Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it's not what it seems to be..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p9WgQese5k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Looking at the charts, it's easy to see why most of those at the poverty level are White (Whites are a much larger percentage of the whole), but when looking at the percentage of poverty level by group, Whites (and Asians) have a much lower rate of occurrence than other groups.

For the purpose of this discussion, though, race is irrelevant. The problem is that welfare women's birth rate is 3 times that of everyone else's.
Thanks for taking the time to share. I do attribute the stats to discrimination against minorities more than anything else though. I think minorities figure out a way to survive and they do what they have to do - which doesn't say I think it's right, but it is smart on some level for them to live this way. They SURVIVE. At what level, not much, but humans seem to have that self-preservation instinct going on.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I can only speak as someone who has lived in SB1070 land for seven years now. "WE" know what it means. I can't speak for the rest of the country or its residents.
Everyone knows what it means. It means people should abide by our immigration laws. But how strange. You want unlimited numbers of people to come here and no immigration laws of any kind enforced - even if many come to take jobs and are brought in to lower wages but then you turn around and WHINE about not enough jobs??? That makes no sense.

The USA simply cannot provide all the jobs for the whole world or even for all the hispanic nations.

Your beloved illegals are much of the problem - with over 30 million of them here, at least 10 million of them working, taking jobs from Americans, how can you then pretend to care about Americans not having jobs?

Maybe some of those welfare people would work if so many jobs weren't sent to China and so many illegals brought in - especially to states like Arizona.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the problem isn't having kids - it's having them BEFORE you can afford them. That's an easy way to never be able to afford them.
Bingo! That level of irresponsibility perpetuates poverty. The problem is... our government incentivizes and rewards that behavior, while punishing and penalizing self-sufficiency, productivity, and success.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Everyone knows what it means. It means people should abide by our immigration laws. But how strange. You want unlimited numbers of people to come here and no immigration laws of any kind enforced - even if many come to take jobs and are brought in to lower wages but then you turn around and WHINE about not enough jobs??? That makes no sense.

The USA simply cannot provide all the jobs for the whole world or even for all the hispanic nations.

Your beloved illegals are much of the problem - with over 30 million of them here, at least 10 million of them working, taking jobs from Americans, how can you then pretend to care about Americans not having jobs?

Maybe some of those welfare people would work if so many jobs weren't sent to China and so many illegals brought in - especially to states like Arizona.
You have NO idea of what you speak. I, personally, am waiting on that BIG WALL to be built that people like McCain and Brewer haven't done yet.

The truth is that I say we stay out of other people's business, employ Americans, bring our jobs back, HEAVILY penalize those who ship jobs overseas, STOP making it a requirement that one be bilingual for a job (even though I am), stop fighting wars, stop doling out money to other countries when we have far too many problems here, and provide national health care to all American citizens. And, yes, I AM a proud liberal. Oh, and do you realize the US is 5% of the world's population yet eats up 25% of the resources? At some point, it has to stop. Yes, I am in favor of limiting children.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
God, it only took 60 posts or so for an intelligent comment.

I do disagree with you about six kids though. This world simply does not have the resources to sustain the population growth. And the US doesn't have the jobs.

The rest of what you say, I agree with, but it no longer applies in the "new normal."
Middle class people having 6 kids (or more) isn't the problem - I don't care what race they are, I know a black family with 6 kids, the dad works two jobs and they live quite well.

A large number of people don't really want kids - they'd rather travel, have a house without fingerprints on walls, or they want to dedicate themselves to their careers.

Look at Europe, they are having very few kids. Someone who really loves kids and can afford kids isn't the problem at all.

It is a problem when the government dependent begin to outnumber the taxpayers. And also when other countries refuse to work on over-population and poverty issues because they intend to dump their excess populations (or encourage them to break the laws of the USA and come here).

What would work better is for other countries to solve some of their social problems by really solving them, not urging them to get to the USA, and for our welfare system to change. Able bodied people should not have welfare as a choice.

But also - the USA should stop exporting it's jobs and stop importing the cheapest possible labor. Import taxes could help bring some jobs back.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Hmm, InformedConsent and Malamute make good points. But, it leads me to think of one thing: it is our natural desire and biological makeup to want to reproduce whether it is for human need of wanting an offspring or that having that child is simply the result of the other human need, sex. So, can we put restrictions on having children?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Bingo! That level of irresponsibility perpetuates poverty. The problem is... our government incentivizes and rewards that behavior, while punishing and penalizing self-sufficiency, productivity, and success.
And that includes the people of other nations that could finish school and go to college, get a job and some job skills and marry BEFORE they start having kids but instead they have the kids at very young ages, have little education and then expect the USA to take them in and provide them good jobs or government handouts.

That includes Mexico which actually has a large and growing middle class - and to be middle class there takes the same effort and personal responsibility and self control as here - finish school, obtain a job, marriage -- BEFORE having babies. People in Mexico who do that are what's building their middle class.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Well you know what they say - If you plan on being rich AND having kids, you better GET rich first or you never will be once the kids come along.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
And that includes the people of other nations that could finish school and go to college, get a job and some job skills and marry BEFORE they start having kids but instead they have the kids at very young ages, have little education and then expect the USA to take them in and provide them good jobs or government handouts.

That includes Mexico which actually has a large and growing middle class - and to be middle class there takes the same effort and personal responsibility and self control as here - finish school, obtain a job, marriage -- BEFORE having babies. People in Mexico who do that are what's building their middle class.
I used to work for a Mexican grower. I don't think you quite understand the level of corruption in that country. We got business done via corruption and MONEY. We crossed chemicals into that country to grow tomatoes that are not allowed in this country. And you ate those same tomatoes you bought at the grocery store!

Granted, this was a while back, but with all the cartels and murders happening now, you are not going to convince me things are headed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies