Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That would have defeated the point of the show, which is totally designed
to keep the attention on Ms. Wasilly.
Exactly.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Exactly.
Well...yeah!

It IS her show after all. There is NO other figure that could draw that kind of audience.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Sanrene, my point is is that the ex gov. made statements about how this is how Alaskans fill their freezers, and the hunt that she went on was not at all reflective of the reality of people's lives there.
They hunt to fill their freezers, why yes indeed they DO. The point she was making is that people HUNT, not HOW they hunt.

I'm quite sure not every hunter has a TV with a camera following them around - you're right about that.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 PM

It's my understanding that her audience has been dwindling. Perhaps if the show weren't such a bore that wouldn't be the case.

Dinner tonight was fantastic, by the way. Made wild sockeye salmon that didn't cost me a dime. That's how we really do it.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They hunt to fill their freezers, why yes indeed they DO. The point she was making is that people HUNT, not HOW they hunt.

I'm quite sure not every hunter has a TV with a camera following them around - you're right about that.
She's built an entire false image based on how she and Todd are "real people" and a lot of you out there buy it.

It would have been easy to have had the show portray a more realistic view of how people fill their freezers, but then Chuck Heath would have stolen the show.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
It's my understanding that her audience has been dwindling. Perhaps if the show weren't such a bore that wouldn't be the case.

Dinner tonight was fantastic, by the way. Made wild sockeye salmon that didn't cost me a dime. That's how we really do it.
Yeah, I'm sure you know the Palin's have never, ever hunted or fished just how you do it.

Well, the debut broke ALL records of course, which must have really hurt those that despise Palin.

The second show dropped and the third show went back up, I think close to 4 million.

Not too bad, I'd say.

I can just see some on the Left, watching her show, with gritted teeth, focusing like a laser beam on any little thing they think might hurt Palin.

So, did they gut the beast right there on TV?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well...yeah!

It IS her show after all. There is NO other figure that could draw that kind of audience.
Please, Lawrence Welk reruns are getting better numbers than her show.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
She's built an entire false image based on how she and Todd are "real people" and a lot of you out there buy it.

It would have been easy to have had the show portray a more realistic view of how people fill their freezers, but then Chuck Heath would have stolen the show.
You mean hunting with her father or other family members is not a realistic view of Alaskan hunting?

Oh, do tell.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Some get stranded. Years ago, the state had a "traveller's aid" program which supplied return tickets to those who came up and couldn't find work and needed to go back to wherever home was.

Lately there have been a lot of people coming up wanting to get into commercial fishing, probably because of the TV show "Deadiest Catch".

When this happens in small communities, crime does increase. Most of them, though, can usually find some kind of cannery work to get them back home.

We had a kid show up stranded and just happened to need some extra help for a week or so. He turned out to be such a good worker we wished he could have stayed on, but he was anxious to get back to Washington State.
You may have never been to NY but hard as it may be to believe NY and Alaska share something in common. The native born in NY are outnumbered by visitors, employees residing elsewhere, and hail from another origin. I had neighbors from Kentucky, coworkers from Georgia, and classmates from California. NYC in particular draws creative minded folks from all over the country, and all over the world. We adapted, but it wasn't easy, and some of the culture is gone for good I fear.
WV has a similar challenge with so many passing through. How to honor the past and still keep the soil fertile ground for new growth. The state could make itself a mausoleum choking out youth, or it could lose it's identity to new and improved MTV culture. Tricky balancing act. West Virginians are horrible about tooting their own horn rightfully. It's immodest to their sensibilities. It's a different kind of conservative, not the stereotypical one. Just like Alaska who didn't appear to me as being populated by loud mouths or fanatics.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Please, Lawrence Welk reruns are getting better numbers than her show.
Yeah, you and Larry's heirs only WISH that were so.

Why do you make claims that are so easily debunked?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...rises-17/73790

I don't know - does Lawrence get 3.5-5 million viewers per episode?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies