Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:29 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,760,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Happy Holidays just means merry christmas and a happy new year.
And, depending on when you start using it, it also includes Solstice, Yule, Channuka and Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 04:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,193,293 times
I can't believe it!

Yesterday I sneezed and someone said, "God bless you!"

WAHHHH wahhhhh!!! They KNOWINGLY insulted me since they know I'm an atheist! Wahhhhh! BooHoo!!!

Wahhhh!

I am so TRAUMATIZED!!!
I don't get no respect!

They should be FORCED to say , "I hope you're not coming down with a cold"... I demand it...

But no, they're trying to take away my pleasure in a good sneeze! How dare they! WAHHHHHH!!!!

In imitation of weak-faithed christians I am throwing myself on the floor, kicking my feet and holding my breath until I turn blue.....

Oh, and MERRY Xmas!

Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Lol. You know why they chose the letter X, and not the letter Y or Z? Because X looks like a cross. Like Jesus Christ hanging on the cross.

I don't see how "Xmas" takes the "Christ" out of "Christmas." I'd agree with you if it were Ymas or Zmas, but it's Xmas for that very reason.
Interesting, but not quite accurate. See my other post (post 50) for what it means.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,355,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Happy Holidays just means merry christmas and a happy new year.
Be specific!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8jw-...eature=related

Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,812,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Edge View Post
That's a very good point.

If I went to Israel and someone told me "Happy Hanukkah", I would not be offended BECAUSE it's a majority Jewish country, so we have to fallow what the country is.

BUT in America, which has by far the most Christian population in the the world, and one of the most religious, and with only less than 2% Jewish & 1% Muslims, still do not greet Merry Christmas. This is ridiculous!

I know people say "Happy Holidays" because of the Jews!
Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After Christianity, no religion is the second most popular, followed by Judaism, followed by all others. I'd rather not force anyone into anything. That wouldn't be Christian.
I have friends of many denominations, friends in other faiths, and friends who are atheist. I'll invite atheists to Christmas dinner and will not be offended if they decline. Often they don't, however, especially if they know someone else did the cooking.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,737,150 times
The US is not that religious. Christmas is not really a religious holiday here anymore, other than certain small groups and the Deep South. Outside of that, most people are not religious and that goes for all religions.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,326,104 times
Merry Christmas to ALL

Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Glad you have an understanding of Greek.

The vast majority of folks that use "Xmas" instead of "Christmas" are just avowing that they don't want Christ associated with their holiday and/or to keep the connotation of religion/faith toned down. That's why most people say Merry Xmas...not because they are celebrating the X (chi) as the official syntachtical representation alluding to Jesus Christ.
Oh really? You have a link to something that 'proves' that, do you? And, btw, did you know that Xmas was used in advertising and on Christmas cards as far back as the 19th century? That I can't prove, but I've seen the actual cards in a collection someone had.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,951,698 times
Say "Merry Christmas" to your known Christian friends, and leave the rest of the country out of your religion.

I guess the idea of religious freedom has been lost on you.

America is not a Christian country, as much as you might think it is or want it to be.

It is very disrespectful to people of other worldviews to insist on foisting your personal religious viewpoints on other people. Why can't you just enjoy your holidays and leave the public, at large out of your personal belief system?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,951,698 times
"Xmas" references Christ by use of the cross in the "x."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies