Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,911,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think the repeal of DADT was a very big deal for most gays, especially those who want to serve in the military.
Nooo .. The repeal of DADT only served to help gays be much more comfortable with their gaydom .. People who are secure in who or what they are usually never bother with things like DADT, simply because their sexual orientation is nobody's business but theirs ..

You never hear about straights bragging about how straight they are, because they are settled in with who and how they are .. it works the same with gays too .. unless of course, you discover that your one of those gays that might be so insecure about your sexuality, that you're found yelling about how gay you are to the rest of the world .. case in point? .. DADT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 06:15 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,638,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
so WHAT has the Republican Party done for gays?!!!! Everyone would really like to know. Name just one thing.
They have done just as much for us as the Dems have, NOTHING!!! Repealing DADT was simply a political move. As a previous poster stated, they could have done this 2 years ago, but instead they wait until the LAST minute to do anything. That alone shows me that the GLBT community wasnt as big of a priority as they would lead the sheep to believe. Only when the clock was ticking on their time being in control of Congress did they get it over with.
If the Dems gave a damn about us, they would have added in addition to repealing DADT the issue of civil unions & gay marriage. But they didn't, they did just enough to pander to the community that they made "progress" just to secure future votes.

Oh and for the record....I don't really consider myself a Republican, because I DO vote for both parties, but here lately I have been voting more Republican. I am just not one of my fellow gays that base their vote STRICTLY on issues like DADT or gay marriage. IMO there are far more IMPORTANT issues facing this country.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,866,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
They have done just as much for us as the Dems have, NOTHING!!! Repealing DADT was simply a political move. As a previous poster stated, they could have done this 2 years ago, but instead they wait until the LAST minute to do anything. That alone shows me that the GLBT community wasnt as big of a priority as they would lead the sheep to believe. Only when the clock was ticking on their time being in control of Congress did they get it over with.
If the Dems gave a damn about us, they would have added in addition to repealing DADT the issue of civil unions & gay marriage. But they didn't, they did just enough to pander to the community that they made "progress" just to secure future votes.
Exactly, at least some educated people see the truth.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,026,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Again, not to belabor the question, but what has the Republican party done for gay folk? I would agree that I wish that the Dems had done more, but they inherited a poor economy and 8 years of slipping backwards. Things in DC never move as quickly as we would like, do they? but has the Repub party done ANYTHING at all to show an inkling of support for gays? Not even the RINO senators have done anything. When the voters of maine were voting on gay civil marriage, did even one of them speak in support of the gays?

Sadly, I don't think that same sex civil marriage has as much support nationwide (and even worse in the backwards regions of the country). if the Dems were to carry the same sex marriage in the Congress, it would probably fail with total rejection from Repubs and even some rejection from the more conservative/moderate Dems. This would set the movement 2 steps back and ultimately not worth the political price or effort when so many other things need to be done.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,026,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Exactly, at least some educated people see the truth.
Are you two trying to get a date with each other?

Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,711,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Nooo .. The repeal of DADT only served to help gays be much more comfortable with their gaydom .. People who are secure in who or what they are usually never bother with things like DADT ..
Says you.

The gays who were kicked out of the military through no fault of their own would disagree with you, I'm sure.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Are you two trying to get a date with each other?
Are you insinuating that would be a bad thing?

Old 12-25-2010, 06:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,711,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Are you insinuating that would be a bad thing?
What made you think he was insinuating that it would be a bad thing?

Old 12-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What made you think he was insinuating that it would be a bad thing?
I asked a question, thanks for answering it even though I didn't ask you.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:35 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,638,710 times
Quote:
Again, not to belabor the question, but what has the Republican party done for gay folk? I would agree that I wish that the Dems had done more, but they inherited a poor economy and 8 years of slipping backwards. Things in DC never move as quickly as we would like, do they? but has the Repub party done ANYTHING at all to show an inkling of support for gays? Not even the RINO senators have done anything. When the voters of maine were voting on gay civil marriage, did even one of them speak in support of the gays?
Nothing that I can think of, but just remember who was in office when DADT was passed and signed.
One big difference about the Republicans and Democrats........Reps will tell you upfront what they support or dont support when it comes to gay issues......the Dems will promise the moon and then either turn their backs or procrastinate until it is almost or too late, and then blame the Reps in order to secure that November vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies