Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 PM

53 posts, read 192,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw in nj View Post
i really think that in counting the unemployment numbers...not only should the people on unemployment be counted but the millions of people who have turned to welfare and who are actively seeking work....there should be a place we can go to register to say ...hey we are still unemployed and looking for work...then the numbers would be correct....just because we are 99ers doesnt mean we still arent looking....DONT FORGET US IN YOUR NUMBERS....

If there was a website like this would you sign into it every week to check in? Do you think others would do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cep2535 View Post
If there was a website like this would you sign into it every week to check in? Do you think others would do the same?
I would.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 PM

34 posts, read 76,839 times
It is sad to be a 99er it is even more sad to be a 99er and not even think about looking for work.But what is even more sad then that is the people who come on these unemployment websites just to put down those who are having a hard time and the constant you are owed nothing crap.Always remember you reap what you sow.It is not about being owed it is called helping those who through no fault of there own lost there jobs and still can't even find a small paying job.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 PM

311 posts, read 694,184 times
Dont forget people like me that never got unemployment.There are a ton of us.IF you quit or get let go too early you cant get ub.If you work a temp company and the work dries up good luck getting ub.Does the unemployment rate only count people that file for ub?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
The people who are severely underemployed should also be counted. Also, people who have involuntarily taken early retirement (they want to work) and people who have chosen to be housewives or househusbands but who want to work should be counted as unemployed.

Furthermore, 50% of college students should be counted as unemployed as far as I'm concerned. The reason most of them are in college is because they could not find adequate jobs with the education they already had. This is a hidden form of unemployment. (The unemployed auto-worker who is retraining to become a nurse should be counted as unemployed.)

The real unemployment rate in this country is probably closer to 20% and if you factor in significant underemployment it's probably closer to 30%. Heck, if you count people who are earning poverty-level wages who cannot really support themselves without some form of government help it might be closer to 40%.

I'd like to see employment stats measured in terms of the percentage of the populace earning income at certain levels. That stat might be very telling because it would show us what percentage of the populace is working poor, giving us a better sense of the actual state of the nation's economy and job market.

I'd also like to see a stat that measures the percentage of working-aged people who are employed. Every month our nation needs about 150,000 net new jobs merely to keep pace with our explosive population growth (about 3+ million/year). As I understand it, the percentage of working aged people who are employed has been steadily decreasing for years. This stat might be a little more informative than the unemployment number.
I repped you As always , great Post !

Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 AM

41 posts, read 76,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cep2535 View Post
YES YES YES I WOULD DO IT EVERY DAY IF NEEDED..well i'm on my way to Kohls for an interview

Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcrds View Post
It is sad to be a 99er it is even more sad to be a 99er and not even think about looking for work.But what is even more sad then that is the people who come on these unemployment websites just to put down those who are having a hard time and the constant you are owed nothing crap.Always remember you reap what you sow.It is not about being owed it is called helping those who through no fault of there own lost there jobs and still can't even find a small paying job.
I'm a 60 year old 99er, I lost my profession due to this economy, I look for work EVERY day and I'm here to tell you there is HUGE age discrimination going on. I've called the EEOC and DOL and they've both told me it's near impossible to prove for an EMPLOYEE let along an applicant even though I have several really good cases per a friend that's a lawyer. Corp America has been allowed to get away with it for decades, but now with HC going up and the HC companies charging more for the older worker, we are screwed.

I continue to certify - I live in GA, I WANT to be counted and I do keep a record of all my job apps as if I still collected UI.

However, in the current NEW climate, I doubt anything will be done to help any of us.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM

34 posts, read 76,839 times
same boat but 55 next month.I apply for a job that is open and then do not get a call.Go back there a few weeks later and some 25 year old are there clueless but learning the job.

But people on this site claim we are owed nothing there should be no tier 5 we are lazy will not work.

I have a perfect driving record for the last 10 years i known my city like the back of my hand.I have delivered in this city for 2 different places.

I STILL can't even get a pizza delivery job let alone what i did delivering auto parts and tires.

Both places i worked gave me good references yet younger people are now getting those jobs which always went to older people.

But with the downturn they can pick and choose who they want.

So do not come on here and tell me we are not looking for work cause we do there just are none out there.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM

41 posts, read 76,514 times
well i just got back from Kohls,,,,tell me your opinions....I got there had a group interview, then i was told the job is for approx 16 - 20 hrs per week at 7.25 per hour.....i live about 20-25 miles from this store..so in my opinion this isnt even worth the drive...oh and they split the hours into 4 hour shifts...so i'd be spending more in gas then its worth....also once i get any kind of a job i'll lose my medicaid and food stamps........its a vicious cycle we are in...but on the news today i heard that perhaps monday our government is going to discuss what they can do for the unemployed...

Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw in nj View Post
well i just got back from Kohls,,,,tell me your opinions....I got there had a group interview, then i was told the job is for approx 16 - 20 hrs per week at 7.25 per hour.....i live about 20-25 miles from this store..so in my opinion this isnt even worth the drive...oh and they split the hours into 4 hour shifts...so i'd be spending more in gas then its worth....also once i get any kind of a job i'll lose my medicaid and food stamps.......
Transportation expense is a biggee. It's not only the gas, which in your case would be at least $110/month, it's wear and tear on the car - oil, tires, whatever. You're traveling over 1,000 miles a month. So, if you gross $628/month, deduct $110 gas, SS $40, you're down to $478/month before income taxes and auto wear and tear. Then loss of food stamps and health insurance, looks like you're a loser. Do you still receive unemployment benefits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies