Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 02:50 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Only due to certain areas, like NYC. Look at the map:
What's the point? So What? This is how politics work. If everything worked as you say, a republican would never get elected anywhere. I just don't understand how you can take sides and lay blame so squarely on democrats for education or anything else for that matter. What's the great plan the republicans are pushing? How many times in the past have they been in power? What's changed? I'm not seeing it.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 PM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
What's the point? So What? This is how politics work. If everything worked as you say, a republican would never get elected anywhere.
That's my point. Republicans get elected when there aren't a large amount of city poor to overwhelm the votes. That's why Texas is red, and New York and Illinois are blue. The latter two's large cities overwhelm the rest of the states' votes. That doesn't happen in Texas.
Quote:
I just don't understand how you can take sides and lay blame so squarely on democrats for education or anything else for that matter.
Seriously? Let's let minorities speak for themselves...
Quote:
"Pro-voucher voters among racial minorities overwhelmingly support Barack Obama, but they are baffled by the Democratic nominee's opposition to vouchers. They also say they are frustrated that Democratic leaders appear to be more concerned about keeping the peace with teachers unions -- which adamantly oppose vouchers -- than about finding alternatives that could advance desperately needed education reforms for minority students.

...Public opinion polls also show solid support for school vouchers among minority parents. Sixty-five percent of adult African-Americans and 63 percent of adult Hispanics favor the use of vouchers, according to a national survey conducted earlier this year under the auspices of the journal Education Next and the Program on Education Policy and Governance at Harvard University. In the survey, more than half of minority adults gave higher marks to their local police than their public schools.

"There is no doubt that on this issue, ...Obama has it wrong," Martin wrote."
Education Reform - Obama Questioned On Vouchers

Obama, Dems wrong to kill school vouchers - CNN.com

One of these days, minorities will have had enough, and stop voting against their own best interest.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Look at the largest city and its poverty rate.

Newark: 28%

Furthermore...
Poverty in N.J. reaches 52-year high, new report shows | NJ.com
Try and stick to one source for stats. Reporters and social agencies are notorious for "bending" statistics.
The US Census pegs it at 9.9% 2008-2012

Old 05-29-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Try and stick to one source for stats. Reporters and social agencies are notorious for "bending" statistics.
Poverty and poor aren't the same. One can earn slightly above the poverty level and still be poor. To wit: Obamacare provides premium subsidies to those earning up to 400% of the federal poverty level.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
That's my point. Republicans get elected when there aren't a large amount of city poor to overwhelm the votes. That's why Texas is red, and New York and Illinois are blue. The latter two's large cities overwhelm the rest of the states' votes. That doesn't happen in Texas.
Seriously? Let's let minorities speak for themselves...Education Reform - Obama Questioned On Vouchers

Obama, Dems wrong to kill school vouchers - CNN.com

One of these days, minorities will have had enough, and stop voting against their own best interest.
Oh please. Should I take the time to post at least a hundred links that show how the republicans are gutting education? You really need to take 90% of the junk you read with a grain of salt. Politics is pure Madison Ave. these days. They're selling ice to Eskimos.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Poverty and poor aren't the same. One can earn slightly above the poverty level and still be poor. To wit: Obamacare provides premium subsidies to those earning up to 400% of the federal poverty level.
Then I'm enjoying my poor retirement in Florida. Get real.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Oh please. Should I take the time to post at least a hundred links that show how the republicans are gutting education?
Gutting education? We spend the most.
U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News

Question for you... why do you so adamantly defend the status quo? It's a miserable failure, both for minorities AND for the country as a whole. We spend the most, but by 8th grade, our country's public schools are educating only 1/3 of all students to grade-level proficiency (NAEP). 2/3 are functioning below grade-level proficiency. That's what we have to show for spending all that money. Clearly, it's an issue of systemic failure.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Gutting education? We spend the most.
U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News

Question for you... why do you so adamantly defend the status quo? It's a miserable failure, both for minorities AND for the country as a whole. We spend the most, but by 8th grade, our country's public schools are educating only 1/3 of all students to grade-level proficiency (NAEP). 2/3 are functioning below grade-level proficiency. That's what we have to show for spending all that money. Clearly, it's an issue of systemic failure.
Do me a favor and google "republicans want to cut education spending". I think there most certainly needs to be change. But I think the change should keep schools public. I could go so far as to say vouchers are a political tool to try and woo minorities to the dark side. Not to mention there's money to be made. But I won't go there... Our schools face more than just economic and procedural difficulties. When you start to compare them to schools of other cultures and nations, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Do me a favor and google "republicans want to cut education spending".
We already spend the most with abysmal results. Maintaining the status quo is unacceptable. Changes need to be made. The dysfunctional public school education bureaucracy has to go.
Quote:
I think there most certainly needs to be change. But I think the change should keep schools public.
We have decades of data indicating that continuing to trap kids in public schools will have further negative results.
Quote:
I could go so far as to say vouchers are a political tool to try and woo minorities to the dark side.
How is helping them escape poverty "the dark side?"

Oh, yeah, middle class and higher-income earners are more likely to vote Republican. Can't have that. Have to keep 'em dumb and poor.
Quote:
Not to mention there's money to be made. But I won't go there...
Actually, please do. Explain why we spend the more than any other OECD country, but get abysmal results. Keep in mind that public education as it currently exists generates HUGE profits for textbook publishers, packaged curricula companies, education consultants running teacher workshops, testing companies, etc.

The K-12 Ed-Tech market, alone, is estimated at $7.5 billion. EVERYONE along the way reaps a profit.

PreK-12 Ed-Tech Market Estimated at $7.5 Billion - Digital Education - Education Week

Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,962 times
So you're saying poverty in rate in New Jersey, the richest state in the nation is 20% and not the official 6.8%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_poverty_rate
For the sake of argument let's assume that it is in fact 20%...
How can 20% of population make the state vote blue, if the remaining 80% of population of the state voted red? Rotfl
Either you don't understand fractions or simply lack the cranial capacity for reasoning.

Quote:
Look at the largest city and its poverty rate.

Newark: 28%

Furthermore...
Poverty in N.J. reaches 52-year high, new report shows | NJ.com

Last edited by Rapaport; 05-29-2014 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies