Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Or companies pack up and move abroad. Run a correlation of the number of factories GM closed in the late 70s versus the number of GM factories that were opened in Mexico and Canada. The point was that outsourcing- God I really hate that word- is nothing new. Every few years people get all bent out of shape about it and act as if it just appeared last year and its so and so's fault. Puhleeeezzeeee! I don't like it, but to act as if its a new dynamic orchestrated by <insert politician's name) is ignorant.
Its called building the factories where the products are needed. Do you not think they sell cars in Mexico, Canada? Do you think they all ride bikes? Do you really think its all about cutting down labor costs? You'd think they'd spend hundreds of millions building a plant in Mexico to save $10M in labor? Really? The math doesnt work unless of course you include things like the cutting out of mandated benefits, mandated taxes, mandated procedures etc. If it was all about cutting labor they could stay here and just modernize the hell outta their business. I have one company that has zero employees.. I could move it anywhere. Yes I modernized so it didnt need any employees but I would have done so be it here in america, or if I was located in Mexico. I computerized to get rid of the headaches of employee maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
As for your second statement, yea whatever. Technology shrinks distances.
Technology also shrinks labor costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:48 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

What else would it be? Even if you take the orthodox conservative argument that jobs are leaving because taxes are too high, that's still technically greed, ie: wanting to keep a larger share of the pie. Though it's greed some would argue is justified.
It all started with WTO and NAFTA. What's funny is Liberals and Progressives are all about "World Citizens" and want to do business with every nation on the planet, but at the same time want Americans to make more than everyone else in the world. How does this actually work? This attitude prices American workers right out of the market. That's why things are going overseas. You can't have it both ways. Kind of ironic that these same people are all for wealth redistribution, then complain that the middle class wealth is disappearing?!?! WTF?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:

What else would it be? Even if you take the orthodox conservative argument that jobs are leaving because taxes are too high, that's still technically greed, ie: wanting to keep a larger share of the pie. Though it's greed some would argue is justified.
No, its not greedy to want keep the rewards of your labor..

Greed is defined as
strong desire for more: an overwhelming desire to have more of something such as money than is actually needed

Under that definition, isnt everyone greedy? Doesnt everyone desire to have more of SOMETHING? Do you consider that bad? Some want larger homes, some want a nicer car.. Heck some want a car to begin with because they dont have one.. Even the poor are greedy under this definition are they not? Dont they want more? Dont liberals stand here every day talking about how its not fair others have more than them? Sounds to me its the liberals being greedy.

Businesses on the other hand are simply reducing costs to increase profits but they do so not as a desire to have more, but as a desire to be better.. Produce better, have a better bottom line. In fact corporations have an obligation to do their best to maximize rewards. Thats not greed, thats fufilling an obligation.

I dont continue to buy more buildings for example out of greed. I dont expand my internet companies out of greed. I do because its my personal enjoyment to build and see things getting done. I love it when a plan comes through and a deal gets done, when a sale gets done, it has little to do with the profits generated. (or lack of profits if you read my posting the other day)

The result might be the same, which is more profit, but definately the motivation is different.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It all started with WTO and NAFTA. What's funny is Liberals and Progressives are all about "World Citizens" and want to do business with every nation on the planet, but at the same time want Americans to make more than everyone else in the world. How does this actually work? This attitude prices American workers right out of the market. That's why things are going overseas. You can't have it both ways. Kind of ironic that these same people are all for wealth redistribution, then complain that the middle class wealth is disappearing?!?! WTF?
What's also funny is that free market capitalists favour the free movement of capital but don't also favour the other requisite free movement of labour, which would necessitate much more lax immigration laws. Capitalism is just as theoretically internationalist as its inverse.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, its not greedy to want keep the rewards of your labor..

Greed is defined as
strong desire for more: an overwhelming desire to have more of something such as money than is actually needed

Under that definition, isnt everyone greedy? Doesnt everyone desire to have more of SOMETHING? Do you consider that bad? Some want larger homes, some want a nicer car.. Heck some want a car to begin with because they dont have one.. Even the poor are greedy under this definition are they not? Dont they want more? Dont liberals stand here every day talking about how its not fair others have more than them? Sounds to me its the liberals being greedy.

Businesses on the other hand are simply reducing costs to increase profits but they do so not as a desire to have more, but as a desire to be better.. Produce better, have a better bottom line. In fact corporations have an obligation to do their best to maximize rewards. Thats not greed, thats fufilling an obligation.

I dont continue to buy more buildings for example out of greed. I dont expand my internet companies out of greed. I do because its my personal enjoyment to build and see things getting done. I love it when a plan comes through and a deal gets done, when a sale gets done, it has little to do with the profits generated. (or lack of profits if you read my posting the other day)

The result might be the same, which is more profit, but definately the motivation is different.
I'm not saying this desire to have more is necessarily a bad thing. I was just confused as to what you meant when you said greed isn't it, as though the desire for more money was subordinate to some other motivation that didn't have to do with keeping more profit.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
What's also funny is that free market capitalists favour the free movement of capital but don't also favour the other requisite free movement of labour, which would necessitate much more lax immigration laws. Capitalism is just as theoretically internationalist as its inverse.
Has nothing to do with what I posted. Don't you find it ironic that even you yourself is b*tching and moaning about the middle class wealth disappearing but you support wealth redistribution? That's about as crazy and looney as it gets. You support it happening then complain about the outcome. Why?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
The problem with greed is at some point it becomes irrational, it is not good enough to have more than the next person, it becomes the goal to have it all. At that point you leave the other people with little or nothing to loose and in so doing condemn yourself.
Then as the royal family just discovered, you find angry mobs, wanting your heads.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Has nothing to do with what I posted. Don't you find it ironic that even you yourself is b*tching and moaning about the middle class wealth disappearing but you support wealth redistribution? That's about as crazy and looney as it gets. You support it happening then complain about the outcome. Why?
Wealth distribution has been going on for the past 50 years. That is the problem. The working class are fed up with being robbed for the benefit of the rich.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying this desire to have more is necessarily a bad thing. I was just confused as to what you meant when you said greed isn't it, as though the desire for more money was subordinate to some other motivation that didn't have to do with keeping more profit.
I dont think Warren Buffet for example continues to build wealth out of greed, do you? Donald Trump.. Nope.. Do you think Bill Gates continues to create new editions of Windows just so he can donate the profits? For some people, its the art of the deal.. Its the challenge of getting the impossible done. Its doing what others said couldnt be done.. Its the challenge, not the profit that motivates them.

Why else would billionaires take their whole life to obtain wealth only to give it away?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So if you are home shopping and you have two condos right next to one another, exactly the same.. You choose the more expensive on? I bet you dont. Why do you have different standards for corporations than you?
Poor comparison...

What corporations are doing is not in the best interest of the USA or it's people,it is however in the best interest of the corporation.

Thing is,some people here and in the gov. confuse the corporations best interests with the nations and it's people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies