Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Why is it "terrorism" to reveal the information that appears in this news story, how does it harm our security or foreign policy, and why doesn't the US government want Americans (or anybody else) to be aware of this:

Leaks: China knows less about NKorea than thought - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101130/ap_on_re_as/as_china_nkorea_wikileaks - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Exposing evil deeds is not terror. hiding corruption is terror.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,795 times
For me, this harkens back to the early days of illegal file sharing when so many politicians naively thought that illegally downloading music and movies could be eradicated by legal punishment or new technologies.

This is the result of the technological age in which we live. Whether we think it's terrorism or heroism is irrelevant in the end. It WILL continue to happen to some degree.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Exposing evil deeds is not terror. hiding corruption is terror.
Now, just a dang minute here, lady. You've just implied quite a few posters on this forum to be terrorists.

Their acts of concealment are for their own personal gain.

It's just business, nothing personal.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM

31 posts, read 44,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
How should they be punished for their irresponsible release of classified documents?

Personally, I would like to see the individuals that leaked these docs tried for espionage and/or treason, and I would like to see the principals behind WikiLeaks brought up on espionage charges and sent to prison for a very, very long time.

These misguided fools think they are doing some greater service, when in fact all they doing is putting Americans in danger and making us less secure. Classified documents are classified for a reason, and stealing them to give to foriegn entities is espionage, and those who have possession of them illegally are also criminals.

This crap has got to stop.
Terrorists, perhaps NOT.

SPIES, absolutely.

Short drop 'em

Old 11-30-2010, 11:24 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
How should they be punished for their irresponsible release of classified documents?
It wasn't irresponsible.

The documents were improperly classified for reasons of national embarrassment and not national security.

Julian Assange should get a Nobel Prize.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
All classified documents are available under FOIA? Fine: get us the secret nuclear launch codes under FOIA.
Acutally you can get those documents, but all of the information will be blacked out so you can't read it, just like the text of all of April Glaspie's telexes sent prior to the Gulf War between US Embassy Mission Baghdad and the US State Department.

I guess there's something in those telexes the US doesn't want you to know, just like they don't want you to know the US 7th Corps in Germany was training in the desert on the Turkish-Iraqi desert prior to the Gulf War. Ooops.

Well, you know, I guess the 1st AD and 3rd ID had to train in the desert just in case they came up against those fierce nomadic tribes in the Polish desert.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:45 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:

Personally, I would like to see the individuals that leaked these docs tried for espionage and/or treason, and I would like to see the principals behind WikiLeaks brought up on espionage charges and sent to prison for a very, very long time.

These misguided fools think they are doing some greater service, when in fact all they doing is putting Americans in danger and making us less secure. Classified documents are classified for a reason, and stealing them to give to foriegn entities is espionage, and those who have possession of them illegally are also criminals.

This crap has got to stop.
This is treason, and they should be punished accordingly. I say, death by firing squad.

WikiLeaks is hosted on an Amazon mirror sight in Ireland. Amazon should shut it down, and if they don't, we should boycott Amazon.com at the Very least.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It wasn't irresponsible.

The documents were improperly classified for reasons of national embarrassment and not national security.

I second that!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It wasn't irresponsible.

Don't dirty him with that prize , did anyone get killed over anything? I don't think its that big a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies