Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM

212 posts, read 320,618 times

Advertisements

so the rest of us don't have to pay taxes to fund your kids. Until you have banked 300k, you aint ready to raise your FIRST kid. 200k more for each additional kid. No reason for a woman to have a kid before she's 30, or a man before he's 35. If the 2 of you aint got 300k in 15 years combined, then you CAN'T raise kids properly, in the US, most likely. So forget it. quit putting the load on other people! each kid takes 1`/4 million to raise properly, mother should be there for them until they are 6-7 years old, in PRIVATE school. So you lose her income for those years and need baby sitters, so mom can take sanity breaks. Quit putting the load of your retirement on ss and tax payers, or on your kids. Save-invest properly, or don't have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
so the rest of us don't have to pay taxes to fund your kids. Until you have banked 300k, you aint ready to raise your FIRST kid. 200k more for each additional kid. No reason for a woman to have a kid before she's 30, or a man before he's 35. If the 2 of you aint got 300k in 15 years combined, then you CAN'T raise kids properly, in the US, most likely. So forget it. quit putting the load on other people! each kid takes 1`/4 million to raise properly, mother should be there for them until they are 6-7 years old, in PRIVATE school. So you lose her income for those years and need baby sitters, so mom can take sanity breaks. Quit putting the load of your retirement on ss and tax payers, or on your kids. Save-invest properly, or don't have kids.
I agree with your premise that people shouldn't have kids until they can afford them. However, I think some of your arguments are way out of line. Lets look at them line by line:

No kids until you have banked $300k. $200k for each additional. Seriously? This is more than 80-90% of people ever save. So you are saying no kids for 80-90% of the population. Not reasonable. A stable income would be desirable, but $300K? No way.

1`/4 million to raise properly
You must be raising your kids alot differently than mine. We're planning nowhere near that amount-college included.

mother should be there for them until they are 6-7 years old
This would be nice for many. But it is not a necessity. Studies haven't shown major harms to those in daycare-as long as they have a stable home life.

PRIVATE school
Why pay for a private school if the public schools in your area are perfectly good? My kids are getting a very good education through the public schools. Or are you arguing that society shouldn't provide public schools?

And, whats wrong with taking Social Security? It is a plan people paid into with an expectation of being able to get the promised benefit.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Money and mommy dont guarentee kids are raised properly. Granted people should not have children if the tax payers are having to provide the basics for them. Im thinking of my grandparents. They were in their early 20s when they started a family. They sure didnt have much money, no car or even indoor bathroom facilities. No private school either. According to mom they had to walk to public school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways. My grandparents raised 12 kids between them. All well adjusted members of society that never spent a day in jail or was never addicted to illegal or prescription drugs. They all went on to start families and hold down jobs and all but one of the men served in the military, my dad on the front lines and one uncle died in service to this country.
My grandparents and parents were taxpayers and most likey drew out only a fraction of the SS they paid in over their lifetime. They didnt die with big bank accounts, but they live and die surrounded by their loving family. Well except for grandma, she is still going strong at 104.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Your numbers are a bit off. Trust me, my wife and I had nothing close to even 5k banked when we had children, we had only been married a year and a half when we had our first, And both of us were younger than 30. Even though we got divorced years later, the only people who provided financial support was the 2 of us.

As for retirement, by the time I am retired, my hone will be paid for, and between my 401k and all other savings etc etc, without SS being figured in, I should have over $1800.00 income, and no debt.

Not everyone needs to meet your criteria, to do right by their kids, and retire one day, without picking your pocket.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,274,533 times
one can be rich and well of, not work in their entire life, and still raise crap kids. income level and length of stay at home, doesn't guarantee good kids.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
I will bet a dime to a donut that those low lifes that make OWS look so bad are from very well monied families.The OP seems to be very out of touch with real life.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Money and mommy dont guarentee kids are raised properly. Granted people should not have children if the tax payers are having to provide the basics for them. Im thinking of my grandparents. They were in their early 20s when they started a family. They sure didnt have much money, no car or even indoor bathroom facilities. No private school either. According to mom they had to walk to public school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways. My grandparents raised 12 kids between them. All well adjusted members of society that never spent a day in jail or was never addicted to illegal or prescription drugs. They all went on to start families and hold down jobs and all but one of the men served in the military, my dad on the front lines and one uncle died in service to this country.
My grandparents and parents were taxpayers and most likey drew out only a fraction of the SS they paid in over their lifetime. They didnt die with big bank accounts, but they live and die surrounded by their loving family. Well except for grandma, she is still going strong at 104.
If Grandma is 104 she has collected several times as much as she and her husband paid in.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,059,627 times
Yeah, only good things can happen from the birth rate dropping 80-90%.

Why not take away immigration as well and see how many people are left to do the jobs.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I will bet a dime to a donut that those low lifes that make OWS look so bad are from very well monied families.The OP seems to be very out of touch with real life.
That's for sure.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:14 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Reminds me of the character in "A Christmas Carol" What was his name again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies