Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Call it the revenge of George W. Bush: The GOP's temporary tax cut has exploded nine years later, forcing Democrats to duck and cover. Howard Kurtz talks to the Bush aides behind the plot.

“We knew that, politically, once you get it into law, it becomes almost impossible to remove it,” says Dan Bartlett, Bush’s former communications director. “That’s not a bad legacy. The fact that we were able to lay the trap does feel pretty good, to tell you the truth.”
Tax Cut Extension: The GOP

This whole tax cut fiasco is a very clever trap laid during the George Bush administration. Wow. I just realized I used the term “clever” in the same sentence as “George Bush.” But it’s true. Dan Bartlett, Bush’s former communications director, said of the tax cut policy “politically, once you get it into law, it becomes almost impossible to remove it.” It won’t go away. Great. Bush’s tax cuts are the herpes of fiscal policy.
-Randi Rhodes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
In another 20 years Democrats still won't be able to take a **** without blaming GWB. You won on a platform of hope and change claiming that you could fix everything. You gave people no hope, no change and you haven't fixed anything and now you have the nerve to blame someone else? Stop being so pathetic and take responsibility for the mess that you've made worse or get out of the way and let someone else fix it.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
I don't think the Op, or most liberals for that matter, realize the monetary value of the tax cuts DO NOT belong to the government. The cuts ARE the status quo, the level of taxes we've had for 10 years. They need to stay that way.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
In another 20 years Democrats still won't be able to take a **** without blaming GWB. You won on a platform of hope and change claiming that you could fix everything. You gave people no hope, no change and you haven't fixed anything a now you have the nerve to blame someone else? Stop being so pathetic and take responsibility for the mess that you've made worse or get out of the way and let someone else fix it.
Are you having problems with reading comprehension? The are called The Bush Tax Cuts for a reason and the article is an admission of how they were set up by his administration as a trap. Please tell me who you are depending on to "fix" things. I'd really love to know the specifics.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Gee, imagine that. The stupid primate of a president that could barely tie his own shoes to hear it from most liberals is still outmaneuvering the Democrats two years after he left office.

Bush didn't set the trap, the Democrats in the Senate did by demanding a sunset law in order to pass any tax cuts. If Dubya had his way, the current tax rates would have been permanent until otherwise acted on by Congress. So it's only fitting that it's an anchor around their own neck circa 2010.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I don't think the Op, or most liberals for that matter, realize the monetary value of the tax cuts DO NOT belong to the government. The cuts ARE the status quo, the level of taxes we've had for 10 years. They need to stay that way.
Well since you determined that they need to stay that way, I suppose that settles it. BTW...the monetary value of the cuts are unpaid for and big ass burden on the country.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Are you having problems with reading comprehension? The are called The Bush Tax Cuts for a reason and the article is an admission of how they were set up by his administration as a trap. Please tell me who you are depending on to "fix" things. I'd really love to know the specifics.
Only a liberal could twist a tax cut for EVERYONE into a "trap". Apparently to most ignorant human being on the planet set a trap 10 years ago for an entire political party and they still stepped right into it without a way to fix it or get around it. Obama was elected in 2008, I'm pretty sure he was aware of the tax cuts when he ran for POTUS, shouldn't he have thought about this before now? He's supposed to be the most brilliant man that has ever walked the streets of Washington DC yet GEORGE W BUSH outsmarted him?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Well since you determined that they need to stay that way, I suppose that settles it. BTW...the monetary value of the cuts are unpaid for and big ass burden on the country.
Saying that a tax cut is "unpaid" is pure liberal idiot thinking, a tax cut means you'll have less to spend so you should spend less. Anyone with a check book knows that less in means less out. These tax cuts don't need to be paid for, they need to be matched with spending cuts.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,653 times
last time I looked, it takes three branches of the federal government to pass any laws for taxes. And George didn't do the tax thing or spending by himself. I think the dems were in control of congress for awhile. Unless your barry o, he just has a department pass a regulation fee.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Bush didn't set the trap, the Democrats in the Senate did by demanding a sunset law in order to pass any tax cuts. If Dubya had his way, the current tax rates would have been permanent until otherwise acted on by Congress. So it's only fitting that it's an anchor around their own neck circa 2010.
BAM! That has to sting don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies