Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Why do we have to be defined by being either rich or poor. I feel that most People if given the opportunity, or a million dollars free on a silver platter, they will take it. No one truly wants to be poor, but in this Country we do have choices, and some do choose to live the poor lifestyle. Their are those who have lost a job, and on down on their luck, and some who got ill, or maybe lost a home, i have empathy for all of those people.

I don't have sympathy for those People who feel that we owe them, without them ever lifting a finger, i have no respect for them. I cannot stand People who say, we took from them, therfore we owe them, cowardly way to think.

But as we can plainly see, with Hollywood Celebrities, and Music Icons, Money still does not buy you Happiness. It helps yes, with paying the bills, and buying those things you have always wanted. What it does not buy you, is Complete Happiness from the Soul.

I say just as long as we each wake up each morning, their is nothing we cannot conquer, when we put on mind to it.
I feel the same about people who didn't earn it, like some former presidents.

Entitlements work both ways, some get it from the government some get it from Mommy and Daddy. Funny thing is, both think they should be handed money (entitled) and neither have accomplished anything significant in their lives before they got it.

Of course I'd rather be rich.... But then again I would of had to pay attention in middle and highschool. I make decent money, under $100,000 and over $60,000 and believe me if someone with my limited brain capacity can make decent money anyone can.

Last edited by James420; 12-03-2010 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 07:15 AM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
How about just happy??? Happy with myself and what I have - poor, rich, middle class...whatever - just happy with my lot in life and not wanting to take from anyone else and not to be bitter because someone may have more than me.
Ditto here. I am free from want and have a bit extra. I own a few things that I use and enjoy, such as musical instruments, cameras, and fishing tackle, but I can honestly say my possessions don't own me. My family is happy and healthy, so everything is OK.

More money would not make me any happier.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:17 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Ditto here. I am free from want and have a bit extra. I own a few things that I use and enjoy, such as musical instruments, cameras, and fishing tackle, but I can honestly say my possessions don't own me. My family is happy and healthy, so everything is OK.

More money would not make me any happier.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Who wouldn't want to be rich? The richer the better

Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Who wouldn't want to be rich? The richer the better
I have known a half dozen people who had somewhere between 10 and 80 million dollars each, and they were not at all happy people, none of them.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:34 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Quote:
I have known a half dozen people who had somewhere between 10 and 80 million dollars each, and they were not at all happy people, none of them.
I would "enjoy" my unhappiness more with 80 million bucks to my name than with 80 bucks.

I'd rather be rich.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:35 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrader101 View Post
Hello,

In this country, if you had a choice would you rather be poor, middle class, upper middle class, or rich?

Or to put it differently, would you rather be a poor person in a low income neighborhood, an ordinary middle class person, a middle class person with some affluence in an upper middle class neighborhood, or a millionaire in a mansion?

Of these four levels of society, which one do you think is best for you and which one do you think is most fulfilling?

Thanks,
I'd rather aspire for excellence and earn a living honestly. None are possible in crony capitalist system that protects status quo domination at the expense of liberty.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:36 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrader101 View Post
Hello,

In this country, if you had a choice would you rather be poor, middle class, upper middle class, or rich?

Or to put it differently, would you rather be a poor person in a low income neighborhood, an ordinary middle class person, a middle class person with some affluence in an upper middle class neighborhood, or a millionaire in a mansion?

Of these four levels of society, which one do you think is best for you and which one do you think is most fulfilling?

Thanks,
I guess if any I would choose (even though I don't agree with this question AT ALL), to be middle class. Just to have enough money to feed the family and have a roof over our head but not too much to get killed over.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Can you imagine how unhappy they would be if they were 10 mil in the hole

Old 12-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't think having a million is considered rich these days...I have well over that, and just consider myself financially secure...No mansion either just an ordinary bungalow in a middle class neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Stop lying Sanspeur!! I don't believe you!! What is a millionaire doing on City-Data?!!
I don't believe ANYTHING about the personal finances of CD members...especially when it's written by that member. That being said, I agree with sanspeur that a net worth of $1 isn't "rich" and you'd probably be surprised a the number of millionaires you come in contact with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies