Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,350,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Governments might put up with him for awhile. Banksters won't. His life is measured in days if not hours.
He's no fool.

He's got joules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 11:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,636,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No....he pisses me off. The guy ought to be in prison. Now it seems he's wanted in Sweden for unrelated rape charges. What a nice guy.

To bad Jason Bourne isn't a real person. This would be a great job for him.
Learn to investigate. He's wanted because he didn't use a condom during consensual sex. Not using a condom in Sweden during sex is a charge of rape.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
What I want to know is if this guy can create a file code that is impossible to crack, why can't the government? If all this information is so "top secret," why wasn't it better protected?
OUR Government just announced it will be several MORE years before their computer systems are "secure".

And they want to manage the internet ???? ROFL

US works to secure networks as hackers advance - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101205/ap_on_bi_ge/us_protecting_government_computers - broken link)
"It will take several more years for the government to fully install high-tech systems to block computer intrusions, a drawn-out timeline that enables criminals to become more adept at stealing sensitive data, experts say."

Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes he is. State secrets are an important function of your government whether you like it or not.
60% were not classified.
The other 40%..have you even read the cables ?
So what that Arafat travels with a gaggle of blonde nurses.
And like we don't know that the US is worried about Iran and nuclear weapons ?
And like we don't know the situation in Afghanistan is full of greed and corruption and we're throwing billions away over there ?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I find it interesting that our government has so much to hide that a threat of releasing information has the same effect as threatening to blow up Washington.

Maybe if our leaders weren't so corrupt, they could let the American people know what they were doing without fear.
This isn't new. They tried to "neutralize" Ellsberg during the Pentagon Paper hearings and got caught but not punished. These same guys did get caught and punished for Watergate though.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,146,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
What I want to know is if this guy can create a file code that is impossible to crack, why can't the government? If all this information is so "top secret," why wasn't it better protected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The guy sure wants to die.
Precisely. The government could stop him. The media could choose not to report on him. But what do they do instead? They demonize him for telling the truth. The government doesn't want the truth to be told so it's going to make an example out of him. Tell the truth or become a whistleblower and see what happens to you.

People who tell the truth should not be punished. But the media and government didn't get the memo. If you don't see how this whole thing is being used to cause you fear, to control you, to encourage you to be just one of the sheople, then you clearly swallowed the blue pill.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,594,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No....he pisses me off. The guy ought to be in prison. Now it seems he's wanted in Sweden for unrelated rape charges. What a nice guy.

To bad Jason Bourne isn't a real person. This would be a great job for him.
In related news, now it seems that you are completely clueless and have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyone who knows ANYTHING about Assange's history knows that the thing in Sweden is, AT BEST, highly suspect. At worst, a complete smear job. By the way, he's not wanted in Sweden. There was originally a warrant out for him, but the Swedes rescinded it because they had no evidence. They still have no evidence, but the US has pressured other countries to pursue him, which has resulted in an Interpol warrant for him.

Assange is stepping on some very powerful toes, and he is to be commended for it, not lambasted by halfwits and people with ostrich syndrome. The fact that the government is going to such great lengths to try and discredit him or otherwise squelch him speaks volumes for just how corrupt it has become and how terrified they are of what other documents he might come into in the future.

This is the first time in history that there is a coordinated international effort by governments to effectively censor the public which is supposedly in charge of these governments from seeing just what it is "our" governments are doing, and it's nothing short of shameful.

The US breaks its own cybercrime laws by trying to hack his site, they put political pressure on companies like Amazon and Ebay to try and cut off Assange's ability to reach the public even though he breaks no laws, they smear campaign him at every turn....and the one thing they don't do? Apologize for their shady dealings or state that they are going to change their ways.

And then there are people like you, who just want to keep your head in the sand and to keep believing the myths you're being fed. Yeah, you're a real winner. At least Assange has the rocks to stand up to an Orwellian government, and it appears now the banking sector. What have YOU done lately?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That is a pretty simplistic vew of the situation.
Read the cables..that's what it amounts to.
There's no secret plans to invade or bomb a country.

State Department Secrets Revealed: How America Views the World - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

If it weren't for "climategate" and the leaked emails you'd be paying a pretty high utility bill right now with "crap&trade".

These cables are nothing...this is being done to prevent the NEXT leak..the one about a big US bank. That is the info they do not want leaked.

The leaks about Iraq and Afghanistan were more damaging than these leaks. These are not Pentagon leaks or CIA leaks or FBI leaks..these are Embassy leaks for pete's sake.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,594,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It makes me wonder if the government ever heard of the "Read Only" setting that private companies use all the time including my own company. In my job I have access to sensitive information that my company would rather its competitors not get. It is all "read only". I can see it on my company laptop while connected to the company network or wireless VPN but I cannot make a copy of it, print it, download it or even do "print screen" or save it to any device including my own computer. I wonder why the government cannot do likewise.
The DOD model has its own set of layers. Basically you need a certain level of clearance to even read a document, but if you have a level of clearance higher than the level needed to read the document, you have the ability to manage the document. It's always been this way.

So you've got levels such as Public, Confidential, Secret, Top Secret, and Need to Know/Eyes Only. What Assange is getting his hands on are documents labeled Secret from people with at least a Top Secret clearance level.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,549 times
Does Glenn Beck have anything to say about Assange? THAT would be interesting. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies