Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your views on blacks having their own media?
There's nothing wrong with it 58 33.53%
It's racist 109 63.01%
I don't know 6 3.47%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, I've never been given a reason that came close to holding water. Why don't you try?
people aren't always great at expressing their feelings. i'm one of them....but did you really listen? did you really try to see where the person was coming from? did you take into account that because you aren't a minority that you don't really understand?

....i know one thing, though: if there ever is a White Entertainment Television, they better have some damn black people on there, because i see white people on BET all the time .....oh, but wait....W.E.T. + black people = NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, TBS, CW, TNT, HBO, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
people aren't always great at expressing their feelings. i'm one of them....but did you really listen? did you really try to see where the person was coming from? did you take into account that because you aren't a minority that you don't really understand?

....i know one thing, though: if there ever is a White Entertainment Television, they better have some damn black people on there, because i see white people on BET all the time .....oh, but wait....W.E.T. + black people = NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, TBS, CW, TNT, HBO, etc.
Well, to be honest with you, I knew you wouldn't have anything for me. There is no answer, of course. You wanted to know why a significant number of white folks have problems with specifically black enterprises and clubs, now you know. In short, there are two mindsets within many white folks. One is "abandon the concept of race" which began to be instilled in white folks during the Civil Rights Revolution decades ago. The other is simple teachings of fairness and even-handedness which begin in childhood. The existence of black clubs and organizations creates a philosophical conflict between the two, since white folks are forbidden to entertain the concept of race. And to most whites, the most rational reaction is to speak out against what to them is racist.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, to be honest with you, I knew you wouldn't have anything for me. There is no answer, of course. You wanted to know why a significant number of white folks have problems with specifically black enterprises and clubs, now you know. In short, there are two mindsets within many white folks. One is "abandon the concept of race" which began to be instilled in white folks during the Civil Rights Revolution decades ago. The other is simple teachings of fairness and even-handedness which begin in childhood. The existence of black clubs and organizations creates a philosophical conflict between the two, since white folks are forbidden to entertain the concept of race. And to most whites, the most rational reaction is to speak out against what to them is racist.
this might mean something if i didn't know plenty of whites who would wholeheartedly disagree with you. those of them who are not racist, and see no problem whatsoever with black media and DON'T feel that whites should be able to have the same thing. they know better than that

it's not that i don't have anything for you, it's that i have no explanation that you'd accept. many black folks everywhere are quickly learning to deal with that and just move on

so i'm guessing your answer is "no", you never tried to really listen to what was being said to you. because you simply didn't care

Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
There have been many who have said, “To be white in America means not having to think about it.” Part of why it is difficult for whites to get their arms around the concept of white privilege is because it can seem to be invisible. It is set up that way. And for many whites, once exposed to the concept of white privilege, it is easier to see it on the individual level than to see how it manifests on an institutional and structural level. As our knowledge and awareness increases, there is less probability of returning to the status quo or the “privilege bubble” in which we typically operate. Once we finally “know,” then we are forced to face white privilege and we have to work to “not know.” Our journey is about steadily increasing our awareness and taking action.
http://www.mpassociates.us/pdf/DTW.pdf

Old 11-20-2010, 05:32 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
There's a good reason why a lot of people of all races don't get involved in situations like the ones you posted. You live in Houston, you should know what I'm talking about already.

Good Samaritan Killed In Purse Snatching - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/25755834/detail.html - broken link)

How's that for white privilege? Shot dead by a black punk because he tried to help an old lady during a robbery, I'm sure the dead man's family feels really privileged right now.
Actually don't live in Houston and never have. I don't know what you're talking about and neither do you. Being killed in the commission of a crime has nothing to do with privilege of any kind. Before you jump out and make statements like that, get an idea of what the subject is that's being discussed in the thread.

I feel badly for the Good Samaritan. I've been there myself. I got involved trying to break up a purse snatching. I wasn't shot put I did get a .45 shoved up my nose. Not fun.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:19 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The fact is that most modern, mainstream rap is absolute garbage. Absolute garbage, trash, refuse, dreck and waste. There is nothing redeeming about "Ludacris'" (Christopher Bridges) or "50 Cent's" (Curtis Jackson) music. Nothing. It's just a modern day minstrel show. Also, don't get me started on people like "Jay-Z" or "Lil' Wayne." Makes me sick.
honestly, i dont see much redeeming about literally screaming into a microphone, thats not music, its noise. but hey thats me, your music sounds like garbage to me, but thats just a personal preference i suppose.

that being said, most rap is pure idiocy. then again, most mainstream popular music (which includes rap as it has become the mainstream at this point) is pure idiocy. i dont see ludacris' values and ideas as any more idiotic than katy perry's or kesha's. its all materialistic bullsh*t aimed at impressionable teens. one raps about having sex with whores, the other sings about being one. i dont think either one is worse, and im not sure why you direct your hatred specifically on rap and describe it as "black culture". these values have nothing to do with "black culture", and have everything to do with mainstream pop culture marketing what appeals to youngs folks (sex, money, and drugs)

whats redeeming about blink 182? really, they are no different than ludacris. its all about sex and drugs, and it always has been (listen to some of jimi's lyrics again why dont you, as a christian im surprised you approve). its funny that you brought hendrix in, as he was really one of the lidracris' of his day. all the uptight folks back then didnt like how he dressed and didnt approve of his values. and his music, along with the doors and other psycadelic rock groups, were considered absolute garbage, trash, refuse, dreck and waste by the traditionalists at the time.

it seems your opposition to this is more than just your disapproval of ludacris' values and how he dresses (because i dont personally care for either either and am not nearly as upset about all this as you are). this reaction clearly ties into your deep rooted psychological displeasure with being dark-skinned and not identifying with other blacks due to your white cultural upbringing, and the feeling of not belonging associated with it.

as far as the original topic, "black media" seems more about ethnicity than race. BET's nothing but the same old crap you see on other channels anyway (music videos and bad sitcoms), it just has more black people in it.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 11-20-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I didn't say rap was black culture -- Al Green did. I just said "if rap is black culture, I want nothing to do with it."

Old 11-21-2010, 01:15 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
It is a completely separate issue on what black media chooses to cover (and mainstream media). Neither source is especially inclusive of things that are a bit different. Whether that means black skateboarders, jazz artists or actors in community theater.

I am 100% behind community focused media. And I hope for inclusive community media. But I'll likely need to keep dreaming on the inclusive part.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:14 AM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I didn't say rap was black culture -- Al Green did. I just said "if rap is black culture, I want nothing to do with it."
why would you even pose that question? of course its not. the american black ethnic group existed for quite some time before rap.

like i said, nearly all mainstream music shares the same garbage values. many of the artists are white. this isnt about that.

you want nothing to do with black culture altogether. youve made that quite clear. you werent raised in it, and you dont want to have any connection with it. youve got issues with the idea of an american black ethnic identity, due to you being of partial african decent and wanting to exclusively identify with the white upper midwestern ethnic group and dislike the pressure that you may feel society puts on you to identify culturally with other american blacks. you dont have to be a psychologist to figure this out, its pretty obvious.

but dont put on like you just hate rap, we know that its more than that, because everything on MTV puts up all these same crap values.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 AM

^^^^ thank you! he insisted on trying to make it seem like this was about "values", but he wasn't fooling me. it's plain that he simply does not identify with most blacks, so he criticizes us for not wanting to sacrifice being ourselves just to "assimilate" into the mainstream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies