Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Do you really think if we open that pipeline, that refiners would pass those savings onto the consumer?
So what production is at its highest? It can and should be higher. The refiners do not set the price of oil the mercantile exchange does, and yes increased supply would cause the price to go down. We also need increased refinery capacity.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The women don't have to be the ones paying for the birth control, couldn't they have their dates take at least some of the date money to buy a condom, maybe cut back a little on dinner?

Why can't people ever be expected to pay for anything? What's next? Insurance to cover the cost of cat and dog food because some people have pets? Or they don't have sex but want others to pay for what they do want?
Why do I have to pay for the military to protect corporate interests abroad? Why do I have to pay for anything related to private corporations? Can't they protect and fend for themselves? THESE are examples where we should be outraged at our tax dollars being wasted.

Would you support handing out clean needles to drug users to prevent the spread of disease? Just as in the birth control situation, it's a choice between the lesser of two evils. Sure, I'd much rather pay for fixing a pothole, but if paying for birth control keeps an unwanted child from being born and keeps us from having to pay for its care, I'll do it just as I'd hand the needle to the drug user to spare me and everyone else from having to pay for another sick person. Sometimes you gotta spend money to keep from spending even more.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:33 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
Why do liberals scream about $5 birth control pills but not $5/gallon gasoline?
Because the price birth control pills can be affected by Govt. mandates and should be free anyway but gas is in the hands of the oil giants and not our President. Amazing how some here believe that the President of the United States dictates oil prices........... i'm sure they don't really( they can't be that stupid ) but there is a election coming up.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am still trying to find out where in the Constitution it says anything about the federal goverment being allowed to provide UHC much less birth control. UHC coming from a goverment that might not be a goverment in the future. all this is, is white wash, just like a pig with lipstick. you can dress it up all you want, but in the end it is still a pig.
Not sure where it says in the constitution that a UHC shouldn't be mandated by Govt. .... The preamble does say however............
"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
The health of a individual is definately their general welfare.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
If $5 for birth control pills is such a terrible burden for sexually active women to bear, then surely $5/gallon gasoline is an even worse burden for all working Americans. Yet we never hear liberals screaming about $5 gasoline, only $5 birth control pills. In fact, unlike with birth control, when it comes to gasoline prices, liberals demand that we change our lifestyle to accommodate higher gas prices, yet if we ask women to change their lifestyle to accommodate the cost of birth control, liberals scream that we're a bunch of sexists. If women don't have to pay $5 for birth control, why should I have to pay $5 for gasoline? They need birth control to fornicate? Well I need gasoline for my car.

Liberals demand that I buy an Obama motors electric car, move closer to my workplace, use mass transit, etc. to cope with gas prices yet they have no problem with government funded birth control so women can fornicate freely. Why shouldn't the government pay for the gas that goes into my car. Or if not the government, why shouldn't my auto insurance be required to pay for my gasoline? You say because auto insurance is for injuries and property damage not gasoline. Well health insurance is for injuries and illnesses not for recreational purposes. So if taxpayers have to pay for women's contraception, it's only fair that they also pay for gasoline in my car.

Get a grip, really.

With all of the problems this country has, the conservatives focus on birth control. BIRTH CONTROL. Congratulations on landing on another non-issue.

Ask Sarah Palin how abstinence only worked for her family. (hint---it didn't)

And then the OP compares GAS PRICES to birth control...I would say apples and oranges, but they aren't even close to the same thing.

Keep going guys, the more you bloviate about this nonsense, the better chance Obama has of getting re-elected.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
So what production is at its highest? It can and should be higher. The refiners do not set the price of oil the mercantile exchange does, and yes increased supply would cause the price to go down. We also need increased refinery capacity.
Under Obama, the USA is producing record amounts of oil. Which is "Not good enough!" I guess .... we need super record amounts of oil?

Why did the price of oil go down under Bush? After it ramped up so high?
CLUE: It wasn't production.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I am still trying to find out where in the Constitution it says anything about the federal goverment being allowed to provide UHC much less birth control. UHC coming from a goverment that might not be a goverment in the future. all this is, is white wash, just like a pig with lipstick. you can dress it up all you want, but in the end it is still a pig.
Where in the U.S. constitution does it say a person must provide photo I.D. in order to vote?

Yet conservatives are dying to make that into law.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Under Obama, the USA is producing record amounts of oil. Which is "Not good enough!" I guess .... we need super record amounts of oil?

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We can produce as much as we like but it will not change a thing..... the refineries cannot keep up with production if we drill too much so no change in how much gas we get.
Oil prices are set globally and not by the POTUS.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Of the liberals I know, more of the scream about high gas prices versus birth control and gas here is still under $4 a gallon.

As for me, I am a woman, not a liberal and am currently not screaming about the price of either of the topics being discussed. I live close to work/school (less than 2 miles) so don't use a lot of gas. I also am not on birth control.

But wanted to note that I did get BC pills from PP in college and they were not free. They were based on income on a sliding scale and I had to pay $25 a month, which for me at the time, making minimum wage, was difficult some months but my boyfriend (now husband) bought them for me LOL!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:

We are EXPORTING that oil while we IMPORT what we use. Does that make sense to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies