfish.. mm, interesting theory..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 04:35 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
Neither. Both groups have their pros and cons. The fact is, most people care about others; to an extent. My personal opinion is that we, as a country, are reaching that extent. We just cannot continue all the tax fueled handouts. It's going to bankrupt this country.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:36 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Judging from the members of this board conservatives on average seem much angrier and more hateful to me
I see how you might think that because Facts speak pretty loudly and sometimes seems like shouting at you!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:41 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
With how the deductions are set up most never get to deduct from their taxes because it has to be thousands donated. So .............
I guess it has to do with the different demographics. Democrats for instance comprise a lot of minorities who have less to donate. On the other hand there are also a lot of very rich liberals such as the Kennedy's, a type of people I don't like regardless of their political views.

In my view those conclusions are simply not convincing. My mother for instance is extremely kind and compassionate, but she hardly ever donates anything for various reasons. For instance she simply doesn't trust organizations, nor does she have a lot of time or money to donate. If she were American, she would probably be considered an extreme liberal.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Conservatives tend to support political and social policies that cause hardships for many. (for example: low wages, denying healthcare).
Maybe by tossing out a few bucks they feel good about themselves.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:04 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Conservatives tend to support political and social policies that cause hardships for many. (for example: low wages, denying healthcare).
Maybe by tossing out a few bucks they feel good about themselves.
Liberals tend to support political and social policies that cause hardships for all (for example: Obamacare, union bailouts)

Maybe by tossing out a few bucks to the dark skinned people who live waaaaaaaaaaay over there they can feel good about themselves and claim to not be racist from behind those locked gates.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:06 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Liberals tend to support political and social policies that cause hardships for all (for example: Obamacare, union bailouts)

Maybe by tossing out a few bucks to the dark skinned people who live waaaaaaaaaaay over there they can feel good about themselves and claim to not be racist from behind those locked gates.
Game. Set and match.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
OP, very funny that you quote with approval an article that talks about money as a measurement of compassion. That makes sense, to "conservatives."

Old 10-23-2010, 05:10 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
OP, very funny that you quote with approval an article that talks about money as a measurement of compassion. That makes sense, to "conservatives."
Other links in this thread prove that conservatives give more of their time and labor as well as their money than Liberals do.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:10 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How effective would your compassion be with $0.00? You couldn't even drive to the shelter in town. You couldn't buy food, even cheap food, to give to the poor (which would be you with $0.00).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies