Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,991 times

Advertisements

There is a good debate going on the Atlanta board about Michael Vick and the discussion quickly turned to race. Many non-blacks find it hard to understand the support that is given to high profile blacks like OJ and Michael Vick. This article is a good read even though I could never understand supporting someone because of something was done generations ago. I know must be because I am white. What are your thoughts?

Why Black People Support Michael Vick - COLORLINES

Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Theehor View Post
I liken it to being stranded out in the ocean with nothing to keep you afloat. You grab and hang onto the first thing that comes floating by.

In all seriousness, I couldn't tell you. Those mentioned are truly deplorable human beings. I remember some placing Rodney King on a pedestal as well......a career criminal.
Rodney King, I forgot about him. Good call

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Lmao and all the sick people glorification some white people(celebrities/actors/athletes etc etc) hang onto who have done bad things

edited for the OP who fail to come to terms in which i was talking about!

Last edited by city414; 11-23-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,806 times
Maybe they want to continue to feel like the victim so they don't have to take responsibility for their actions? It's so easy to blame the other person for one's problems, especially when it is used to bypass any responsibility.

Of course, there are other social factors as well. But other minority groups have risen, so why can't the AA? The only reason I could think of is that the AA community wants to segregate themselves away from the rest of the people. And in there, anger and resentment boils.

I really did wish that more people would call the AA community out on their BS.

On a side note, I want affirmative action just because I'm an Asian minority. Where's my pity party?? >.>

Old 11-23-2010, 09:40 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
There is a good debate going on the Atlanta board about Michael Vick and the discussion quickly turned to race. Many non-blacks find it hard to understand the support that is given to high profile blacks like OJ and Michael Vick. This article is a good read even though I could never understand supporting someone because of something was done generations ago. I know must be because I am white. What are your thoughts?

Why Black People Support Michael Vick - COLORLINES

I don't support OJ, but I do support Michael Vicks. Michael served his time and has actually been very positive since his release. Why would I not support him just as any other black, white, asian ect?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Maybe they want to continue to feel like the victim so they don't have to take responsibility for their actions? It's so easy to blame the other person for one's problems, especially when it is used to bypass any responsibility.

Of course, there are other social factors as well. But other minority groups have risen, so why can't the AA? The only reason I could think of is that the AA community wants to segregate themselves away from the rest of the people. And in there, anger and resentment boils.

I really did wish that more people would call the AA community out on their BS.

On a side note, I want affirmative action just because I'm an Asian minority. Where's my pity party?? >.>
man please you probably are R yourself, and which minority groups has risen? the smallest minority groups can indeed rise thees not that many of them and have no history in the US racially

Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
Lmao and all the sick people glorification some white people hang onto
Thanks for contributing even though I cant really understand what your trying to say.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I don't support OJ, but I do support Michael Vicks. Michael served his time and has actually been very positive since his release. Why would I not support him just as any other black, white, asian ect?
Did you support him when the initial charges came out or did you condemn him and his actions?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post

people on here be exposing themselves on here everyday and dont realise it. its a crime for us to forgive our own but its okay for them to do it and they have

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Wow, what's with the hatred here?

One reason many people do not understand the uproar over Michael Vick is really simple. Because although no one likes animal cruelty, it is ridiculous that Vick was punished more harshly than rapists, child abusers, spouse abusers and even some murderers. That sounds unfair to me. Why don't we come down as hard on people who terrorize other people? Human life should be more valuable than the life of animals for our justice system.

I think Vick should be punished, but if the guy who raped 4 people got 12 months of probation, then I need to side with Michael Vick. That punishment was unnecessarily harsh.

Some people support OJ because he "beat" the justice system. He was found not guilty, it is pretty rare that happens. It is support in principal more than real support. And for other African-americans, they grew up with OJ, so it is hard to see him as a murderer. This is not an uncommon phenomenon, so I do not understand people are calling out African-Americans for refusing to believe someone they liked did something bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies