Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i didn't say that. prove me wrong. dispute my argument

nobody deserves to be subject to racism. what an ignorant thing to say

nobody is asking you to fit into any stereotypes. i don't fit into any stereotypes. we're asking you to grow up

you know good and damn well that's not what i'm saying, so don't even try it. i just want all races to be represented fairly and evenly on television. there isn't a thing wrong with that, and it's starting to become clear just why you and the others think there is something wrong with it

tell me, just who would it hurt to have television evenly show all races?

are you really that pig-headed that you can't even entertain the idea that because you're part black and were raised in a mostly white area that you don't truly understand where most blacks are coming from?

The fact that you fail to agree to disagree like an adult without the childish rants with each post is proof enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Arguing with idiots is a waste of time. People are not all equal, in intelligence anyway! In case it is not clear: I am talking about the white racists on this thread who are bashing the black people who are raising valid points.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Arguing with idiots is a waste of time. People are not all equal, in intelligence anyway! In case it is not clear: I am talking about the white racists on this thread who are bashing the black people who are raising valid points.
Which valid point are you referring to? I have seen none thus far. And I don't appreciate you trying to call me a racist just for disagreeing with the OP. Every point I've made has been valid and has yet to be refuted, which is why this whole thing is a waste of my brain power. It's like speaking to a brick wall.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
YOU ARE A MINORITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means there are fewer of your color than there are of whites. Why would they have half blacks in a show on NBC when the population is not comprised half of black people???

What are you not understanding? If you want to not see white people, then stick with BET and be done with it! I don't know why you think blacks have contributed just as much or more than white people. Pick up a history book sometime. No you have no reason to lie to me but you have been brainwashed by the liberal media and probably your black family and friends that you're a horrible person b/c you're black and that all white people will discriminate against you given the chance. You're not a horrible person period and definitely not because you're black. I, for one, will not discriminate against you b/c of your race, and most whites agree with this and practice what they preach! I will, however, not want to be around you if you act like a ghetto fool, same goes for Spanish ghetto fools and white ghetto fools, emos, goths, hicks, etc. Most white people also practice this. It's.not.about.race.it's.about.behavior.

If you haven't noticed, they speak only in Spanish on Univision and the like. That's what them speaking another language has to do with it. I agree it's stupid, I said that already.

"why do they need their own shows?"
Why do blacks need their own shows??????????????

And we've come full circle.

Now, goodnight.
You just killed your argument right there. Rhetorical suicide, one shot, execution-style.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I guess we should fire all the white actors and make blacks the only race on TV so "little black kids" can "feel good" about themselves! That makes so much sense.

I really think some of these posters should just move to Ghana. They obviously can't stand being a minority in a majority-white country.

"It not good to stay inna witemon country too long."

- Mutabaruka

Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
There is a school of thought that says that when a "people" are severely traumatized for long enough, it affects not only them in the moment, but their future generations. The trauma is passed down - it is an emotional/spiritual wound that is so deep one cannot "just get over it." When I mentioned damaged self-esteem, it was this phenomenon that I was referring to. It is well known in the fields of psychology, sociology and anthropology.

It is a shame that this type of thing is not taught in public schools.
I have a degree in psychology and that is not a normal school of thought in that field. Your point is also not valid b/c how many generations have there been since slavery? You are another one who is part of the problem if you believe that just b/c you're born into something means you'll never get out of it. People have incredibly powerful ways of coping so don't sit there and tell me that your great great great great great great grandfather who was a slave is now screwing you in life. I refuse to believe that and it's sad that you do, and it's even more sad that you believe that kind of crap should be brainwashed into our kids. Yet another reason our kids will not be going to public school.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
...what i'm trying to figure out is what's so wrong about having ways to celebrate and express our own distinct culture? it doesn't mean that we're trying to separate ourselves from the rest of society

I assume you are talking about BET. There is nothing wrong with BET focusing entirely on black entertainment. It's no different than a German, Italian, Russian or oriental TV station. It's a free country. If you want to have a TV station with only programs about a small segment of society, go for it. If the viewers like it, the advertisers will support it.

You could even have a gay TV station, or a fat people TV station, or an old person TV station.

Go for it.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
There is a school of thought that says that when a "people" are severely traumatized for long enough, it affects not only them in the moment, but their future generations. The trauma is passed down - it is an emotional/spiritual wound that is so deep one cannot "just get over it." When I mentioned damaged self-esteem, it was this phenomenon that I was referring to. It is well known in the fields of psychology, sociology and anthropology.

It is a shame that this type of thing is not taught in public schools.

That's quite silly. I suspect that everyone on earth could point to some point in their ancestry and claim they are traumatized by some mistreatment. Maybe my great great great grandmother was raped. Or maybe my great great great grandfather had his land stolen by carpetbaggers. etc, etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
i didn't say that. prove me wrong. dispute my argument

nobody deserves to be subject to racism. what an ignorant thing to say

nobody is asking you to fit into any stereotypes. i don't fit into any stereotypes. we're asking you to grow up

you know good and damn well that's not what i'm saying, so don't even try it. i just want all races to be represented fairly and evenly on television. there isn't a thing wrong with that, and it's starting to become clear just why you and the others think there is something wrong with it

tell me, just who would it hurt to have television evenly show all races?

are you really that pig-headed that you can't even entertain the idea that because you're part black and were raised in a mostly white area that you don't truly understand where most blacks are coming from?
Kazoo and I and many others have been disputing your argument and you come back with the same thing, time after time, and you're not telling us anything new.

People reap what they sow. To think the "gangsta" types can just walk around and demand respect is ludicrous. If you act like that, why shouldn't you be stereotyped when you are playing right into it??

Nobody is asking kazoo to grow up. We are asking YOU to grow up, Al. You have not brought anything new to the table here, it's the same black man crying racism on white folks. You do fit into that stereotype!

You are now backpedaling. You stated to me last night that you don't believe blacks being represented on TV of a ratio to about 1:9 is acceptable even though that's the true proportion of blacks in America. You do get your fair share of representation on TV, in Congress, jobs, educational facilities, etc. Why can't you be okay with that? Like kazoo and I have both said, you are part of a minority and you need to accept that now before you drive yourself insane.

And again, stop alluding to the fact that you believe I'm racist against blacks. It's ridiculous. I believe in fairness to all people and you're trying to play unfairly.

And just for the record, kazoo stated he is half black but looks like a black person and is essentially treated as such. So don't try to say he has no clue where you're coming from. I'm not trying to speak for anyone, but just remind you of what was said previously.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:47 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The fact that you fail to agree to disagree like an adult without the childish rants with each post is proof enough.
what?? how was i being childish. all i was doing was disputing what you said about BET. is it that you don't have an argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Which valid point are you referring to? I have seen none thus far. And I don't appreciate you trying to call me a racist just for disagreeing with the OP. Every point I've made has been valid and has yet to be refuted, which is why this whole thing is a waste of my brain power. It's like speaking to a brick wall.
you took the words right out of my mouth..

it's not that valid points haven't been made, it's that you choose not to agree with them. i could've been the most skilled debater in the world, and you still would choose not to see things my way. everything i've said to you has come directly from how i genuinely feel, and all you did is shoot down my opinions as ignorant. throughout this entire discussion, you refused to even attempt to see things through a black man's point of view. you think you know everything, so i agree...it is like talking to a brick wall..

kazoopilot atleast has an excuse. he's still very young and has a lot to learn about life and the realities his own people face. hell, there are white people that understand blacks more than he does

Last edited by AlGreen; 11-09-2010 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies