Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You obviously have no idea how much a serious illness can cost. It can overwhelm your savings, the value of your house, your IRAs, your 401Ks, all your belongings. What a snide thing to say!
We're talking about the poor here..more than likely they don't have IRA's, 401K's, homes with mortgages.

Just what is your definition of poor ..$75-80K ?

If you consider yourself a poor person and you have both an IRA and a 401K..then you are certainly NOT poor.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Universities are not funded by the government. Education To those universities might be, but most university research is done by private enterprises who pay for the research to be done..

And those medicaid plans to buy vaccines again wouldnt be of value if there was no private enterprises doing the research. Even the federal government contracts with private enterprises to do research..

this is what happens when you get government involved.. Swine Flu Vaccine--Too Little, Too Late: Scientific American

Sorry, but you can keep the incompetence..
Who do you think funds the public colleges and universities? Much university research is funded by the federal govt. Sorry if you don't believe that. It's true. The DOE paid for the grant that paid for my husband to do his PhD research, plus for other research at that institution, the University of Illinois, which is funded by the government of Illinois.

Much vaccine research is done in universities. The polio vaccine was developed at the University of Pittsburgh, not at some private drug company lab. The rotavirus vaccine was developed at the U of Pennsylvania. Just a couple of examples.

Your sciam article was an editorial about the sky is falling. I don't understand the point they were trying to make, except that the American public is so litiginous that the vaccine makers are afraid to try new metods of vaccine production, including some used in Europe. The sky did not fall last year, BTW.

http://museum.pharmacy.pitt.edu/salk/
This is cute, and has the facts.

http://www.upmc.com/MediaRelations/factsheets/Pages/SalkPolioTimeline2005.aspx (broken link)
Timeline. Note work was also done at a state supported university, the University of Michigan.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-14-2010 at 07:32 PM..

Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're talking about the poor here..more than likely they don't have IRA's, 401K's, homes with mortgages.

Just what is your definition of poor ..$75-80K ?

If you consider yourself a poor person and you have both an IRA and a 401K..then you are certainly NOT poor.
I'm just saying, you don't have to be poor to have a medical bankruptcy. BTW, my daughter, just starting out, has a 401K. Lots of people have mortgages, people with incomes much lower than $75-80K.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,232,612 times
Quote:
I'm just saying, you don't have to be poor to have a medical bankruptcy. BTW, my daughter, just starting out, has a 401K. Lots of people have mortgages, people with incomes much lower than $75-80K.
People do not file "medical" bankruptcies.. they file bankruptcies for medical reasons but not due to the bills. Its mortgages, car loans, credit card bills etc which cause bankruptcies. I know.. you wont believe me so I challenge you.

Find me ONE person who has filed bankruptcy to avoid medical bills because the hospital was going after their home etc, and the only way to protect their assets is to file bk.. JUST ONE..

Fact is medical bankruptcies will continue to happen, even if by some miracle universal healthcare comes to market.. People have bills they need to pay and its those bills which create bk.. not the illness itself..
Quote:
Who do you think funds the public colleges and universities? Much university research is funded by the federal govt. Sorry if you don't believe that. It's true. The DOE paid for the grant that paid for my husband to do his PhD research, plus for other research at that institution, the University of Illinois, which is funded by the government of Illinois.

Much vaccine research is done in universities. The polio vaccine was developed at the University of Pittsburgh, not at some private drug company lab. The rotavirus vaccine was developed at the U of Pennsylvania. Just a couple of examples.

Your sciam article was an editorial about the sky is falling. I don't understand the point they were trying to make, except that the American public is so litiginous that the vaccine makers are afraid to try new metods of vaccine production, including some used in Europe. The sky did not fall last year, BTW.

Salk Vaccine
This is cute, and has the facts.

Timeline Development of the Salk Polio Vaccine at the University of Pittsburgh (http://www.upmc.com/MediaRelations/factsheets/Pages/SalkPolioTimeline2005.aspx - broken link)
Timeline. Note work was also done at a state supported university, the University of Michigan.
As an investor who invests often enough in private companies doing drug research, I can assure you that you are wrong. I follow the FDA reports almost daily for pharmaceutical results and they happen far more often from private enterprises than any federal government.

The fact that the "sky didnt fall" last year had little to do with governmental interaction.. In fact it had NOTHING to do with governmental involvement. People didnt need government to go get a flu shot.. I know you find this difficult to believe but its true.

Your example of Polio is a prime example of PRIVATE entities not government funding medical research.. The National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis funded the Polio research, not the federal government.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd have a discussion with someone who seriously thinks that without the government funding medical and pharmacy research we would die.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
People do not file "medical" bankruptcies.. they file bankruptcies for medical reasons but not due to the bills. Its mortgages, car loans, credit card bills etc which cause bankruptcies. I know.. you wont believe me so I challenge you.

Find me ONE person who has filed bankruptcy to avoid medical bills because the hospital was going after their home etc, and the only way to protect their assets is to file bk.. JUST ONE..

Fact is medical bankruptcies will continue to happen, even if by some miracle universal healthcare comes to market.. People have bills they need to pay and its those bills which create bk.. not the illness itself..

As an investor who invests often enough in private companies doing drug research, I can assure you that you are wrong. I follow the FDA reports almost daily for pharmaceutical results and they happen far more often from private enterprises than any federal government.

The fact that the "sky didnt fall" last year had little to do with governmental interaction.. In fact it had NOTHING to do with governmental involvement. People didnt need government to go get a flu shot.. I know you find this difficult to believe but its true.

Your example of Polio is a prime example of PRIVATE entities not government funding medical research.. The National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis funded the Polio research, not the federal government.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd have a discussion with someone who seriously thinks that without the government funding medical and pharmacy research we would die.
I sure know that..BAX..I got in at $45 and made a sweet $10/share before I got out. That a was a no brainer since the CDC was predicting death and destruction plus the governments ordered all those doses. That was like taking candy from a baby. Took all of one google search to find out who were making those flu vaccines for the government.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,600,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The Repubs couldn't give a crap about poor people having healthcare. It is a party of the rich, by the rich and for the rich. They couldn't care less about the poor and middle class. As long as multinational corporations and wealthy fat cats are making their billions, the so-called conservatives are satisfied. If the poor all die of cancer (or preventable diseases) because they lack access to healthcare, hey, it's less people to compete with them for resources. It's all about "personal responsibility!" Unless, of course, it's a big corporation that's struggling: then they'll authorize bailouts to the tune of billions of dollars. Billions for failing corporations, not one red cent for working-class Americans. It's the Republican way.

And while Republican voters assume GOP "cares" about their tax dollars and cents,
all Americans are getting screwed by corporate Scrooge AND Ghost of Christmas Future:
Global Health-Care Snapshot

Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,232,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
And while Republican voters assume GOP "cares" about their tax dollars and cents,
all Americans are getting screwed by corporate Scrooge AND Ghost of Christmas Future:

Wow.. out of context quotes which ignore numerous items.. But tell me, what do you think about the fact that reports show that healthcare costs will be .3% higher in 2019 because of Obamacare than without it as comparison of GDP? Tell me what you think of the fact that corporate scrooges WROTE the bill passed by Obama? Do you know these things? Do you even care? Or do you live to attack the GOP with thread after thread of meaningless gibbor gabber?

National Health Spending Projections: The Estimated Impact Of Reform Through 2019 -- Sisko et al. 29 (10): 1933 -- Health Affairs

Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,017,262 times
Quote:

I'd rather scores of corporate Scrooges attempt to screw me than federal government mandate I accept the screwing.

With corporations I always have the option of saying no and taking my business elsewhere. That isn't an option with government as they can and will use force to compel compliance with their edicts.

How you can continually rationalize further empowering government to force citizens into compliance while at the same time demonizing corporations dependent on the goodwill of their customers consistently astounds me.

You'd do well to at least consider George Washington's words; "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,600,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I'd rather scores of corporate Scrooges attempt to screw me than federal government mandate I accept the screwing.

With corporations I always have the option of saying no and taking my business elsewhere. That isn't an option with government as they can and will use force to compel compliance with their edicts.

How you can continually rationalize further empowering government to force citizens into compliance while at the same time demonizing corporations dependent on the goodwill of their customers consistently astounds me.

You'd do well to at least consider George Washington's words; "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
There are many Tiny Tims and Bob Cratchits who get screwed by Scrooge corporate insurance until the day they die, just like in Charles Dickens' era, but this is unacceptable in America.
Health and happiness go hand in hand.

"Liberty is to the collective body, what health is to every individual body. Without health no pleasure can be tasted by man; without Liberty, no happiness can be enjoyed by society"
-Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-14-2010, 09:40 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,017,262 times
Quote:
There are many Tiny Tims and Bob Cratchits who get screwed until they die , while true in Charles Dickens era, is unacceptable in America.

[LEFT][/LEFT]
[SIZE=3]"Liberty is to the collective body, what health is to every individual body. Without health no pleasure can be tasted by man; without Liberty, no happiness can be enjoyed by society"
-Thomas Jefferson
[/SIZE]
Jefferson's words were intended to illustrate the importance of individual liberty. They had nothing to do with justifying the actions of a bloated and overly powerful government.

Care to try again without attempting to twist words to support your position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies