Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I have a degree in psychology and that is not a normal school of thought in that field. Your point is also not valid b/c how many generations have there been since slavery? You are another one who is part of the problem if you believe that just b/c you're born into something means you'll never get out of it. People have incredibly powerful ways of coping so don't sit there and tell me that your great great great great great great grandfather who was a slave is now screwing you in life. I refuse to believe that and it's sad that you do, and it's even more sad that you believe that kind of crap should be brainwashed into our kids. Yet another reason our kids will not be going to public school.
I have an advanced degree in psychology and find your use of the word "normal" quite amusing. I honestly do not care what you believe or don't believe . . . whether you believe anything or not is incidental to the truth of it . . . yes, there are schools of thought, as I noted that propose that trauma is passed down generationally.

You may be too enthocentric to comprehend this, but in Africa, for instance, ancestor influence is very real. Anthropology is a fascinating subject for those who are opened minded enough to realize there is not just one way of being in this big world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 01:56 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
I DO realize that you're not all lazy ghetto black people. How many times do I have to say this? I'm not going to address it again. I have respect for anyone worthy of it, black, white or freaking neon purple. I work in an area with mostly middle class blacks, like I said before, and have no problem in doing so.

Again, you're not insulting me by calling me "little girl" or "missy" or telling me to grow up. You're just making yourself look like an insulting sleezebag.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have an advanced degree in psychology and find your use of the word "normal" quite amusing. I honestly do not care what you believe or don't believe . . . whether you believe anything or not is incidental to the truth of it . . . yes, there are schools of thought, as I noted that propose that trauma is passed down generationally.

You may be too enthocentric to comprehend this, but in Africa, for instance, ancestor influence is very real. Anthropology is a fascinating subject for those who are opened minded enough to realize there is not just one way of being in this big world.
We're not in Africa so I really don't care. The crap the slaves went through 150 years ago has no bearing on blacks in America today. End of story.

And yes, I use the word "normal" loosely, so laypeople can understand. There are lots of schools of thought that are not considered mainstream anymore b/c they've been debunked. Freud's theories are a good example of this. Your little theory of intergenerational trauma would probably also fit into this category, enough for psychology teachers to not even teach it anymore or have textbooks mention it.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
actually, it was safe to assume that you were either a know-it-all kid or a bitter, ignorant older woman. could've went either way, honestly
I'm neither, actually. I'm not a kid, I'm an adult who takes responsibility for myself. I'm not a know-it-all, but my high IQ does allow me to learn quickly so yeah, I pretty much know what I'm talking about 99% of the time. I'm not ignorant in any way, I have a good education and a ton of common sense.

But it's not about me, never was, and it's not about you and your issues,either. Just get back to the original conversation of why it's so not racist for blacks to have media catering to just them.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
We're not in Africa so I really don't care. The crap the slaves went through 150 years ago has no bearing on blacks in America today. End of story.

And yes, I use the word "normal" loosely, so laypeople can understand. There are lots of schools of thought that are not considered mainstream anymore b/c they've been debunked. Freud's theories are a good example of this. Your little theory of intergenerational trauma would probably also fit into this category, enough for psychology teachers to not even teach it anymore or have textbooks mention it.
It's not my "little theory of intergenerational trauma." Anthropology and spiritual psychology is where you will find such theories in the rare case where you might be interested in expanding your understanding of the world and the peoples in it.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 PM

113 posts, read 108,850 times
Quote:
i
slavery was not 200 years ago. it was 145 years ago, and blacks have been slaves in this country far longer than we've been free, so save it. and i don't think the world owes me anything. but i'll be damned if someone tries to tell me that all blacks have all the advantages in the world that whites do, and that everything is equal now
No blacks dont have all the advantages, they are equal to everyone else

Quote:
so easy for you to tell someone to get over something when you haven't the slightest clue what it's like to come from what we do....must be nice...
Oh, really? are you losing sleep all night b/c your great great great great grandfather was a slave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
To the OP: You knew you were going to get attacked by a mob of angry racists when you started this thread, didn't you?
Why am I racist? B/c I dont agree with you? I suppose if I dont approve of the job obamas doing that makes me a racist as well? huh . . . typical

Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
As for the whole "Carlton" thing, it doesn't bother me. I like Carlton. He carried himself with class and dignity.
i just now realized you said this. lmao @ carlton carrying himself with "dignity"....PLEASE. early in the series, the boy was practically ashamed of being black and desperately wanted to be white. remember that episode where he dressed up like macaulay culkin? yeah....

Old 11-09-2010, 06:04 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo2929 View Post
No blacks dont have all the advantages, they are equal to everyone else
yeah, you hear about whites being racially profiled and discriminated against in the work place all the time :rolleyes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo2929 View Post

Oh, really? are you losing sleep all night b/c your great great great great grandfather was a slave?
HA!! nice try at attempting to make slavery seem like it was eons ago. my great great grandfather was a slave, and my GRANDMOTHER grew up in an impoverished sharecropper family, which was practically slavery without the ownership papers and whips

Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Default Stop talking about bet!

BET is owned by Viacom and the last I checked Viacom isn't black owned.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
yeah, you hear about whites being racially profiled and discriminated against in the work place all the time :rolleyes"

HA!! nice try at attempting to make slavery seem like it was eons ago. my great great grandfather was a slave, and my GRANDMOTHER grew up in an impoverished sharecropper family, which was practically slavery without the ownership papers and whips

I vividly remember segregated accommodations in the North and South, and I vividly remember not being allowed to go certain places on certain days - or not at all. And I am younger than President Obama.

Slavery and its older child, Jim Crow, is not all that far back in our history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies