Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
People are not wealth.

Some are wealthier.

PS: Ct, the state with the nation's highest median income, home to the Gold Coast, hm..last I checked it is a blue state. Did they not get the memo about being conservative?
Hey income is not the only factor in a persons political views.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
And what if they just dont have the money? riddle me that one..
2nd jobs are available, and kids can work during the summer, p/t during the school year.

I paid for a large portion of my private high school tuition. I started working at age 14.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
2nd jobs are available, and kids can work during the summer, p/t during the school year.

I paid for a large portion of my private high school tuition. I started working at age 14.
And what if no one will hire them? What if their are no jobs available?

School Vouchers are a great plan that will solve many problems with the current system, after all if government run schools are sooo great, what do they have to worry about when it comes to competition?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:

We want the best education for the cost, and the private sector time and and time again blows government run schools out of the water...
Baloney. I went to private schools for 13 of the 16 grade/high school years.

They cherry-pick. My private high school admission was based on a standardized test, which lasted longer than the SATs and ACTs of the era. From 2 grade schools I attended, 15 of us took the test. 3 passed. We were also the 3 with the highest grade point averages amongst the 15.

Overall, 1,500 kids took the test. 300 were admitted.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:48 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Because it is about the individual and the results of their efforts.

I understand that, unfortunately most parents have to work, and cant always be there, and lets be honest we could be doing a far better job at education..

You can have the best parents, but if you go to a failing school at best it will cancel each other out..

We want the best education for the cost, and the private sector time and and time again blows government run schools out of the water...
So you expect teachers to do the job of parents. Failing schools are in poor neighborhoods because parents work 2 or more jobs to make ends meet. The private sector are rich

Old 05-24-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Baloney. I went to private schools for 13 of the 16 grade/high school years.

They cherry-pick. My private high school admission was based on a standardized test, which lasted longer than the SATs and ACTs of the era. From 2 grade schools I attended, 15 of us took the test. 3 passed. We were also the 3 with the highest grade point averages amongst the 15.

Overall, 1,500 kids took the test. 300 were admitted.
Some do, other will take anyone because they are motivated not only to educate but to make a profit..

What is wrong with taking the best, it is wrong for the NBA teams to take only the best players?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Some do, other will take anyone because they are motivated not only to educate but to make a profit..

What is wrong with taking the best, it is wrong for the NBA teams to take only the best players?
Nothing wrong with it, but it does mean we should not judge teachers the same at schools which cannot cherry pick.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you expect teachers to do the job of parents. Failing schools are in poor neighborhoods because parents work 2 or more jobs to make ends meet. The private sector are rich
I expect them to teach the lesson plan, and to keep order, that is it..

Why are failings schools failing?

Maybe because their cost are inflated do to waste and fraud and lack of competition.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with it, but it does mean we should not judge teachers the same at schools which cannot cherry pick.
Exactly. I actually think schools that cherry pick are great. I believe this would help close the gap in minority areas where being smart is seen as a negative at many schools. The smart minority kids need their own self contained environment. However as you point out we can't blame or sanction the teachers at the schools without the smart achievers as a result, that is unfair.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:39 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Sure we can, if schools refuse to group classes by skill/ability level, and then cater the most to the struggling students in the classes. That drags down the academic achievement of everyone else.

We've known that for decades, yet schools still do it. The result: only 1/3 of our country's public school students are adequately educated to grade-level proficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies