Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times

Advertisements

NYT: South celebrates Civil War, without slaves - U.S. news - The New York Times - msnbc.com

The war has been re-branded as celebrations come up to drastically play down the role of slavery, and the fact it even happened. Instead many are making it all about "states rights" while the good ol' southern boys were defending their homes from the warring North.

Screw that one of the tantamount reasons to secession was to keep human beings as property I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Dems are always attempting to re-write history.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,012,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
NYT: South celebrates Civil War, without slaves - U.S. news - The New York Times - msnbc.com

The war has been re-branded as celebrations come up to drastically play down the role of slavery, and the fact it even happened. Instead many are making it all about "states rights" while the good ol' southern boys were defending their homes from the warring North.

Screw that one of the tantamount reasons to secession was to keep human beings as property I guess.
Slavery wasn't the only reason you know, stop oversimplifying it. And in a way, they were defending themselves from the North.

FYI: MSNBC is probably even MORE Liberally biased than FOX is Conservativly biased.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

Well, fools just like the Holocaust deniers...

Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Seems ignorance truly IS bliss,at least for those who are so simplistic to think that the Civil War was mainly about slavery.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Slavery wasn't the only reason you know, stop oversimplifying it. And in a way, they were defending themselves from the North.
How does one defend oneself from the Federal government by firing on an American fort in an act of naked rebellion?

I eagerly await your response.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Seems ignorance truly IS bliss,at least for those who are so simplistic to think that the Civil War was mainly about slavery.
Thank you!

It saddens me that our schools do such a poor job that a foreign national (I assume, based on your screen name) knows more about our history than some of the folks who were born here.

In our Civil War, who was "wrong" and who was "right" is largely determined by who wins. Just like most/all wars... "History is written by the victors." -Winston Churchill

P.S. Slavery was only a minor consideration for going to war.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Exactly!!

The libs like to try to re-write history so that they can cry racism and a host of other pathetic things. It is getting so old!

My husband joined a local branch of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and I cannot say enough good about the group. It is truly about heritage. I am so sick of people trying to make it all about slavery and racisim. The fact that the NAACP is getting involved in the upcoming celebrations to protest - let alone the fact that the NAACP is even a recognized organization - is racism at its finest.

I am looking forward to the upcoming Sons of Confederate Veterans events in my town!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,012,380 times
Excerpted from Lincoln's letter to Horace Greeley;

Quote:
I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:26 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Lincoln's inaugural address:

Quote:
I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.
Quote:
That the maintenance inviolate of the rights of the States, and especially the right of each State to order and control its own domestic institutions according to its own judgment exclusively, is essential to that balance of power on which the perfection and endurance of our political fabric depend; and we denounce the lawless invasion by armed force of the soil of any State or Territory, no matter what pretext, as among the gravest of crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies