Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,342,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not lying (let's call a spade a spade). You've got a pretty good plan b/c you have enough income to fund it. My daughter, however, makes $10.40 an hour at a day care center. She's lucky to be able to afford the BC/BS she has. She passed on the dental b/c she couldn't afford the cost and we help her out with that. (She's only 23.) She can't take any more money out to put in an HSA.
I didn't call you a liar, and I do give you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you just don't completely understand how the plans work. Take your daughter for example. A single individual's expense for premiums under my particular HDHP would be $52.44/month as opposed to $247/month for the PPO plan. If she did the HDHP and put $52.44 towards the premium, that would allow her to put the remaining $195 towards funding her HSA. An individual's maximum out of pocket expense for medical costs under this plan is $1200. Once she met that $1200 the policy kicks in and pays 100% of the remainder of medical expenses. She would use the money from her HSA to pay for that initial $1200 and STILL have $1140 left over for future expenses. OR, she could opt to only put $100 into the HSA per month that would equal the amount she'd be on the hook for, which would bring her total monthly expenses for insurance premium and HSA funding to $154 per month. The PPO plan that costs $247/month is an 80/20 plan and still has deductibles which she'd be on the hook for meeting, and her costs aren't capped as she'd be responsible for her 20% of everything anyhow.

It's simple math. She'd be better off with the HDHP/HSA and have better coverage and less risk than the PPO plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
News Flash. Most people can't afford 600 a month for insurance and the HSA DEDUCTION.
Which is higher... $600 for HDHP + HSA contribution or $1840 for PPO plan?

You clearly don't get it.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,973,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Which is higher... $600 for HDHP + HSA contribution or $1840 for PPO plan?

You clearly don't get it.
No I get it, but what you don't get is that is most americans cannot afford either one. When your health insurance costs exceed your monthly housing costs you run into a big problem. I don't know where you live, but the average person--who is working---does not make very much in Arkansas. Paying this much would eat up most of their takehome pay.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
No I get it, but what you don't get is that is most americans cannot afford either one. When your health insurance costs exceed your monthly housing costs you run into a big problem.
Okay, so by your logic a policy that offers better coverage and costs 1/3 that of a traditional policy is still bad because .... ummm, because... well, ummm, because people just can't afford to pay anything for health insurance. Right.

We aren't talking about people so poor they qualify for welfare and medicaid, okay?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,973,557 times
Quote:
Okay, so by your logic a policy that offers better coverage and costs 1/3 that of a traditional policy is still bad because .... ummm, because... well, ummm, because people just can't afford to pay anything for health insurance. Right.

We aren't talking about people so poor they qualify for welfare and medicaid, okay?
No I did not say anything. I said that MOST not just the poor who qualify for medicaid can not pay the numbers that you are talking about. If you pay 600 a month for HDHC and then an additional $500 a month to cover the $6000 deductible you are talking about $1100 a month.

People just don't make that much money here. In New York, Dallas, Denver, etc. not as big of an issue, but when you are only making 23K a year, big problem.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Mine is 80% with a $5000 deductible, so I can at least say I have insurance and the lowest rate possible.
$900 a month premiums.
That is 1/2 of my daughter's pre-tax monthly pay. She does not qualify for medicaid, either. She is limited to a basic BC/BS plan. I think a lot of people on here don't understand that not everyone is making $100K/yr.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
No I get it, but what you don't get is that is most americans cannot afford either one. When your health insurance costs exceed your monthly housing costs you run into a big problem. I don't know where you live, but the average person--who is working---does not make very much in Arkansas. Paying this much would eat up most of their takehome pay.
This is for family coverage, not individual. I prefer to fund my HSA the maximum amount allowable by law, which is $6150/year. I could opt not to put a penny into that and run the risk of being on the hook for the full amount of the family deductible of $6000/year. Then I'd only pay $150/month for the insurance premium alone. My annual risk would be $6000, which is still considerably better than what I'd pay for traditional PPO plan.

And, I realize the cost of living in Arkansas is probably a lot less than in Chicago, but working people should be expected to pay something towards their own insurance. How much do you think it should costs. I don't find $150/month pre-tax is too much to ask.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
No I did not say anything. I said that MOST not just the poor who qualify for medicaid can not pay the numbers that you are talking about. If you pay 600 a month for HDHC and then an additional $500 a month to cover the $6000 deductible you are talking about $1100 a month.

People just don't make that much money here. In New York, Dallas, Denver, etc. not as big of an issue, but when you are only making 23K a year, big problem.
*sigh*... the $600/month IS the TOTAL AMOUNT FOR THE INSURANCE PREMIUM PLUS THE HSA CONTRIBUTION. IT'S NOT $600 + $500.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 9,169,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Typically a hospital will charge a self-pay customer the same amount they get from Medicaid. The $30,000 figure is the so-called 'street price'. Insurance companies negotiate pre-determined pricing and it's always a good deal lower. Rather than suffer acute appendicitis and possible peritonitis, what was it worth to you for them to save your life?
His first born.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:04 AM

13,619 posts, read 21,431,678 times
Quote:
Because hospitals have to foot the bill for those who don't pay i.e., illegals using our health care systems. The raise the rates on those who can/do pay to cover the losses they incur for those who can't/don't pay.

They pay it out of their bank account/personal expenses or get reinbursed from government? Because if they get reinbursed from government seems to me this the scenerio.

Hospital~ ok we'll tell government the bill is $10,000 when actually it is $5,000. The government will agree to $7000, lol we just made a extra $2000 , but hey its government, they (you and I from taxes) can pay it.

So maybe it isn't just lazy people bleeding government? Maybe business does also sometimes? Of course if hospitals are paying themselves for non payers I'll concede. So what is the real deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies