Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times

Advertisements

The best news we have heard in a long time down in these parts!! Yes, our beaches will be open, clean, safe and FREE of OIL RIGS!! Finally he got something RIGHT!!

Obama rejects drilling in eastern Gulf of Mexico - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101202/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_drilling - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Sorry Kev, as with just about everything else with this regime what you to think is right is nothing more but standard double talk smoke and mirrors.

One thing you do not nor will not find in the standard media is this regimes subsidy to the tune of 2+ Billion dollars to Petrobras. This "was" a failing "state owned" Brazilian oil company who teamed up with with this administration.

We have surrendered our drilling but have given the rights to them. So not just in Brazil you will find a foreign oil company coming to a beach near you. The only difference is Brazil does NOT have to follow the same rules and regulations as domestic companies do. Rather similiar to US companies following Sarbanes whereas a alien company does not from an accounting standpoint.

So all in all the surrogate son of Jimmy Carter and nephew of Shirley Franklin is doing just fine with his policies.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Sorry Kev, as with just about everything else with this regime what you to think is right is nothing more but standard double talk smoke and mirrors.

One thing you do not nor will not find in the standard media is this regimes subsidy to the tune of 2+ Billion dollars to Petrobras. This "was" a failing "state owned" Brazilian oil company who teamed up with with this administration.

We have surrendered our drilling but have given the rights to them. So not just in Brazil you will find a foreign oil company coming to a beach near you. The only difference is Brazil does NOT have to follow the same rules and regulations as domestic companies do. Rather similiar to US companies following Sarbanes whereas a alien company does not from an accounting standpoint.

So all in all the surrogate son of Jimmy Carter and nephew of Shirley Franklin is doing just fine with his policies.
This.

I am very weary of this "decision" of the Obama administration.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they aren't allowed to drill offshore, but I do think Obama has an ulterior motive for this.

His credibility for me has fallen so far off a cliff it'll be a miracle if he ever regains it.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:

Source?

I ask because I remember their was a big hubbub about the Chinese drilling off the coast in an agreement with Cuba that turned out to be a pack of lies. Ever since I have been skeptical about stories involving foreigners drilling off our coasts. Especially considering the federal government tends to regulate foreign companies drilling in US waters.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
These days i don't put stock in anything Obama does, he does with a reason, part of the agenda.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Without having researched this much, the skeptic in me has to question whether this move is just smoke and mirrors to appease his far left base that has been pretty apathetic towards Obama as of late. And, this will all mean nothing if foreign countries/corps are still allowed to drill. The only thing this will do is ensure that more of our jobs get offshored (pardon the pun).

Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Agree with cj, you can't trust anything obama says or does in public. He is the most two faced president we have ever had.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Agree with cj, you can't trust anything obama says or does in public. He is the most two faced president we have ever had.
Yes he is.

I compared him earlier to a popular high schooler who's nice to your face and then stabs you in the back when your not looking.

And this is our President!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Source?

I ask because I remember their was a big hubbub about the Chinese drilling off the coast in an agreement with Cuba that turned out to be a pack of lies. Ever since I have been skeptical about stories involving foreigners drilling off our coasts. Especially considering the federal government tends to regulate foreign companies drilling in US waters.
Cuba has some special rights that would allow exploration about 45 miles from Key West. Nothing has been signed though and no deals made with other countries. But..it is there and something to keep in mind should it happen.

Drilling off Cuba could be sticky proposition

Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:

The 2+ Billion is a loan issued by the ExIm Bank by Bush appointees to promote U.S exports to the Brazilian Oil industry for field off the coast of Brazil.

Ex-Im Bank :: Facts About the Proposed Ex-Im Bank Loans for Petrobras' Brazilian Offshore Oil Exploration and Development

Fact: The Bank's bipartisan Board unanimously approved the preliminary commitment to Petrobras on April 14, 2009, before any Obama appointees joined the Bank. In fact, at the time the Bank's Board consisted of three Republicans and two Democrats, all of whom were appointed by George W. Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies