Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'm surprised Julian Assange is still breathing.
Maybe killing him would be too obvious nowadays. I heard his previous charges of sexual assault and the like were dropped, and then renewed again Maybe trying to discredit him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I'm suspicious he's CIA.
I don't think he's CIA.

I think this is the 'transparency' O was talking about during his campaign.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:55 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
In the good 'ol days they'd try em for treason and then adios muchacho.
I wonder how soon he'll get to releasing all these Congressional bills so we can read them before they get passed by Congress?

Old 11-27-2010, 05:14 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I don't think he's CIA.

I think this is the 'transparency' O was talking about during his campaign.
You're probably right.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It is one thing to make assertions and claims about events happening. Its another thing when it becomes public that it is happening in the words of those committing these acts.
It's our hypocrisy that's causing problems. Why do we do horrible things and blame others for bringing it to light?

I suspect part of the fear is that the extend of involvement in a variety of issues will come to be known and some of the things suspected will not only turn out to be true but it will dawn on people that it may just be, "the tip of the iceberg"
I believe it is the tip of the iceberg; and that perhaps the US deserves its downfall.
If you don't want to get in trouble for things, don't do them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Turkish Intelligence has already comprised/blackmailed our elected officials. Tit for tat I guess.
And you know this, how?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Why don't we punish the people who are leaking the stories?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post

That's a good question. Here are a couple of more:

1. Why is Wikileaks still operating?

2. How do our government officials know what's about to be leaked? Does Wiki give them a heads up or what? Could it all be a disinformation campaign?

Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Because the truth has sanctuary?

Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's a good question. Here are a couple of more:

1. Why is Wikileaks still operating?

2. How do our government officials know what's about to be leaked? Does Wiki give them a heads up or what? Could it all be a disinformation campaign?
Why are we doing things that are illegal or that we're ashamed of?
That's the real question.

On one hand people whine that the government is full of secrets and not acting in our best interest, on the other hand, they're whining about the truth being told.

Either you want the truth or you want to be lied to.

Pentagon Papers anyone?

Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why are we doing things that are illegal or that we're ashamed of?
That's the real question.

On one hand people whine that the government is full of secrets and not acting in our best interest, on the other hand, they're whining about the truth being told.

Either you want the truth or you want to be lied to.

Pentagon Papers anyone?
No government or business or even family can operate without any secrets at all. Complete openess, total and utter transparency, is a recipe for disaster and you should know that. For instance, do you tell your kids what Santa Claus is bringing them weeks before Christmas morning? If not, that's a secret which would be embarrassing if you got caught at it.

More to the point, do you and your spouse allow your children to listen in on your most personal and private conversations? Do you notify the neighbors when you privately make a comment about them? Would you like your boss to know what you said about him at the water cooler a couple of weeks ago when you were mad at him? Would you like to have your business planning sessions, the ones where you toss about new ideas and new products, made available to the competition? While your lawyer and you are plotting a defense in a law suit, would you allow the other party to listen in?

Of course not! Government works the same way. Those entrusted with our government MUST have the assurance that their private conversations among themselves will remain just that...among themselves. That's how policies are crafted, that's how plans are made and responses to crises formulated; by the free and open exchange of ideas and opinions.

Certainly, some things are kept private for the wrong reasons and, surely, national security is used as cover up far too often, and a free press has the right, duty and obligation to ferret out the truth whenever they can, but it MUST be done with some sense of responsibility and in a manner which does not endanger the country or our men and women in the field.

Just because wikileaks has something does not automatically mean it needs to be published. They have to use some discreation, wouldn't you think? An example of what I'm talking about was during WWII when Eisenhower took the press into his confidence about operations in North Africa, but asked them not to reveal specifics until he gave the OK. They agreed and abided by it for the good of the coming operations, the lives of the troops and success of the war in general.

So far, wikileaks has not risen to such a level of journalistic integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies