Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
We're loyal Americans here. You all go and create your dream state.
'Loyal Americans'?
Could you explain what makes you a 'loyal American'??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I truly don't understand how they can love the flag so much, and yet hate the Govt that flag represents.
LOL...you equate a centralised federal government with the founding principles of the United States,that might be the cause of your confusion.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post

I heard this too. Such love for the flag and free speech, but only if it agrees with what they have to say.
In this very thread,we have seen northerners spouting people need to leave or be tried for treason for free speech...

Guess THAT is different somehow?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The 1st Amendment is about free speech,and people are free to spout the vilest things...

The same principle would apply to States rights one would suppose.

Right?
There is a line that must be drawn in the interest of human decency. What if the "states rights" were about child labor or sexual slavery? These also bring in money. But hopefully our civilization recognizes that human rights supercede "states rights".

Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
There is a line that must be drawn in the interest of human decency. What if the "states rights" were about child labor or sexual slavery? These also bring in money. But hopefully our civilization recognizes that human rights supercede "states rights".
So a publication or person publicly advocating something that is abhorrent or against 'human decency' should be silenced,even if it means restricting 1st Amendment rights?

Isn't that 'ends justifying means'?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Interesting thread because it really highlights the differences in how one views history. I recall having a history teacher once that said there is no such thing as facts when it comes to history because it always matters who is in charge of telling that history.

While we look around at modern times politics and think the rhetoric is so polarizing and argumentative, I do believe it was quite a bit more volatile surrounding the time of the Civil War. After all, we haven't seen any fist fights on the floor of Congress, there have been no duels, and most citizens, even if they vehemently disagree with the current leadership, still fundamentally believe in the institution of our country.

Quite simply, there were multiple reasons for the secession of the Southern states and to say it was just slavery or just states rights isn't totally accurate. However, Southerners generally believe the driving fundamental reason was for states right but that doesn't mean that slavery wasn't a huge issue. It was. On the converse, from what I have seen on here, there is a general belief by some that the driving fundamental reason was indeed slavery.

So, basically I think this we have an impasse between those two point of views. However, please believe this, if nothing else. Southerners do not ignore the fact of slavery nor are they trying to deny its existence. Indeed, preserving historic artifacts and sites is hugely important in the South and anything related to slavery equally so. This gives our children, visitors, etc an opportunity to help understand all facets of Southern life way back when; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Doesn't mean we need to be ashamed of being Southern. It's our history.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Interesting thread because it really highlights the differences in how one views history. I recall having a history teacher once that said there is no such thing as facts when it comes to history because it always matters who is in charge of telling that history.

While we look around at modern times politics and think the rhetoric is so polarizing and argumentative, I do believe it was quite a bit more volatile surrounding the time of the Civil War. After all, we haven't seen any fist fights on the floor of Congress, there have been no duels, and most citizens, even if they vehemently disagree with the current leadership, still fundamentally believe in the institution of our country.

Quite simply, there were multiple reasons for the secession of the Southern states and to say it was just slavery or just states rights isn't totally accurate. However, Southerners generally believe the driving fundamental reason was for states right but that doesn't mean that slavery wasn't a huge issue. It was. On the converse, from what I have seen on here, there is a general belief by some that the driving fundamental reason was indeed slavery.

So, basically I think this we have an impasse between those two point of views. However, please believe this, if nothing else. Southerners do not ignore the fact of slavery nor are they trying to deny its existence. Indeed, preserving historic artifacts and sites is hugely important in the South and anything related to slavery equally so. This gives our children, visitors, etc an opportunity to help understand all facets of Southern life way back when; the good, the bad, and the ugly. Doesn't mean we need to be ashamed of being Southern. It's our history.
But ask yourself why, on this forum, there is thread after thread about the Civil War, Southern Secession, the right of states to leave the union, blah, blah, blah. It gets really tiresome to keep fighting this battle over and over. That's why I give up and just say leave if you hate this country so much.

Don't you find it a little unsettling that people still wish the Confederacy had won? Do you think the world and America would be a better place today if they had? Do you think that would have made America a stronger nation?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default It's just sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
NYT: South celebrates Civil War, without slaves - U.S. news - The New York Times - msnbc.com

The war has been re-branded as celebrations come up to drastically play down the role of slavery, and the fact it even happened. Instead many are making it all about "states rights" while the good ol' southern boys were defending their homes from the warring North.

Screw that one of the tantamount reasons to secession was to keep human beings as property I guess.
Most people have really no clue about the civil war and why it came about.

Here's a scary consideration.. How many people here know the MAJOR differences between the U.S. Constitution and the Articles of the Confederacy?

1. Presidential term was 6 years and not 4.
2. The articles of the confederacy forbade the importation of slaves. something the U.S. Constitution didn't ratify by amendment till after the civil war. Slaves were still coming into boston harbor, (yes virginia that's was in the north).
3. The Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves ONLY in the south, Slavery was alive and well in both the North, and the Western Territories.

President Lincoln made it about slaves to keep the European countries from siding with the south and providing them support.

Last, what most people think is the "Confederate Flag" is actually the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia.

Last edited by Darkatt; 12-01-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
But ask yourself why, on this forum, there is thread after thread about the Civil War, Southern Secession, the right of states to leave the union, blah, blah, blah. It gets really tiresome to keep fighting this battle over and over. That's why I give up and just say leave if you hate this country so much.

Don't you find it a little unsettling that people still wish the Confederacy had won? Do you think the world and America would be a better place today if they had? Do you think that would have made America a stronger nation?
If you do a search for "Civil War" in the title of Politics section of this board, there are 48 results. Secession garnered a whopping 19. Total thread count of 49704.

Some other threads, for comparison sake
Obama - 999
Bush - 993
Healthcare - 528
Republicans - 928
Democrats - 814

Thread after thread, huh? I think you are seeing what you want to see. Now, I did not go into each one of these threads to see the OP's position on them but still it's not so prevelant as you like to believe.

Since I have both served in and worked for the military my entire adult life, I do find the Civil War military campaigns fascinating. If the Confederacy had won, doubt it would have changed our country too much because the South was so devasted by war that it would not have been able to continue as an independent nation. I believe the result would have been pretty much the same but without Reconstruction, aka the punishment of the South. Would our country have been stronger if Lincoln had allowed the South to secede peacefully? Probably because the South would have either reentered the Union or created a stronger alliance with the Union. Slavery would have ended with or without the Civil War. All interesting questions to ponder but because we ponder them or have an opinion on them doesn't mean we "hate" this country nor does it mean we should just "leave" as you propose.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Most people have really no clue about the civil war and why it came about.

Here's a scary consideration.. How many people here know the MAJOR differences between the U.S. Constitution and the Articles of the Confederacy?

1. Presidential term was 6 years and not 4.
2. The articles of the confederacy forbade the importation of slaves. something the U.S. Constitution didn't ratify by amendment till after the civil war. Slaves were still coming into boston harbor, (yes virginia that's was in the north).

President Lincoln made it about slaves to keep the European countries from siding with the south and providing them support.

Last, what most people think is the "Confederate Flag" is actually the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia.
Very well put and a rep for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies