Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,649,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really? Please point out where the Dems have suggested spending cuts and ramping back the size of government. Seems to me they have done just the opposite.
You misred my post. I am talking about the Dems are whining about Republicans being in control of a ton of redestricting which they will obviously try to do in their own favor. The Dems are just upset that THEY are not the ones getting to do redistricting in their own favor instead. So they whine about the Republicans doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 PM

22,223 posts, read 19,532,347 times
A few states have Independent redistricting. Both California and Florida voters just passed Independent redistricting as well. That actually hurts the GOP more than the Democrats since Florida was a much larger GOP gerrymander than California was a Democratic one.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,611,058 times
That means it will not happen. Morris is never right about anything.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:32 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,478,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, it's not just a function of redistricting.

Since so many Blue Dogs were tossed out, it just stands to reason that voters in those districts will never again make the same mistake.

Without moderate democrats, there is NO CHANCE the democrats can get control of congress again.

That's why I snicker when we hear lefties saying good riddance to the Blue Dogs - I guess it hasn't struck them the Blue Dogs gave them their only chance at a majority.
then clearly you are not thinking of demographics. repubs get the majority of their support from older whites.

and this nation is becoming less so each year...

Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM

5,292 posts, read 6,243,020 times
Well in some senses the 2000 census redistricting haunted Rs in 2006 because in order to maximize seats they had actually stretched their margins thin in a lot of districts (think Ohio.)

But if Rs and Dems had brains in their heads they would avoid ticking of the country because in wave elections even safe seats fail. And 94 & 96 were R waves, 98 a Dem hold/countersurge in the house, 2000 presidential/senate flip, 2002 R pickup, 2004 R surge, 2006 & 2008 Dem Surges and 2010 R tsunami. That's an awful lot of waves/surges in less than two decades.

So as strong or weak as they draw them- those congressional districts will be in play in big elections. And if 2012 is Palin v Obama gawd help us all.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, it's not just a function of redistricting.

Since so many Blue Dogs were tossed out, it just stands to reason that voters in those districts will never again make the same mistake.

Without moderate democrats, there is NO CHANCE the democrats can get control of congress again.

That's why I snicker when we hear lefties saying good riddance to the Blue Dogs - I guess it hasn't struck them the Blue Dogs gave them their only chance at a majority.
Never is a long time.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,316,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That means it will not happen. Morris is never right about anything.

You don't know what you are talking about! Morris is a political demi-god. I hated the man when he worked for Clinton but I never underestimated him. He is ten times smarter than Carl Rove, the mane the media called "The Brain". Make no mistake. Morris knows exactly what he is talking about. This is not even a hard call. Some states lost representatives. They will make sure that it is Democrate seats that get cut. Some states gained representatives. They will draw up new discticts in Republican heavy areas.

I read Morris' book "Because He Could" which was a repudiation of Bill Clinton's "My Life". Man, if you ever wondered what when on behind closed doors in the Clinton White House that is the book to read. Highly recommend it.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 PM

22,223 posts, read 19,532,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

You don't know what you are talking about! Morris is a political demi-god. I hated the man when he worked for Clinton but I never underestimated him. He is ten times smarter than Carl Rove, the mane the media called "The Brain". Make no mistake. Morris knows exactly what he is talking about. This is not even a hard call. Some states lost representatives. They will make sure that it is Democrate seats that get cut. Some states gained representatives. They will draw up new discticts in Republican heavy areas.

I read Morris' book "Because He Could" which was a repudiation of Bill Clinton's "My Life". Man, if you ever wondered what when on behind closed doors in the Clinton White House that is the book to read. Highly recommend it.
Morris was also predicting 100 + seat change and a GOP takeover of the Senate, neither of which happened.

You also have to take into consideration population issues, and things of that nature.

For example look at Ohio. It was already a GOP Gerrymander from 2000, the new delegation is going to be 13-5 GOP. Two seats are going to be lost, its almost certain to be one of each if they can even do that. The current GOP gerrymander that is already in GOP + what they will be holding and population issues makes it virtually impossible to be both Dems

Old 11-04-2010, 02:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,249,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You do realize they will be picking up new house seats because of the massive flood of illegal aliens, which do count on the census, are in nearly all republican states.
You do realise that people counted on the census are not registered voters.. right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the republicans follow Reagan and McCain and call for blanket amnesty.
McCain lost because he was left wing...

Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,249,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Morris was also predicting 100 + seat change and a GOP takeover of the Senate, neither of which happened.
Actually he was predicting 80
Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Dick Morris Predicts Historic 80-Seat House Gain for GOP in 2010 Midterm Elections (http://weaselzippers.us/2010/08/27/dick-morris-predicts-historic-80-seat-house-gain-for-gop-in-2010-midterm-elections-%e2%80%93-video/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies