Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this protected speech?
Disgusting speech nonetheless protected by the 1st Amendment 13 72.22%
Speech so disgusting it's constitutional to criminalize it 5 27.78%
This speech isn't disgusting - I might enjoy reading it 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Allegedly, his book was written from firsthand experience. While he unfortunately is protected by the 1st Amendment, he should face criminal charges for child molestation, not just obscenity. Hopefully, they’ll put him in the general prison population. I bet they’ll teach him a few lessons. Disgusting pig.
Alleged by whom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Pretty scary that people want to throw people in jail for speech.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
I'm all for free speech but at some point common sense has to come into play. Hope this prosecutor can make the charges stick and this guy does some time. Ideally, the guards will make sure all of his cellmates know EXACTLY what he's locked up for and they take justice into their own hands. I've heard child predators don't fare so well in lock up. Hopefully, that is the case this time as well.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Alleged by whom?
By him, according to the report I heard on CNN.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
By him, according to the report I heard on CNN.

Care to share that story? (link)

Old 12-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Care to share that story? (link)
I watched the report today. Perhaps you can check their transcripts.

From the transcripts. . .

You cannot take real life examples of how to sexually batter a nine-year-old and a 13- year-old child and educate, sell, or promote that according to Florida law.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...21/cnr.02.html

Last edited by Benicar; 12-21-2010 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: To add info.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Allegedly, his book was written from firsthand experience. While he unfortunately is protected by the 1st Amendment, he should face criminal charges for child molestation, not just obscenity. Hopefully, they’ll put him in the general prison population. I bet they’ll teach him a few lessons. Disgusting pig.
Quote:
I watched the report today. Perhaps you can check their transcripts.
So I went and found the CNN story myself. Your representation of what he said is totally wrong.

Quote:
"Greaves told reporters Tuesday he wrote the book to exorcise his own childhood. He said he was introduced to sex at age 7 by a 10-year-old friend and began having sex with other children. It continued, he said, until he was about 15 when he stopped and did not have sex again for years."
Quote:
"Greaves...said 'The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: A Child-Lover's Code of Conduct' can be used as a guide to rehabilitating pedophiles, and -- instead of teaching them how to avoid arrest -- teaches them to avoid illegal actions.

Asked if he is a pedophile, Greaves said, 'I only have sex with grown-ups.' He said he has no children and 'I don't keep children around my house.'"
He didn't admit to molesting children.

Author of pedophile book says Florida arrest is entrapment - CNN.com

Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Why does the Left constantly excuse and defend blantantly disgusting and illegal behavior? WHY? Thread after thread, post after post, the Left can NOT bring themselves to call disgusting people disgusting. They just simply provide cover and an alternate excuse. It totally blows my mind.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
So I went and found the CNN story myself. Your representation of what he said is totally wrong.

He didn't admit to molesting children.

Author of pedophile book says Florida arrest is entrapment - CNN.com
That is not what they reported on TV. Did you not read my post above and the transcript? My interpretation of “real life examples” must differ from yours. In any case, I do not condone pedophilia. Do you?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Why does the Left constantly excuse and defend blantantly disgusting and illegal behavior? WHY? Thread after thread, post after post, the Left can NOT bring themselves to call disgusting people disgusting. They just simply provide cover and an alternate excuse. It totally blows my mind.
Child molestation is repugnant and disgusting. If you rape a child you should spend the rest of you life in jail.

However, he's entitled to write about it all he wants. That's speech. That's his right. I have a deep respect and love for our Constitution. As disgusting as I might find this man's writings, I'm not willing to pee all over the Constitution to throw this man in jail for writing about sex with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies