Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,092,582 times

Advertisements

it's simple, when I run low on money, I spend less or cut somewhere. Maybe the government could try it too. The more they get the more they spend. Cut their wages, benefits, departments and people. Maybe 10% across the board...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,167,285 times
Reagan’s budget director David Stockman on why taxes on the wealthy must be increased

Stockman, for those of you who don’t plan to watch the video, is of the opinion that our Republicans leaders of today, when they invoke lessons of the Reagan administration as a way of defending tax cuts for the rich, don’t really know what they’re talking about. Reagan, in his opinion, never would have suggested that tax cuts alone could eliminate a deficit. Here’s a quote from Stockman, who feels as though we need “a higher tax burden on the upper income”:

“I’ll never forgive the Bush administration and Paulson for basically destroying the last vestige of fiscal responsibility that we had in the Republican Party. After that, I don’t know how we ever make the tough choices.”

Reagan’s budget director David Stockman on why taxes on the wealthy must be increased

Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,866,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Stockman, for those of you who don’t plan to watch the video, is of the opinion that our Republicans leaders of today, when they invoke lessons of the Reagan administration as a way of defending tax cuts for the rich, don’t really know what they’re talking about. Reagan, in his opinion, never would have suggested that tax cuts alone could eliminate a deficit. Here’s a quote from Stockman, who feels as though we need “a higher tax burden on the upper income”:

“I’ll never forgive the Bush administration and Paulson for basically destroying the last vestige of fiscal responsibility that we had in the Republican Party. After that, I don’t know how we ever make the tough choices.”

You clearly can't handle this discussion on your own, why don't you stop copying and pasting from your little blog sources and speak for yourself?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,026,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Saying that a tax cut is "unpaid" is pure liberal idiot thinking, a tax cut means you'll have less to spend so you should spend less. Anyone with a check book knows that less in means less out. These tax cuts don't need to be paid for, they need to be matched with spending cuts.
Just this week a local talk radio host was calling them, "unfunded tax cuts". I never did figure out how you "fund" a tax cut.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,866,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Just this week a local talk radio host was calling them, "unfunded tax cuts". I never did figure out how you "fund" a tax cut.
It's easy really, when you think like a mentally unstable liberal politician you believe that tax payer's money all belongs to the government and it's their job to spend it as they see fit. It's our job to fund their projects even if we don't want them, they really believe they know what's best for us because according to them we aren't smart enough to handle money on our own... doesn't that sound a lot like the insane liberals here who claim that we aren't smart enough to vote if we don't like they want us to?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,804,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Gee, imagine that. The stupid primate of a president that could barely tie his own shoes to hear it from most liberals is still outmaneuvering the Democrats two years after he left office.

Bush didn't set the trap, the Democrats in the Senate did by demanding a sunset law in order to pass any tax cuts. If Dubya had his way, the current tax rates would have been permanent until otherwise acted on by Congress. So it's only fitting that it's an anchor around their own neck circa 2010.
This would be the intrinsic sickness of GOP thinking in sensaround sound. America exists to serve your agenda, no matter if America itself becomes collateral damage. No amount of long term damage from reckless deregulation could ever be your responsibility. The new definition of manhood- take all the credit for the good, and pass the blame to all others. The company fails, blame the employees. Your kids hate you, blame your wife.

I've got to hand it to Ayn Rand. She really did put your head up your behind pretty far. Taking lady liberty hostage, now the gloves are off.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,342,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
This would be the intrinsic sickness of GOP thinking in sensaround sound. America exists to serve your agenda, no matter if America itself becomes collateral damage. No amount of long term damage from reckless deregulation could ever be your responsibility. The new definition of manhood- take all the credit for the good, and pass the blame to all others. The company fails, blame the employees. Your kids hate you, blame your wife.

I've got to hand it to Ayn Rand. She really did put your head up your behind pretty far. Taking lady liberty hostage, now the gloves are off.
What the hell are you talking about?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:42 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,520,826 times
Quote:
Gee, imagine that. The stupid primate of a president that could barely tie his own shoes to hear it from most liberals is still outmaneuvering the Democrats two years after he left office.
A broken clock is correct twice a day. And with Dr Strangelove Cheney and DoughBoy Rove in the mix, who knows?

Quote:
Bush didn't set the trap, the Democrats in the Senate did by demanding a sunset law in order to pass any tax cuts. If Dubya had his way, the current tax rates would have been permanent until otherwise acted on by Congress. So it's only fitting that it's an anchor around their own neck circa 2010.
I'd say what he did is akin to what management that signs bad labor contracts does. They know the long term costs may harm their companies but they also know they'll be comfortably retired on their bloated pensions when that happens.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,342,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A broken clock is correct twice a day. And with Dr Strangelove Cheney and DoughBoy Rove in the mix, who knows?

I'd say what he did is akin to what management that signs bad labor contracts does. They know the long term costs may harm their companies but they also know they'll be comfortably retired on their bloated pensions when that happens.
Yes, of course, the Machiavellian geniuses who really ran the Bush administration knew that they'd be hamstringing a future Democratic Congress and Democratic administration. And of course, doing so was their aim -- they were just that bloody clever. In fact they were so clever that they recruited the opposition party to assist in their own hanging. I feel sorry for anyone who hoped such a dimwitted party would competently represent their interests in Washington.

And don't talk to me about "long term costs" after the outrageous deficits and mandatory spending this administration has rammed through.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,230,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Well since you determined that they need to stay that way, I suppose that settles it. BTW...the monetary value of the cuts are unpaid for and big ass burden on the country.
There you go, running out of someone else's money. Congress and spending is the burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies