Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I wasn't at the Beck rally, so I cannot speak about its mood. But at this year's 9/12 Tea Party at the Capitol there was plenty of vitriol, paranoia, and outlandish accusations. Plenty of us are tired of hearing "fear the government," "destroying the country," "2nd amendment solutions" and similar hyperventilating.
the 'restoring honor' rally is the one that this one has continuously been compared with, and there were no such examples of vitriol, paranoia, or outlandish accusations. yet it was not a 'fun' event, nor was it ever billed as such.

Quote:
Today's rally was for sanity and reasonableness. That's why it got so much support. It was time to remind America that a big chunk of the country doesn't feel aligned with the message the extremists and media are pushing.
the hitler mustache folks - would you consider them sane and reasonable, or otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the 'restoring honor' rally is the one that this one has continuously been compared with, and there were no such examples of vitriol, paranoia, or outlandish accusations. yet it was not a 'fun' event, nor was it ever billed as such.

the hitler mustache folks - would you consider them sane and reasonable, or otherwise?
I think those folks brought anger to a rally that wasn't about anger. But they didn't know what the rally was going to be about, nobody did exactly.

Really, the climate changed from just this morning IMO.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
One should. BigJon, did you watch the rally?
Yeah. As soon as the Roots got off stage, although I love their music I wasn't interested in watching a concert. Thankfully it progressed in to something better. I do have one argument. Why the heck would they allow a criminal (TI) to have part in the rally? I mean it's not like he had a "few" run-ins with the law.

Overall though I don't think it was horrible. There were people from all sides of the spectrum. I didn't see any far left/right people there.

I am curious though, what did it achieve? Are people suppose to be more sane now? Are people going to give up their fight for what they think is right? Did they move anyone from the far right/left back to center?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
Quote:
Beck is merely one example of the messengers of irrational fear that Stewart and Colbert based their rally on. Did you see the sequence of cable news blowhards and fear-driven news reports they showed at the rally? That is what they're talking about. The rally wasn't really meant as one-upmanship of Beck. It was to show that the hysterical (as in hysteria, not funny) ones do not speak for a large number of Americans.

Quote:
Ever heard of parody? Showing the absurdity of some things?

Anyway, World Series is on.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:49 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah! It even has a copyright on MSNBC's website - Getty Images.

Stewart-Colbert rally draws tens of thousands - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

Just look at those doctored signs!
Wait - you're accepting something from MSNBC as fact? Since when?

Anyway, amazing turnout, great show. I particularly appreciated the bit with Kareem Abdul Jabar and R2D2 - very clever.
One of my favorite quotes: "Your reasonableness is poisoning my fear."

Old 10-30-2010, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
everyone realizes that sign was poking fun at the Obama Hitler moustache signs, right?
I guess not everyone.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
What about the Bush Hitler signs, right?
Right?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
A few hundred in Denver.

9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Denver holds 'sanity rally' of its own

This is all that's available right now in the media.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:00 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,849,592 times
So today's rally was supposed to be the poster child for a perfect gathering filled with all races right? Why do all of the photos I've seen show an overwhelming majority of the people as white?

Where are the thousands of people of color that must have been there somewhere? More importantly, Where are the liberals to call this a racist gathering based on the racial makeup of the attendees?

Sanity Rally PHOTOS: Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert & Many More

Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
So today's rally was supposed to be the poster child for a perfect gathering filled with all races right? Why do all of the photos I've seen show an overwhelming majority of the people as white?

Where are the thousands of people of color that must have been there somewhere? More importantly, Where are the liberals to call this a racist gathering based on the racial makeup of the attendees?

Sanity Rally PHOTOS: Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert & Many More
Whoever wanted to come could come. What are you getting at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies