Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 740,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's my point. Republicans get elected when there aren't a large amount of city poor to overwhelm the votes. That's why Texas is red, and New York and Illinois are blue.
Bud, are you crazy? There is a higher percentage of poor people in Texas - 16.2% than in New York - 14.5%
There is no "large amount of city poor" to overwhelm the votes in New York's state, that's mathematically impossible... Are all southerners as thick as this guy? ROTFL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_poverty_rate

Last edited by Rapaport; 05-29-2014 at 05:19 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

The truth is, that silly notion that the liberal states are better only holds true when the demograpics lower the minority populations.
The same pattern emerges EVERY SINGLE TIME

Scores from highest to lowest:

Asian, White, Hispanic, Black
The gap between Asian and White is very small.
The gap is huge between White and Hispanic.
The gap is small between Hispanic and Black.

With less Asian and White students the scores will drop dramatically.

And every state produces these demographic breakdowns.
Rarely do MSM produce them in their articles.

The country is changing demographically and the test scores reflect that change.

I'm sure you've read the DC test scores and how abysmal they were.
Well from the demographic breakdown ..91% of the White students passed.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 05-29-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
My point was that poor Northerners are not moving down here to escape the cost of the North. (I live in the fasted growing county in the State of Alabama,and I work in retail. Any young person who moves down here is moving down here because they nowhave a 50 or 60,000 dollar a year job at Austal, Ingals, or Northrup Grummen, not because it is cheaper to live here than it is to live up north. I have never met a single person who moved down here for the reasons you claimed.
Alabama isn't much of a magnet. People are most definitely moving to the South because it's cheaper among other reasons.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,002,815 times
Quote:
We already spend the most with abysmal results. Maintaining the status quo is unacceptable. Changes need to be made. The dysfunctional public school education bureaucracy has to go.
We have decades of data indicating that continuing to trap kids in public schools will have further negative results. How is helping them escape poverty "the dark side?"

Oh, yeah, middle class and higher-income earners are more likely to vote Republican. Can't have that. Have to keep 'em dumb and poor.
Actually, please do. Explain why we spend the more than any other OECD country, but get abysmal results. Keep in mind that public education as it currently exists generates HUGE profits for textbook publishers, packaged curricula companies, education consultants running teacher workshops, testing companies, etc.

The K-12 Ed-Tech market, alone, is estimated at $7.5 billion. EVERYONE along the way reaps a profit.

PreK-12 Ed-Tech Market Estimated at $7.5 Billion - Digital Education - Education Week
What part don't you understand? I said changes need to be made. I don't believe "vouchers" are the answer. When I said "dark side" I was being facetious, but like most overly self important conservatives, you obviously don't have a sense of humor. And for the last time, I don't think anyone seriously thinks the dems are trying to keep anyone dumb and poor, well with the exception of you and Glenn Beck. As for us spending more than other countries, try looking at it as percentage of GDP. You can't compare a country that pays it's teachers half as much as we do. I think with the exception of some Asian nations, such as Japan, most of the highly rated Nations spend an equal or greater percentage of their GDP than us. Most of the highly rated nations also have a more homogenous population than we do. You'd have to start changing the way adults think before you'll see a significant change with the kids. And as for profits, what good will it do to add schools turning a profit for investors?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Bud, are you crazy? There is a higher percentage of poor people in Texas - 16.2% than in New York - 14.5%
In Texas, 1.7 million are illegal aliens who can't vote.
Quote:
There is no "large amount of city poor" to overwhelm the votes in New York's state, that's mathematically impossible...
No, it isn't. 87.87% of New York State's population lives in urban areas, where the poverty rate is highest. Latest data I have found so far is that in New York state, the urban poverty rate is 15.4%, while the rural poverty rate is only 8.7%.
http://cardi.cornell.edu/cals/devsoc...&PageID=214205

It's basic math.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
What part don't you understand? I said changes need to be made. I don't believe "vouchers" are the answer. When I said "dark side" I was being facetious, but like most overly self important conservatives, you obviously don't have a sense of humor.
Pardon me for not thinking that the deliberate under-education of Blacks and Hispanics in our country is humorous.
Quote:
And for the last time, I don't think anyone seriously thinks the dems are trying to keep anyone dumb and poor
Democrats insist on keeping Black and Hispanic children trapped in their abysmally performing public schools against their parent's will. What would you call that?

Remember, 2/3 of Black and Hispanic adults support vouchers.

Quote:
As for us spending more than other countries, try looking at it as percentage of GDP. You can't compare a country that pays it's teachers half as much as we do. I think with the exception of some Asian nations, such as Japan, most of the highly rated Nations spend an equal or greater percentage of their GDP than us.
We're not that far off:

"As a share of its economy, the United States spent more than the average country in the survey. In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other OECD countries. Denmark topped the list on that measure with 8 percent of its gross domestic product going toward education."
U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News

Quote:
Most of the highly rated nations also have a more homogenous population than we do. You'd have to start changing the way adults think before you'll see a significant change with the kids.
You do realize that the abysmally performing minority majority public schools ARE more homogeneous, no?

Quote:
And as for profits, what good will it do to add schools turning a profit for investors?
Public schools already turn a profit for investors in the education industry: textbook publishers, packaged curricula companies, education consultants running teacher workshops, testing companies, etc.

The K-12 Ed-Tech market, alone, is estimated at $7.5 billion. EVERYONE along the way reaps a profit.

PreK-12 Ed-Tech Market Estimated at $7.5 Billion - Digital Education - Education Week

Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,002,815 times
Quote:
Pardon me for not thinking that the deliberate under-education of Blacks and Hispanics in our country is humorous.
Democrats insist on keeping Black and Hispanic children trapped in their abysmally performing public schools against their parent's will. What would you call that?

Remember, 2/3 of Black and Hispanic adults support vouchers.

We're not that far off:

"As a share of its economy, the United States spent more than the average country in the survey. In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other OECD countries. Denmark topped the list on that measure with 8 percent of its gross domestic product going toward education."
U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows - CBS News

You do realize that the abysmally performing minority majority public schools ARE more homogeneous, no?

Public schools already turn a profit for investors in the education industry: textbook publishers, packaged curricula companies, education consultants running teacher workshops, testing companies, etc.

You just keep repeating the same mantra over and over. It's obvious you have this sorted out in your mind. I applaud your single mindedness. I admit I'm skeptical about any easy fix for our education system and wish you luck with your "magic pill". I on the other hand believe that it's going to take a lot more than that. I particularly like your take on homogenous societies. Please tell me how inner city schools resemble the population of Japan. School suppliers are in a business that requires a profit. I'm talking about the school itself. Please answer the specific question.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
You just keep repeating the same mantra over and over. It's obvious you have this sorted out in your mind.
I've been a Student Education Advocate for decades. I know of which I speak.
Quote:
I particularly like your take on homogenous societies. Please tell me how inner city schools resemble the population of Japan.
They both are racially and ethnically homogeneous.
Quote:
School suppliers are in a business that requires a profit. I'm talking about the school itself. Please answer the specific question.
A private school is not going to be profitable if it is so bad that it cannot attract students. Likewise, a private school will not stay in business if the tuition exceeds students' ability to pay with vouchers.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 AM

1,070 posts, read 740,137 times
Quote:
In Texas, 1.7 million are illegal aliens who can't vote.
And?

Quote:
No, it isn't. 87.87% of New York State's population lives in urban areas, where the poverty rate is highest. Latest data I have found so far is that in New York state, the urban poverty rate is 15.4%, while the rural poverty rate is only 8.7%.
Again, explain to me how is that mathematically possible for the poor minority in New York State, just about 15.4%, to make the entire 20 million state vote blue? ROTLF

Is 15.4% of vote more important than remaining 84.6% of vote?

What you peddle here is nonsense and total disregard for logic and math. Logic is not a conservative value. Lol

Quote:
Yes it is basic math yet you can't grasp it. Lol

Old 05-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
And?
Illegal aliens are very likely to be poor. Their U.S. born children receive public assistance benefits but the illegal adults can't vote. 58% of illegal households collect some form of public assistance in Texas.
Immigrants in the United States: A Profile of America's Foreign-Born Population | Center for Immigration Studies

Quote:
Again, explain to me how is that mathematically possible for the poor minority in New York State, just about 15.4%, to make the entire 20 million state vote blue?
As I already stated, 87.87% of that 20 million live in urban areas, where the poverty rate is about twice as high as that in rural areas.

Given that, why do blue states have such high rates of poverty in their cities? They sure seem to be dropping the ball on lifting anyone out of poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies