Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay couples having children
Yes - it is all about the love a child is given, not the sex of the parents 158 74.53%
No - we are meant to have a male and a female bring us up 54 25.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,329,467 times

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings about it. At the end of the day what really matters is the child is care for, loved and nutured by their parents whether they are gay or straight.

On one hand I am against a child being subjected to the hatred and challenges that may come from a gay marriage. I couldn't imagine as the child got older that he/she wouldn't be teased by his fellow peers. Just look at what happened with the recent tragedies of teens coming out that they were gay. Even though they themselves may not be gay, they could be harrassed because their parents are.

On the other hand, who is to say a straight marriage is the best environment to raise a child either. We've all heard stories of abuse sexual, emotional and physical abuse towards kids.

I guess what I am saying is that I want every child to have a chance at a life that is free of pain, ridicule, abuse, etc. but that would be asking for the impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,641,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Bingo! I believe in equal rights for all law-abiding citizens! What a damaging idea! Our country and society are going right into the diaper genie!

It's funny, macgeek, that 2 of the 3 things you listed about parenthood were gross diapers. That's one of the things that comes to mind first for me too!
I'm not married, and have no children, BUT I have had enough nieces and nephews to have experienced parents interacting with newborns who are pooping green Velcro that smells like New Jersey on a 102° day
and even with their eyes watering from the stench THEY STILL LOVE THE CHILD.

Jonathan

Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I have mixed feelings about it. At the end of the day what really matters is the child is care for, loved and nutured by their parents whether they are gay or straight.

On one hand I am against a child being subjected to the hatred and challenges that may come from a gay marriage. I couldn't imagine as the child got older that he/she wouldn't be teased by his fellow peers. Just look at what happened with the recent tragedies of teens coming out that they were gay. Even though they themselves may not be gay, they could be harrassed because their parents are.

On the other hand, who is to say a straight marriage is the best environment to raise a child either. We've all heard stories of abuse sexual, emotional and physical abuse towards kids.

I guess what I am saying is that I want every child to have a chance at a life that is free of pain, ridicule, abuse, etc. but that would be asking for the impossible.

That's life though dear, life will always produce challenges no matter what you try to avoid.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:

I am, generally, for it. But seeniorita brought up something I hadn't thought about. The children may, indeed, be subjected to "hatred and challenges" that may come from a gay union. I wouldn't wish that on a child. However, that may be a relatively small price to pay for being brought up in a loving environment. There are way too many hetero couples who don't know the first thing about parenting and/or have children for all the wrong reasons.

I guess what I'm saying is there are a lot of grey areas in this issue.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
The children may, indeed, be subjected to "hatred and challenges" that may come from a gay union.
The challenges probably aren't all that different that what the children of interracial or interfaith couples experienced a few generations ago. People have gotten past that, for the most part, as well.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
my experience has been children brought up by same sex parents expect nothing less than children brought up by traditional couples...
to them seeing their 2 dads snuggling on the couch while wathicn a movie is not "weird" running in to the bedroom xmas morning to wake up their 2 mommies to them is no different than the child of a traditional couple doing the same thing.

most kids raised by same sex couples adore their parents just as much as those raised in traditional families,
they have been raised without the stigma surrounding gay couples
to them their 2 daddies is completly normal and nothing to be ashamed about.

i have a friend who was raised by a lesbian couple (the birth mother was married to a male at one point in her late teen years and had my frined before allowing herself to be truly happy in the relationship she truly wanted)

aparently during the younger years kids were curious, never offensive, kids arnt born to think of relationships in male/female simply in "mommy loves daddy" so kids would often ask why she didnt have a daddy...she would tell them that she didnt have a daddy because she had 2 mommies...
during middle school she aparently had a few more comments, but no more so than the kids of single parents...and then shed simply tell people that she had a wonderfull family that loved her very much...
in highscool kids were highschool kids, some thought it was cool, others didnt care and the rare few would make comments...but to her it didnt matter because she had a family that loved her very much.
in college noone cared.

these kids raised by same sex parents are also typically taught that other kids are raised by a mommy and a daddy, while yet other kids are raised by just a mommy...or just a daddy...
to them theres nothing strange about seeing families of all different kinds...

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,806 times
Quote:
On one hand I am against a child being subjected to the hatred and challenges that may come from a gay marriage.
Well, who is to blame for said hatred and challenges? The only reason why any child of a gay couple would be tease is primarily due to the other children's own upbringing.

Homophobic parents are more likely to raise homophobic children.

Why deny gay couples the right to have children? Instead, straight couples should be banned for fear of raising homophobic children

Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,329,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Well, who is to blame for said hatred and challenges? The only reason why any child of a gay couple would be tease is primarily due to the other children's own upbringing.

Homophobic parents are more likely to raise homophobic children.
I absolutely agree with you but I didn't make the world so.

Quote:
Why deny gay couples the right to have children? Instead, straight couples should be banned for fear of raising homophobic children
Here's another part of my post you forgot to quote:

"At the end of the day what really matters is the child is care for, loved and nutured by their parents whether they are gay or straight."

Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I am, generally, for it. But seeniorita brought up something I hadn't thought about. The children may, indeed, be subjected to "hatred and challenges" that may come from a gay union. I wouldn't wish that on a child. However, that may be a relatively small price to pay for being brought up in a loving environment. There are way too many hetero couples who don't know the first thing about parenting and/or have children for all the wrong reasons.

I guess what I'm saying is there are a lot of grey areas in this issue.

They said the same thing about interracial couples having kids 40 years ago as well. The fact is that kids will always be the subject of this stuff.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,339,068 times
I can't believe some people actually voted NO????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies