Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatedick View Post
why are rich people so addicted to material possessions?

Most of us are addicted to material possessions. Why?

1. We believe the advertising

2. We have a "void" that cannot be filled and seek to fill that "need" with material possessions. It is an attempt to feel better.

3. It is human nature to want "just a little more". I really think that it is a genetic behavioral trait of our species derived from the accumulation of food and necessary componants for survival in times of plenty to prepare for "lean times".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would take it a step further, and say that the truly rich find the type of conspicuous consumption (mostly above their means) by the middle and lower classes as vulgar, if anything.
Exactly.

It is usually those who have the least who spend most of their time (and money) trying to spend their way into "belonging".

"Old money" spends very frugally. In everything, they buy the best quality, timeless pieces, classic and elegant. They don't constantly buy "trends" in fashion. You will rarely if ever see them purchasing a Ferrari or Maserati, etc, etc.

Their kids do not have a closet full of the latest high-end sneakers. They are not dressed head to toe in Gucci or Vuitton. They don't own a fleet of high end cars....all of the above is considered a great waste....not to mention tacky.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Most of the wealthiest people I know especially those that worked very hard for it live rather modestly. It's one of the reason they are rich to begin with.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Haven't you heard of "the millionaire next door?" Most millionaires drive Fords or Chevy's, display few obvious signs of wealth, lead quiet lives, and are often too busy running their businesses to worry about showing off. Many of the big flashy spenders are not as wealthy as they want you to think.
I agree! That is how it has been with wealthy people that I have met along the way.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM

95 posts, read 141,213 times
If they were truly "rich" you probably wouldn't know it.

I was told by the Billionaire I worked for at one point- "If you can count it, you don't have it"

He did have a pretty nice G5 jet though.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I never stated you said those who can afford things that others can't were doing so to impress others.

In point of fact prior to your quoting of my post (to which my response was directed) I thought we were actually in agreement on this issue.
Look at the first sentence of your last post that I commented upon.
Here you go, I quoted it again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
No one needs to have a ton of things. It's presumptive to assume that those that choose to have and can afford luxury items are doing so purely to impress others.

I've also lived is different countries and am glad to have had the experience. That said I can't agree with your assessment that Americans are the most ostentatious of all cultures. It's been 10yrs since my last trip to Europe but at that time there were certainly plenty of wealthy people flaunting their good fortune.

Perhaps things have changed and if so I'll defer to your more recent experiences but from my experiences I'm not willing to label Americans as the most ostentatious culture.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-07-2010 at 01:27 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Exactly.

It is usually those who have the least who spend most of their time (and money) trying to spend their way into "belonging".

"Old money" spends very frugally. In everything, they buy the best quality, timeless pieces, classic and elegant. They don't constantly buy "trends" in fashion. You will rarely if ever see them purchasing a Ferrari or Maserati, etc, etc.

Their kids do not have a closet full of the latest high-end sneakers. They are not dressed head to toe in Gucci or Vuitton. They don't own a fleet of high end cars....all of the above is considered a great waste....not to mention tacky.
Strange generalization.
Paris Hilton anyone?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:34 AM

465 posts, read 463,873 times
Quote:
In this capitalist system. Many of the people who get rich are very materialist in the first place.

They are very materialistic people. So they pour their soul into trying to gain money and get rich to live their dream.

Non-materialistic people tend to just relax and stay out of that rat race more.

The people who are born into wealth tend to get indoctrinated into a materialistc mindset from an early age.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
You need to get out more and away from the "rich people".

Go down in da 'hood and check out the bling, fashions and what they're driving (or stealing)

Old 11-07-2010, 04:05 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
In this capitalist system. Many of the people who get rich are very materialist in the first place.

They are very materialistic people. So they pour their soul into trying to gain money and get rich to live their dream.

Non-materialistic people tend to just relax and stay out of that rat race more.

The people who are born into wealth tend to get indoctrinated into a materialistc mindset from an early age.
Amateur psychology at it's finest.
The rich are more likely to have gotten that way as a by-product of the urge to achieve, create, accomplish,win...be the best at something.
It's the game that counts the most , not the trophy.
(My own amateur psychology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies