Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 PM

502 posts, read 1,252,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
And how does an Air Marshall sitting in his seat on an airplane deal with the unscreened cargo problem?
Was that not his point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,471,240 times
Let's just eliminate all airline security. Anyone should be able to buy a ticket, throw their packages in the bin, and take a seat - no questions asked. The savings will be enormous, and the government will be out of the way. That should make everyone happy.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,947,412 times
Cockpit doors indeed can be opened in flight. Pilots don't gate-check their bladders.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,910,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Uh, where are you getting your data? Which doors cannot be opened while in the air?
If the cabin is pressurized the doors cannot be opened. You can push on them all day long and they won't budge. Now how often are cabins NOT pressurized during a flight at 30,XXX feet? Look it up if you don't believe me. Also look up how much pressure a person would need to push open that door and break the pressurized seal. Where am I getting my data...

BTW, I am talking about the outer doors...if you can't figure that out. Oh and the cockpit door can only be opened one way. And it ain't gonna be by someone storming the cockpit.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 AM

43,758 posts, read 44,531,359 times
Air Marshals should be on every flight and then perhaps they would be considered to have more potential effect if there is an attack during a flight.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,627,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
If the cabin is pressurized the doors cannot be opened. You can push on them all day long and they won't budge. Now how often are cabins NOT pressurized during a flight at 30,XXX feet? Look it up if you don't believe me. Also look up how much pressure a person would need to push open that door and break the pressurized seal. Where am I getting my data...

BTW, I am talking about the outer doors...if you can't figure that out. Oh and the cockpit door can only be opened one way. And it ain't gonna be by someone storming the cockpit.
What do air marshals have to do with opening the outer doors of the aircraft?

I work in the aviation industry, and am a pilot (albeit, not a commercial pilot), so I understand exactly what it takes to keep an aircraft safe. Non-screened cargo is a HUGE issue, but has very little to do with air marshals being on flights. There is nothing saying one cannot be improved without doing away with the other.

As far as your claims "can only be opened one way", by design, you're correct. Cockpit doors have been fortified, but SURELY you can understand "where there is a will there is a way".

Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,470,091 times
Can't win with this one, those who fly on a steady basic, most likely want the Air Marshals on the planes. You may feel they are a nuaisance, till that one dreadful day happens on a plane, then you may feel lucky that the marshals are on the plane with you.

Take them away, and flyers, will ----- people seem these days to want to complain about everything.

I do agree with others, that i feel it is the Non-Screened Cargo, that needs attention, that does bother me.

Cockpit doors are designed to be opened only one way, but you know the old saying, where there is a will, there is a way!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,333,430 times
All federal law enforcement personnel authorized to carry weapons when they fly basically are 'air marshalls'. Now what department do you think trains these men and women in safe and effective law enforcement aboard crowded planes?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,627,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
All federal law enforcement personnel authorized to carry weapons when they fly basically are 'air marshalls'. Now what department do you think trains these men and women in safe and effective law enforcement aboard crowded planes?
FAMs train at FLETC(Artesia).

Other armed federal offices on airplanes are commuting (business or otherwise), and are not there to protect the aircraft. While they *could* protect it, it is not their reason for being on the plane. Most other Feds would not have the additional aircraft portion of law enforcement training, which FAMs do at FAA's Hughes center in NJ.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,344,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Cockpit doors indeed can be opened in flight. Pilots don't gate-check their bladders.
I've witnessed yellow snow falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies