Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM

38,576 posts, read 22,446,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
A new study shows that increased minimum wage does not increase unemployment.

Over a 16-year period, the study looked at counties that were located across the border from another county that had a minimum wage increase. Instead of increasing unemployment, the study found that higher wages decreased worker turnover.

Does a Higher Minimum Wage Reduce Jobs?

https://udrive.oit.umass.edu/folbre/...ube_proof2.pdf
The study looked at other countries? Great, introduce all the other unknown variables from another country, with different laws, environment, way of life, and a completely different economy and culture, and then claim this all applies to the US?

Its common sense, if a business owner can no longer employ some young teenagers over the summer for low wage, part time work, because government sets the minimum wage to high, and makes those jobs unaffordable, then they will not be employing these high school kids.

If every job is now getting paid a "livable wage" then there will no longer be any more entry level unskilled jobs for young workers to cut their teeth on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,182,198 times
Default There you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The study looked at other countries? Great, introduce all the other unknown variables from another country, with different laws, environment, way of life, and a completely different economy and culture, and then claim this all applies to the US?

Its common sense, if a business owner can no longer employ some young teenagers over the summer for low wage, part time work, because government sets the minimum wage to high, and makes those jobs unaffordable, then they will not be employing these high school kids.

If every job is now getting paid a "livable wage" then there will no longer be any more entry level unskilled jobs for young workers to cut their teeth on.
Don't you know better than to make sense?

Next thing you know, you will use the "R" word.. (Responsibility) Then you'll get emasculated by an entire group of frothing at the mouth rabid freeloaders.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:01 PM

415 posts, read 562,526 times
The original study was comparing "counties" not "countries."

Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,519,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

But it's not fair.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 PM

38,576 posts, read 22,446,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
The original study was comparing "counties" not "countries."
LOL, my bad.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,224,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually you just discredited your own point. Zimbabweans are among the poorest because they devalued their dollar making its worthless.

When you just inflate payroll to something, say the $60 an hour example, you are pretty much saying our dollar is worthless and you need to pay people $60 an hour in order to = what they were making before..

The higher the "living" wage is, the poorer the nation is.. because the dollar buys less..
It's for this reason that poverty is an essential (and acceptable) part of capitalism. For the most to live comfortably it's necessary that some live without many needs. The trick is not to wind up in poverty.
How this all works out. The Lords hold a chunk of raw meat. The wild animals are released from the cage and compete with each other for the chunk of meat. This we call civilization.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,393,513 times
my fathers father made sure he did better than his father, and that I did better than him,and I have steered my son to do better than I have.....most of the people in poverty dont know who their Fathers are let alone be influenced by them.......yeah LBJ's GREAT SOCIETY at work
my babies daddy...or my udder babies daddy

Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,286,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
First off, trickle down money won't work in the example you give. Adam Smith proved the fallacy the money is wealth in Wealth of Nations a long time ago. You can't just give people moeny for no reason and create wealth. If you could the President Obama's economic plan would have worked.

Secondly, so what if Target pays the CEO 13 million a year. Obviously they can afford and think he/she is worth it. If you don't agree with it then don't shop there.

Thirdly, it is impossible for a company to pay any one person too much and stay in business. For example, you buy a house and live in it for 25 years. You pour all your resources into your kitchen and ignore the rest of the house. And the end of 25 years you want to sell it. I come to look at it. I see this marvolous kitchen with all the latest appliances, immacualate marble countertops, $100,000 cabinets and so on. Then I look at the rest of your house and I see holes in the walls, torn carpeting, plumbing that is substandard and so on. Your house is worth zero.

Same thing applies to a business. If a company pours all it's resources into one area (the CEO) then the rest of the company is worthless. And they are no longer a business. Companies know this so they avoid the whole bancruptcy thing by not overpaying a CEO in the first place.

Just another example of how the free market is already doing what people want the government to "fix".

And to be blunt it doesn't really matter if you approve of someone else's salary or not. If you think a company is overpaying someone or not paying someone enough then take your business elsewhere. If enough people agree with you then the company will no longer exist. All the jealousy by liberals of CEO pay isn't going to change a damn thing.
Guess people will make anything up to make excuses for greed. You know many companies could pay more but they pay as little as possible to put more in their pockets. Why don't they just pay .1 an hour so all their employees can be homeless? Where is appreciating your employees and paying them a decent wage because you value them? Instead company owners only care about themselves.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:46 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,286,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Study is wrong and not complete enough to make this judgment.

As a business owner I could not afford to pay higher minimum wages to people who can only sweep floors and put light bulbs in.

Min wage should be lowered and you will see a massive increase of new hires.

Min wage is there for a reason, non skilled, no talent/value to the business people who just barely earn their paycheck.

When the last minimum wage increase took effect it wipes out jobs at my bank, at the gym, my favorite antique mall laid off floor personnel and cut down to one cashier and many small businesses in my area laid off workers.

It increases the expenses of a small business and during down economy we are having right now, it kills business.

Someone mentioned that it then cost us all more money for a product because the business is paying out more money and getting less value back from a min. wage employee.

Put it back to 5.15 per hour and the economy will start moving again.
If you are not going to pay them much why not just not hire them and do it yourself? Good business owners know how to hire the right amount of people. The better you pay and treat your employees the more loyalty they will have for you and the more they will want to do well at their job.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,393,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Guess people will make anything up to make excuses for greed. You know many companies could pay more but they pay as little as possible to put more in their pockets. Why don't they just pay .1 an hour so all their employees can be homeless? Where is appreciating your employees and paying them a decent wage because you value them? Instead company owners only care about themselves.
if that is how you feel I guess you had better jump into owning a company so you can turn it all around most min. wage earners are high school kids working places like Mickey,D's they aren't homeless they live with their parents.
I have found that when I agreed to work at lower wages than I wanted ,if I showed the owner I was a hard worker and showed up everyday and was dependable he would gladly raise my pay so as to keep me as a "valued employee" you arent owed anything it must be earned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies