Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Whatever became of the issue of his Indonesian citizenship? If I remember correctly, to attend school in Indonesia, his US citizenship had to be renounced, according to Indonesian law. So, when he and his mother came back to the US, did she ever have his citizenship reinstated? I've never heard an answer to that.
Just for the moment let's accept this story as being true... for the moment.

You can not renounce one's citizenship by standing in a room and saying three times, I renounce you, I renounce you, I renounce you. You must appear before a U.S. consular or diplomatic office and sign an oath of renunciation. Also, parents CANNOT renounce a minor child's citizenship, "the child must be of sufficient age and be able to CONVINCE a U.S. diplomat or consular officer that they fully understand the nature and consequences of the oath of renunciation, is not subject to duress, or undue influence, and is voluntarily seeking to renounce their U.S. citizenship."

Now considering that this signed oath and interview carry such weight, if such an renunciation EVER took place, there should be ample record of it.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just for the moment let's accept this story as being true... for the moment.

You can not renounce one's citizenship by standing in a room and saying three times, I renounce you, I renounce you, I renounce you. You must appear before a U.S. consular or diplomatic office and sign an oath of renunciation. Also, parents CANNOT renounce a minor child's citizenship, "the child must be of sufficient age and be able to CONVINCE a U.S. diplomat or consular officer that they fully understand the nature and consequences of the oath of renunciation, is not subject to duress, or undue influence, and is voluntarily seeking to renounce their U.S. citizenship."

Now considering that this signed oath and interview carry such weight, if such an renunciation EVER took place, there should be ample record of it.
Oh, Ok. And I know you don't repeat I renounce you 3 times. No need to be a jerk about it. Thanks for the info anyway.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why does Obama not need to produce his Birth certificate to run for office?

Heck, I bet most of us has had to show our birth certificate to numerous officials when we wanted to marry or do any legal business. My husband had to send for his certificate when he didn't have it. Had to pay to get it as well. I had mine already in my baby book. My hubby's was lost when his family moved so much. He had to jump through some hoops to get it but he had to get it.

So why did Obama get a pass?
Because he already did when he was elected to the Senate

Old 11-24-2010, 07:41 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why does Obama not need to produce his Birth certificate to run for office?

Heck, I bet most of us has had to show our birth certificate to numerous officials when we wanted to marry or do any legal business. My husband had to send for his certificate when he didn't have it. Had to pay to get it as well. I had mine already in my baby book. My hubby's was lost when his family moved so much. He had to jump through some hoops to get it but he had to get it.

So why did Obama get a pass?
What are you talking about??

Obama showed his birth certificate several years ago. The birth certificate was verified by officials in Hawaii. That wasn't enough for the birther crowd....

Old 11-24-2010, 08:25 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And you know that Obama was never, in any circumstances, required to show his birth certificate? Exactly how do you know this? Or is it just something you say to defend "W"?
Can you say drivers license? Can you say enrolling at the beginning of school? How about registering to vote?

BTW, *I* never mentioned Bush, you did.

A very simple way to resolve this situation. While I think it is an irrelevant topic of discussion, all he has to do is provide original documents and/or an original birth certificate. Easy enough for most of us. Apparently difficult for Obama.

Not so easy for those blindly and devotedly following the one.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am not quite sure this could be considered a thought.
You appear to not be quite so sure of anything that your leader does not tell you to think.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What are you talking about??

Obama showed his birth certificate several years ago. The birth certificate was verified by officials in Hawaii. That wasn't enough for the birther crowd....
Just a point. He never showed a "birth certificate". He showed a statement of live birth. Totally different thing. Several on your side of the aisle have acknowledged this.

Perhaps you should study the facts prior to making such a statement.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ummm.. How do you know he did? Again, he has a birth certificate issued by the state of Hawaii.

This is why some conservatives have zero credibility in my book. Make hay out of non-issues and ignore real ones.
Ya, it's a

""been beaten to death but I can't think how to criticize Obama today and I can't see any serious problems with this country so get out that Dead Horse, thread"""

It's amazing the people who have missed the discussions and conclusions of this topic for the last 3 years....where HAVE they been?????

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And you know that Obama was never, in any circumstances, required to show his birth certificate? Exactly how do you know this? Or is it just something you say to defend "W"?
I'm sure the FBI knows where Obama was born, but they're not going to rat out their boss.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Can you say drivers license? Can you say enrolling at the beginning of school? How about registering to vote?

BTW, *I* never mentioned Bush, you did.

A very simple way to resolve this situation. While I think it is an irrelevant topic of discussion, all he has to do is provide original documents and/or an original birth certificate. Easy enough for most of us. Apparently difficult for Obama.

Not so easy for those blindly and devotedly following the one.
Obama has done so. His BC has been verified as authentic by the gov. of HI. No gov. ever verified mine, but I did get a passport with it. Mine was issued 16 years after I was born. I guess I needed it for my driver's license.

I have never had to "whip it out" to register to vote, and I have been regisitered in 4 different states (not at the same time, LOL!).

BTW, I did not bring up Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies