Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times

Advertisements

Give me a break.

Citing school nutrition regulations, Palin claims PA is a "nanny state run amok."

Fighting the good fight as always-- With the growing obesity epidemic-- and the known links between good nutrition and positive behavior and achievement in school-- it seems like Palin is just stirring up controversy to keep her name in the news. She does it well, and the mass media is complicit in the idiocy.

Just to respond to some of the ridiculous responses this will get-- No, I am not afraid of her. No, limiting in sweets in school, does not prevent parents being able to parent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Give me a break.

Citing school nutrition regulations, Palin claims PA is a "nanny state run amok."

Fighting the good fight as always-- With the growing obesity epidemic-- and the known links between good nutrition and positive behavior and achievement in school-- it seems like Palin is just stirring up controversy to keep her name in the news. She does it well, and the mass media is complicit in the idiocy.

Just to respond to some of the ridiculous responses this will get-- No, I am not afraid of her. No, limiting in sweets in school, does not prevent parents being able to parent...

i think you are affraid of her leadership skills and her good looks. what you need to do is lighten up a little bit, and realize that she is fighting the good fight for our American parents and children.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:34 AM

320 posts, read 290,379 times
What is the big deal about health warnings on food?

Should we remove health warnings on cigarettes and alcohol? It's not like anyone's forcing you to lose weight and look presentable. If you choose to be disgustingly fat and hideous you still have that right. But at least they warned you.

God I wish some people would have respect for themselves and their bodies. We used to have some of the most beautiful people in the world. But America is getting so fat and disgusting. So obese and ornery that they snap about health warnings on junk food.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Give me a break.

Got a link to her comments?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,454 times
Maybe if all the sue happy liberals were gone the schools could let the kids play again and burn off calories. The gubment needs to stay out of the parenting business.

Palin was key in the Republicans kicking so many Democrats to the curb so she is back in their crosshairs.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Give me a break.

I think this is it. Palin has found that being notorious will earn her a lot of money through speaking engagements etc. She is a political mercenary trading notoriety for dollars.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Give me a break.

Well, I happen to agree with Palin on this issue. You obvioulsy haven't been following this, or paying any attention. You haven't got a clue about what you are talking about.

Get the damn government out of the school lunch business!!!!

The kids can't even have french fries??? No chocolate milk? And that's only part of it.

Give me a break!!! This is Moooo-shell's little scheme. These people can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned!!

Palin is right on!! Go Sarah!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Give me a break.

Is there an area of life you are not willing to turn over to gov to tell you how to live your life?

Here is an idea. Allow parents to decide what their child eats and bring back gym class. Take children outside to play. Maybe they wont be so over weight and will be able to make the choice to eat a candy bar

Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Sarah don't know nuthin' 'bout no nutrition.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Give me a break.

I think she has a point of some of it

an example,,the schools only offer skim milk for the milk...yet while skim milk has less fat, it has more sugars..and whole milk is better for the children

I eat full-fat dairy because it's better for my health and my weight.

Here's why:

1. Our bodies cannot digest the protein or absorb the calcium from milk without the fat.

2. Vitamins A and D are also fat-soluble. So you can't absorb them from milk when all the fat has been skimmed off. (This makes fortified skim milk the biggest sham of all -- you can pump fat-free milk full of a year's supply of vitamins A and D, but the body can't access them).

3. Milk fat contains glycosphingolipids, types of fats linked to immune system health and cell metabolism.

4. Contrary to popular belief, low-fat and fat-free diets do not help prevent heart disease, and science has now revealed that the link between saturated fat (long villainized as a cause of heart disease) and heart disease is tenuous at best.

5. In fact, studies now show that eating saturated fat raises good cholesterol -- the kind of cholesterol you want and need in your body.

6. The world's healthiest foods are whole foods -- foods that have not been processed. Why? The nutrients in whole foods have a natural synergy with one another -- that is, they work best in and are most beneficial to the body when they are taken together (not when they are isolated in, say, beta-carotene supplements of Vitamin C capsules). So when you pull some or all of the fat out of milk, you throw its nutritional profile out of whack. Basically, you discard all of the health benefits when you discard the fat.

7. And last but definitely not least: healthy dietary fat will NOT make you fat. We've been taught for years that dietary fat is the root of all evil (again, see my last post). But we need healthy fat in our diet for proper body composition and long-term weight maintenance. The key factor here is knowing the difference between good fats and bad fats (for more on good and bad fats and the role healthy fat plays in weight maintenance, see Weight Loss Rules to Rethink).

yet the schools force our kids to drink skim or if you are lucky 1% milk

maybe they shouldnt be cutting down (minimizing) gym (pe) classes

Last edited by workingclasshero; 11-10-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies