Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:10 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,340,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Same here.

Ergohead, you were out of line towards Mac, especially with your second comment.
Sir! Your son may be harming his country for selfish reasons.

There! All better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 07:12 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I see her point as it seems shallow, but it's better than getting spit on.
Debunked numerous times, please provide some proof that this occurred; remember anecdote does not equal data.

The day a battle or whole war is fought on US soil is nearing and that thankyou then may have somewhat more impact.
Anything to back you up?; didn't think so.

I don't know any better way to tell a stranger who you some how know has served or is serving. I suppose if you know someone who is serving you can pack up a big box of gifts they can use right now, candies, foods, soaps and water less cleaners etc, writting tools, paper, and assorted other things you can afford lots off and send them over seas.
Wht do you do, send something off to soldier/apo...
Have you even done this?

Quote:
OT: Are you in country now? My son just went to the beach (kwait).

He says he likes summer camping
He made a CHOICE to join, didn't he?

Quote:
That was a bonehead thing to say. Maybe you should look up what JFK had to say sometime, after you get done holding your breath, and pull your head out of the sand.

My son is up to his butt in sand right now and for fools like you, who can take freedom and liberty for granted and whine like a bunch of little school girls.
He's not doing a darned thing for me. He joined to fight for corporate America.
Why else? for the medical care? for education benefits?
If it was only for support the country, then he's turning down all othere benefits, isn't he.
He's doing this for himself on some level.

Quote:
Please go on and do tell. I gotta hear this BS.
Creating even more bad will against the US for an unfounded, unnecesary war in the middle east.
How's that?
He joined for his own reasons; not altruism.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:17 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,715,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
How many of you actually say this to service members and why?

I for one think it is highly offensive and this is nothing more than empty platitudes.
It's what's in the heart that makes the difference between empty platitude and genuine gratitude. I say it as often as the opportunity presents itself, and often I get a bit misty-eyed because I feel it so deeply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Sometimes the smallest gesture one can make means the most.

Thanks Guamanians! And to all that serve to defend freedom everywhere!
Yes, sincerest and heartfelt thanks to Guamanians, to Mac's son, and to all our service members!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Your son may be harming his country for selfish reasons.
I wish you wouldn't bring politics into this, or call our men and women in uniform "selfish". You may not like war as most of us don't like war, but unfortunately war is a way of life because there are people who are always seeking to oppress others. I'm sure our service men and women don't like war either, but they love their country and are willing to go when called up.

American civilians have been, for the most part, incredibly sheltered and spoiled. They speak of liberty and freedom without understanding what it means to not have them. I hope the American people never experience that kind of oppression on their own soil.

Be sure that you (generic you) don't deny the US military forces the credit and gratitude they deserve just because you are "anti-war".

Old 11-25-2010, 07:18 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,866,822 times
I was in an office last week and two elderly men were talking about their WWII days. When I was leaving, I walked over to the one in his uniform jacket. I took his hand and told him "Thank you for your service to our country." He was very surprised and most pleased.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:18 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,413,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Unless you've served, I don't think you can speak

And, hey, Guamanians - thanks for serving our great country!

This right here when in other topics like validity of war, is where I understand the OP's basis for asking the question. While vets and military folk deserve to be remembered and have the promises that were given to them kept, the term " thanks for your service" in some sense has become a patriotic correctness tool to attempt to silence debate and or protest over America entering wars and troop usage. Past debates I have seen some in defending going to Iraq or other places say something like " protesting Iraq endangers the troops mission and ability to win and that makes you anti American and one who doesn't support the troops".

I believe in honoring the military, but I do not believe in putting them on a pedestal and using the military as a reference to defining ones loyalty and patriotism.

I object to the notion that the military is the only reason America is "free", that the military is the sole guardian of America's liberty. Civilians have a large hand and responsibilty in it also and that sometimes means challenging the reason for war and military usage. A civilian is as much a citizen as a military person and the civilians are rightfully the ultimate boss of the military unlike in this video......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_urWSSZgwU

Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's what's in the heart that makes the difference between empty platitude and genuine gratitude.

Yes, sincerest and heartfelt thanks!

I wish you wouldn't bring politics into this, or call our men and women in uniform "selfish". You may not like war as most of us don't like war, but unfortunately war is a way of life because there are people who are always seeking to oppress others. I'm sure our service men and women don't like war either, but they love their country and are willing to go when called up.

American civilians have been, for the most part, incredibly sheltered and spoiled. They speak of liberty and freedom without understanding what it means to not have them. I hope the American people never experience that kind of oppression on their own soil.

Be sure that you (generic you) don't deny the US military forces the credit and gratitude they deserve just because you are "anti-war".
I'm not anti-war.

There is a time, a place, and a purpose for an activated military.

I haven't seen any in my lifetime.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The people who thanked you didn't mean it.
Really? I'd swear I meant it every time I said it.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:28 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,040,808 times
To all you anti millitary idiots. I hope when you really need them they don't show up.fend for yourselves idiots. get on your keyboard and beg for help, then die. this aint a fake world we are living in it is real. get a clue

Old 11-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
There is a time, a place, and a purpose for an activated military.

I haven't seen any in my lifetime.
Perhaps because they're so busy fighting, keeping it from our shores.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Perhaps because they're so busy fighting, keeping it from our shores.
Maybe they should consider a career involving the protection of our borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies